bflorendo-the sound tech----glasto was perfect!

xtraspicy62

Hi bflorendo and any other tech out there...

when I heard and watched the live feed from justintv.com, and now the youtube videos, I swear, the sound is so good Im in heaven!

who did the sound for the pyramid stage?

they did an outstanding job.

that was the best show I've ever seen so far...

or should I say heard?

I wish I was there! I'd think the audio feed would be coming from the FOH console to the production trucks (of BBC network, etc...), just like any network coverage you'd see on TV. Joe O'Herlihy (U2 FOH engineer) and Joe Ravich (U2 audio systems tech) would be there, but I highly doubt most of their audio crew wasn't there. They have one tech in charge of flying the P.A. for each side of the Claw. The P.A. used for Glastonbury is very different from what they use on the U2 360 tour. U2 have always used Clair Brothers Int'l (the largest audio company in the world), that manufacture their own P.A. In this case, the i5 line array system are being used on the U2 360 tour. As for Glastonbury, I think the local audio company providing is RG Jones...they're using Martin Audio longbow line array system. So for this, the U2 audio crew probably let the 'house' audio company tune the P.A. system, and then the Joe's probably did some minor tweeking. But as far as the audio feed you're hearing, that's straight from the console...I'm assuming U2 brought their DigiCo SD7 consoles, which sound great for a digital console...warm sounding. Have worked on those.

• Subscriber

Sometimes you could hear the hum that's familiar to guitarists like me when Edge and Bono were plugging in their guitars to their amps. But it was awesome, and the way that the synths on Elevation couldn't be heard took me back to the Vertigo Tour versions. Superb stuff!

oh man, the lighting and the graphics were superb as well!! all of the beautiful colors in vertigo...the swirling reds...lovely, so lovely!

wonder who sets up the lighting here?

anyways, FOH, is that the giant sound board looking thing out front?

FOH - Front of House is where Joe O'Herlihy mixes from....the best sounding area of the venue. Also, Willie would be there doing the lights. Same thing goes for lighting, although Willie would have more control of where his lights go. Him and his techs program the lighting sequences. However, some of the lighting would belong to the local lighting company. U2 uses PRG for their lighting.

FOH - Front of House is where Joe O'Herlihy mixes from....the best sounding area of the venue. Also, Willie would be there doing the lights. Same thing goes for lighting, although Willie would have more control of where his lights go. Him and his techs program the lighting sequences. However, some of the lighting would belong to the local lighting company. U2 uses PRG for their lighting.

Hi Bflorendo -- We've got seats in section 124 in Chicago.  So, are you saying we should have great sound?

SoldierField-SoundQuestionforBflorndo-1.jpg

[quote name='Nancy_Hanks wrote:

bflorendo']FOH - Front of House is where Joe O'Herlihy mixes from....the best sounding area of the venue. Also, Willie would be there doing the lights. Same thing goes for lighting, although Willie would have more control of where his lights go. Him and his techs program the lighting sequences. However, some of the lighting would belong to the local lighting company. U2 uses PRG for their lighting.

Hi Bflorendo -- We've got seats in section 124 in Chicago.  So, are you saying we should have great sound?

SoldierField-SoundQuestionforBflorndo-1.jpg

If your seats aren't underneath any over hangs, it should be great. You guys are behind FOH, you'll see 2 stacks of P.A. flown behind it....and that's right about where Joe will be. FOH is 2 levels. Willie will be on the top floor.