Festivals

willo66

• Subscriber

I am a massive U2 fan but why didn't they do the festivals when they were in their prime? Late 80's and through the early 90's, or even between 2000 and 2005? I ask this because they would have blown most other bands festival performances into the water. I just think we all missed out and they should have done them. Would love to know the reason why they didn't do them? Still love the band though and the Glastonbury performance was really, really good happy.gif

It would've been great, but just looking at their schedule, back then (JT Tour and ZooTV Tour) it would've been near to impossible. With Bono's throat problem, which forced them to postpone a bunch of shows in Australia, and the band almost breaking up during the early parts of Achtung Baby production. I think they were also playing 3 to 4 shows a week at that time. Also, festivals have a time limit for band's sets. Good example was Live Aid: U2 were supposed to play Pride, after Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bad, but ran out of time for their set. It also affects their setlist, making them do more like a greatest hits set for the general crowd. One thing with U2 was that each of their tour highlighted more on the tracks corresponding to that tour, instead of being safe and focusing on just their hits. I think that's one reason why they've been able to hold their fan base for this long, and selling out most of their shows.

As for production, festivals can be tricky. It can make bands, and their production crew, feel rushed sometimes...thinking they're not giving their fans the full package. A clear indication was the Pop album. They felt rushed, and the start of the Popmart Tour showed that. For most of us fans, we think Pop is a great album, but to them, it's one of their low-points in their career (and there's not many). These, being called one-offs/fly dates, some bands usually rent gear from a local sound/backline company instead of breaking it off from their tour package.

With the success of Glastonbury, it wouldn't surprise me if they did other festivals. Now is more of a fitting to do a "greatest hits" setlist.

I just got an idea, the festivals can be more "fan-orientated" by having booths put up by the Zootopians and maybe on the final day there can be a grand event.

The grand finales event can be a meet and greet with an available bandmember or principle management personnell.  If the meet and greet doesn't work-out, do a question and answer session via skype.

• Subscriber

Because u2's high standards of a rock concert arent matched by any festival. By regards to the stage,production and more importantly the sound

I was at glastonbury about 5 people from the front barrier and the sound was know were near as good as any 360 show or any other u2 show ive been to. The first song was a mess then it was great up until the last 3rd of the show when bonos mike went quite low. This would rarely happen at u2's own shows.

U2 should never go anywhere near the festival circuit. Standards there are way below u2's and they would never be able to do themselves justice which was my view on gladtonbury they were good but it wasnt legendary and it should of been

• Subscriber

They need to do U2 festivals===a U2 dot com festival where we can all travel to and meet each other! Erect a CLAW and go from there. Even if they aren't there they could have footage up on the claw and the songs playing with lights a going. It would be awesome. I think.

They need to do U2 festivals===a U2 dot com festival where we can all travel to and meet each other! Erect a CLAW and go from there. Even if they aren't there they could have footage up on the claw and the songs playing with lights a going. It would be awesome. I think.
  I totally agree because it's always fun to meet other Zootopians!!!

Because u2's high standards of a rock concert arent matched by any festival. By regards to the stage,production and more importantly the sound

I was at glastonbury about 5 people from the front barrier and the sound was know were near as good as any 360 show or any other u2 show ive been to. The first song was a mess then it was great up until the last 3rd of the show when bonos mike went quite low. This would rarely happen at u2's own shows.

U2 should never go anywhere near the festival circuit. Standards there are way below u2's and they would never be able to do themselves justice which was my view on gladtonbury they were good but it wasnt legendary and it should of been

The reason for Bono's mic going quiet is that it's gotten wet enough (in the rain) that it went into 'protect mode'. It sounds like it's compressing. The mic he's using is a Shure Beta 58 wireless mic. They usually have a spare wireless or spare hardwired mic in case things like this happens. It just needs to be dried out.