Rate Your U2 Albums 1 to 12.

bflorendo

Rate your U2 albums, #1 being your best. "Best ofs", EP's and B-sides are not included. Also list the reasons.

1. Achtung Baby - Every song on there is great! Great 1st single, The Fly, to kick it off. They took a risk by changing their sound from the Joshua Tree album. I think this made them untouchable when it came to stadium/arena show...even today!

2. Boy - At that age, the Boy tracks, IMO, were beyond their years. Just imagine it being released during these times? Out of Control and I Will Follow!

3. War - Rock 'n' Raw! The album that caught my attention, at a young age. The album that created U2's identity.

4. The Joshua Tree - These are just great songs! More diverse and going against the music trend at that time. The new stadium rock.

5. The Unforgettable Fire - A lot of the lyrics here were so visual. The Unforgettable Fire is my #1 U2 song! Anthem rock!

6. Pop - Hit me during my raving days. Probably the riskiest album they've ever created, and rushed. Shows that U2 can adapt, but still maintain their sound. Also translated into awesome live songs. Looking forward to the remaster/completed release of this album. Always discovering something new, whenever I listen to this album.

7. NLOTH - Great to get away from the 2 "hit" albums. More artful and experimentation. A combo of Achtung Baby and The Unforgettable Fire, IMO. Just like Pop, more U2 fans will come to appreciate this in the future.

8. October - Boy + spirituality. Again, a band at that age, with sophomore jinx in front of them. Managed to stay away from being pigeon-holed as a "Christian" band, which could've limited their success. What other band, at that age, would come up with songs like Tomorrow, Threw a Brick and Gloria?

9. Zooropa - A time when a lot of  "bad" music was around (in the mainstream...boy bands and divas)...thank God this came out! Electronic rock music and ballads.

10. Rattle & Hum - How could they top The Joshua Tree? How bout add in some live tracks and dive into the blues? I still wish they would revisit Hawkmoon 269 and God II for their setlists.

11. HTDAAB - Safe, but still focused on the world's issues, as well as the death of Mr. Bob Hewson. Vertigo just reminded me of Beautiful day...catchy jingle. But it works well live. SYCMIOYO is my favorite here.

12. ATYCLB - Very safe hits. Trying to win back the chart positions. Kite and When I Look at the World were my favorites on this album.

• Subscriber

1. Achtung Baby- This has to be the best album ever. I'd never heard the sounds that I've heard in that album before. Each song is different but connects so well with each other. The Fly is my current favorite. I mean, you have at least 6 hits on that album in itself. To think it all started with One...AMAZING. And I love the whole era itself-the way they dress etc. NO ONE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO CONQUER THIS MASTERPIECE...let alone be able to  play it. laugh.gif

2. The Joshua Tree- Another epic. Some of the best stuff on this album. It really is classic U2. Running to Stand Still and One Tree Hill are little gems. I mean, look at the first five songs--streets, still havent found, WOWY, bullet, and Running. AMAZING AND SO INSPIRING. Oh, and Bono's voice is so rich!!!!!!!!!!

3. How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb-This album made me fall in love with U2. City of Blinding Lights is my first U2 love. It means a lot to me. I personally think Adam really shines on this album. It is a real U2 rock album. I love it. Miracle Drug and Original of the Species and A Man and A Women are gems. 

4. War- Amazing!!! Bono's voice is so strong! They were really finding who they were on this album. I love Seconds (go Edge!) and New Years Day is one of my favorites...Two Hearts...Like a Song...It makes me want to stand up for what i believe in. 

5. All That You Can't Leave Behind- I LOVE this album. I don't think it's safe--I think the band threw all of themselves into this album. They connected so well with the music with the playing and the lyrics--and that's not being safe. This is in general a slower kind go album. Peace on Earth, WILATW, and Grace and BEAUTIFUL 

6. The Unforgettable Fire-WOW.  Pride is a staple in it's self. I love Promenade and Homecoming and MLK is raw and beautiful and it will become my children's lullaby. 

7. NLOTH- I don't care whatever you guys say--I LOVE BOOTS. It was the first song I ever downloaded without coaxing and I love it. Crazy is amazing, MOS is beautiful and had become very personal. Overall it is very experimental and relaxing. 

8. Zooropa-Zooropa has become my anthem. I belt it at the top of my lungs. I find babyface kinda funny and lighthearted. Stay is AMAZING. The first time deserves more attention. I love this experimental U2 more than Pop experimental U2. 

9. Boy-OUT OF CONTROLLLLLL. I really love this album. Great tune there. I love IWF. Even when U2 was starting out, they had great lyrics. I love Bono's voice--it's so young! I wish I could have seen them perform during this time. Rockin the 'fro Adamhappy.gif

10. Rattle and Hum-ALL I WANT IS YOU  is so BEAUTIFUL. I love the music and the harmonica. Love the Bullet the Blue sky version-I memorized Bono's speech. It's great! happy.gif God II is great as well. and Angel of Harlem is my favorite. SO is Helter Skelter. I like the way they do this song. 

11. Pop-I have mixed feelings about this album. I love it. Has some great hits on it. I am just not one of those fans who thinks the sun shines in this album. I love love love Discotheque and Gone and Mofo!!!!!!! Has some great experimental stuff on it. 

12. October- I love Gloria. I love I Threw a Brick. It's a great album. On many ways, I'm still discovering it. I wish they would play Gloria some more. Bono's voice is also great here. 

• Subscriber

zooropa: i love the whole spirit of this album. lyrics and how it makes me feel. also i didnt give this album or pop a real chance when they just came out. only learned to appreciate them a couple of years ago when i realized how they showed me a whole different u2, compared to the JT & R&H-u2 i fell in love with.... and i got to love that 'new' side of them.

pop: same reasons, and i love the sarcasm in this one, like they make fun of their own status of big rockband... and strip down to their bare self. their aspirations, ambition, selfishness.

achtung baby: a bit ra:, love the fly, acrobat, love is blindness. this album almost broke them apart, right? love how they managed to stay ONE.
war: oh, the young, fierce, intense message! always reminds me of bruce springsteen shouting: WAR! what is it goodn for? absolutely nothing!!
october/boy: share the 5th place. october a little dreamy. boy with lots of great songs and tunes.
unforgetable fire: great music, love bad, unforgetable fire and promenade and indian summer sky...
under a blood red sky :not allowed?? but i love the partygirl on this!!!
how to dismantle an atomic bomb: brought me back to the big, almost obsessive love i had for them in the beginning when i was a teen. i kinda got stuck on playing the R&H and JT for a couple of years while i got married, had babies ... then this came out, and when i missed out on the vertigo-tour cause of exams i promissed myself i would never miss out on another u2-tour!!
rattle & hum: my very first album. lots of great songs: hawkmoon, love rescue me, silver&gold,....
no line on the horizon: brought me to my first concert, after wanting to be in the middle of that crowd for so long!!
joshua tree: love exit!!
all that you cant leave behind: the more mainstream album to me. a bit on the safe side? but i do love in a little while!

this list is based on how often i play the albums. so it does change every couple of months. but the top 3 kinda stays pretty much the same. last few months i prefer the younger u2 in war and boy over the more trained u2 in later albums like NLOTH and ATYCLB....

• Subscriber

1. Achtung Baby

When i was at school in 1991, a fellow student was listening to the new album on tape on his walkmen. Being a fan at the time i asked him what is it like. He said it was different, with alot of drums and heavy guitars. It's good. I couldn't wait to listen to this album. I had to wait to xmas to get my cd copy of it. I put it on and i totally had mixed feeling about it. How times change eh?

2. The Joshua Tree

Being in the Army Cadets, hahaha, i remember hearing the intro to Streets, i was like who is this?!?!?! Someone said it's U2. I never heard Streets until then, i was into U2 then but i didnt own a copy of the album. I then went on a U2 mission to buy the albums up to JT in 1988. It was the album which to me at the time was our Sgt.Peppers

3. Boy

Brilliant debut. It's perfect. Full of energy and the music is so ahead of its time. It is the U2 album i play the most. It's perfect.

4. The Unforgettable Fire

During my dicover of the band through Live Aid and listening to them after the Cadet moment, my friend at school said have you heard Unforgettable Fire? He told me it better than The Joshua Tree......I thought he was having a laugh! So he did me a copy on tape and i listened. It's close! But no cigar!

5. Zooropa

To me THIS is the joshua tree on ACID! So inventive, so o u t T H E R E...so The Edge! This is his album. I bought this album on day of release, put it on my walkmen, and played it again, and again, and again, and again.......and then took some acid, and listened again, and again,,,,,,,,,,,,

6. Pop

Love the idea. Love the colour of the music. Love the production. It is a real shame the songs just were not finished. They did try to finish them, best of versions, single mixes, but it doesnt take away the idea that the band wanted to find the new sound. The big beat era at the time, with the arrival of The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy's peak, fitted very well. But there was a band from Oxford called Radiohead, and they released an album called Ok Computer.............they had songs that were finished.

7. No Line On The Horizon

U2 back to their best. After two safe albums in a row, U2 dig out their paint brushes and create art. Shame the masses wanted something with more beef, but instead they got The Unforgettable Fire part 2! That is what this album reminds me of so much. It's also around the time me and Mrs.Mac won the radio one competition to see them play 3 new songs off the album in the radio one theatre infront of 200 people. It was a magical time being a U2 fan.

8. Rattle & Hum

Bit long. Probably the least played U2 album because of the length. Would have been nice if it was just new studio tracks, i didnt think the mix with live works. More a soundtrack album than a U2 album. Which is why i will always prefer watching the film. BUT, songs like Hawkmoon, Heartland, All I Want Is You, Desire, Angel Of Harlem are songs which are worth listening to.

9. War

Side one, great! Fantastic. Side two, wtf? Surrender and 40 save the day! Hurrah!

10. October

This music is fantastic! The energy! The sound of 4 young men playing like their lives depended on it. And it did! They were broke, had no money, difficult times. Larry was under pressure to find a job and quit the band. Then Bono being Bono got distracted by two girls, and had his lyrics stolen. This album could have been right up there, if Bono had some melodies and lyrics to go with the music.

11. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Meat and Potatoes. Contains a few good songs, but mainly songs with no direction. Predictable. But fun to listen to and easy to listen to aswell. You don't really have to think to much listening to these songs. Vertigo is killer live. Miracle Drug and City Of Blinding Lights are reminders that U2 can write good songs when they want to.

12. All That You Can't Leave Behind

Meat and Potatoes with Mayo. Contains a few good songs, but mainly songs with no direction. Predictable. But fun to listen to and easy to listen to aswell. You don't really have to think to much listening to these songs. Beautiful Day is killer live, as with Elevation. Kite is one of the best U2 song's to come out in the 2000-2010 era.

October - First Album I bought , because I had heard Tomorrow on someones compilation tape and loved it , thus began my journey...

Achtung Baby - This for me was U2's re-birth and they nailed it with this album...I don't go a day without listening to at least one song from this album...

Pop - I just adore this album , I know it's infamous for not being completed properly and U2 not happy with the final project , but the sound and atmosphere of the record are perfect to me , The new versions of songs on the best of albums were terrible , I am glad they ran out of time and we got this gem...

Zooropa - Lemon , Daddy , Stay , Everything here for me is great , this is a great companion piece to AB..

Joshua Tree - Love this , Great songs , love the dark Pax-Americana of Bullet the blue sky

Boy - like someone else said so ahead of it's time..

War -

Unforgettable Fire - Love promanade , I prefer the wide awake versions of SOH andBad to the album versions..

Rattle and hum

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

No Line on the Horizon

All That You Can't Leave Behind - This album for me is too polished , I hardly listen to this album anymore , I have taken songs like Kite and ground benether her feet for my U2 playlist on my ipod , apart from that it's a miss for me...The tour was great though , back to arenas...

Ok Computer......

Pablo Honey

The Bends

oh hang on wrong mob,......lol

A real Radiohead fan would say Kid A, In Rainbows, Ok Computer, Amnesiac, The Bends, King of Limbs.

Pablo Honey wouldn't even be on the list. THe band doesn't like that album either.

1. No Line. It's a great album that paints a landscape not unlike how Springsteen works, or maybe its just Unforgettable Fire part 2.

2. Achtung Baby. Well, now in 2011 it reminds me of the era it came from, even though I didn't even listen to the album until the beginning of the year 2000.

3. Zooropa. Is THE album that burnt down the Joshua Tree and pissed on its ashes. I love this album.

4. Pop. Okay so my musical experience is 90's techno/dance/grunge/alternative and this album with its singles and remixes sum up my musical journey through 2001.

5. Unforgettable Fire. Is the prequel to No Line on the Horizon damnit! Far better than Joshua Tree.

Speaking of which...

6. Joshua Tree. Take this album on your iPod or CD, get in your car, and drive out into the desert or wilderness and listen to it, really listen to it.

7. October. A great album that starts out being written about having nothing to write about.

8. Boy. I like it because it came out the same year I was born.

9. Passengers. It's a U2 album. I don't care what anyone says, it's U2.

10. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. I like meat, and I like potatoes. And I like this album. And since I bought it at Midway Airport in Chicago the week it came out while waiting on a plane to go visit relatives, and since that trip was fun, this album always brings me back. Not to that airport, I hate Midway Airport it smells like piss, it brings me back to sunrise on the redline at the Roosevelt stop in the South Loop of Chicago, especially yahweh.

11. All That You Can't Leave Behind. You know what's good? A beef sandwich with mayo. That's right, it is good. No what's also good? U2 being optimistic, I really like this album for the very fact that it's U2 being optimistic, not dark and pessimistic, it shows the real spirit of the band and no I don't get why U2 fans hate it.

Granted I also don't get the hate for Pop or No Line either. Seriously people chill out.

12. War. Is. A. Good. ALbum. I rarely listen to.

13. Rattle and Hum. NOt a favorite, so I took the new songs on it and the B-sides from it and put it all together for a different version of Rattle and Hum and I still don't listen to it.

• Subscriber

[quote name='Panth wrote:

basher1']Ok Computer......

Pablo Honey

The Bends

A real Radiohead fan would say Kid A, In Rainbows, Ok Computer, Amnesiac, The Bends, King of Limbs.

Pablo Honey wouldn't even be on the list. THe band doesn't like that album either.

don think i ever listened to one radio head song, so i'm no expert but your reason sounds a bit silly panth, like saying POP isnt a good enough album cause the band don like it. i can just say they've got no idea what they're talking bouttongue.gif

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

Panth wrote:

basher1']Ok Computer......

Pablo Honey

The Bends

don think i ever listened to one radio head song, so i'm no expert but your reason sounds a bit silly panth, like saying POP isnt a good enough album cause the band don like it. i can just say they've got no idea what they're talking bouttongue.gifTHat was a joke.