Was PoP U2's last great album??

Bononeedley

I have been a U2 fan for almost 21 Years , My first Tour was Zoo TV and my last tour was Vertigo...does anyone feel the same as me that U2 reached thier peak with 1997's Album PoP??

I have to say I hardly listen to any albums after PoP as I fine them Mediocre , Sure there are some great songs on ATYCLB  , HTDAAB & NLOTH but as albums they are poor...

After watching Glastonbury recently  , I have to confess I feel sorry for Bono as he just doesn't have the voice any more to sing these great great songs...

Am I in the minority here??

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

ATYCLB &HTDAAB albums and tours were/are precious and profound and got me thru many of my darkest hours. And even hard-core non fans like the big tracks.The tours were magic! Don't know where you've been- i can only assume you're trying to pick a fight...not cool dude.

For me, ATYCLB and HTDAAB are at the bottom as my favorite U2 albums, but for others, it's their top 2. NLOTH is a good album. I think it's their 2nd Pop CD...it's different, and a few years later, fans will be saying that it's a great album...just like Pop. It just goes to show how diverse U2's song writing is. My top 2 is still AB and Boy, but that can be the bottom 2. Plus, the great thing about U2's songs are that they grow on you. Again, when they release a new album, to me, it's not an overnight hit. It's like the songs want you to listen to them over and over again. Of course, I don't think they can top JT or AB, but it will be close. If its their "sci-fi" album, look for The Edge to be the star. Look for this new album to be compared to AB and Zooropa. I also sense that, like The Beatles, Bono has material, and The Edge has material. Bono's more of the straight forward songs (Lennon), and The Edge's are more of a journey (McCartney). As for Bono's voice, he sounded great. Naturally at that age, he has to take care of his voice more. Doing interviews, on off days, does not do his voice any good. He can still reach the notes (check out Miss Sarajevo), it's more of endurance. Apart from the tour, they're also did recording sessions for Spiderman, as well as their new albums. As for touring, it speaks for itself.

• Subscriber

The value of these threads is in our ability to draft them with our honest opinion and not have to become the subject of scrutiny without merit.  Constructive is one thing and some comments are the other.  I completely disagree with Bononeedley but I am glad he-she posted their opinion for debate and they should NOT be criticized for doing so.  If we have topics and threads that are all gush gush only then what do we have?

To debate the "reach their peak with Pop..."  one only needs to look at the evidence-data and hard numbers.  We are fortunate that they have been with us for so long.  To debate being at ones "peak" is too broad and doesn't consider all the variables like age, technology, sound, etc.  Trust me that U2 is as good today as ever in my opinion.  When people ask me what album is my favorite I always answer truthfully ...."My favorite album is the newest one."

Think of the day when we will no longer have a new U2 album on its way or having just come out and its very sad.  Absorb todays moments with great value and you can minimize your regret. 

On that topic I am going to start at thread about last nights Lansing show and we will see how much grief I get.  Been going since 1984 so......

Webby

Rendo & Webby , This is what I wanted , a discussion , thanks for replying....I understand you're comments , I guess as fans of anything we will always have our classic eras for U2 , Mine being , War Tour , UF Tour and Zoo TV & Popmart...

I loved it on the Elevation tour that they played arenas , was a great atmosphere , indoor gigs are more intense IMO...But what U2 do so well is create a stage for Stadiums , because of the enormatiy of the stage setups for Zoo , Popmart and 360 , it makes the stadium look small , so that is a great thing for a band to create..

As for as "PEAK" I believe everyone has a peak in whatever they do and for someone to say that Bad now compared to Bad say upto Zoo Tv it was fkn amazing vocally , But watch Bad at Glastonbury and it's just a poor imitation of what once was and that makes me SAD...

I just feel that Bono reached his Vocal peak at PoP....As for Miss Sarajevo , i don't particularly like the tenor version he does , I prefer the original off Passengers , but it's a great vocal performance on the song live...