Pittsburgh...General Admission...What Can I expect?

Tarzanboy

• Subscriber

Got GA seats for Pitt...What can I expect from the crowd? Mob Scene or respectful people? Wondering if anyone knows when they generally let people in...how do people get in the pit? How early should we show up for decent seats/view?

I'm not gonna be disappointed if my seats arent the greatest...my seats have always been horrible for u2, but they have always been fabulous shows...

Thanks inAdvance

• Subscriber

Hello!

I am going to the Pittsburgh show as well. It will be my 4th show this tour (all GA). GA is amazing but can be tricky. If you have not read it, a fellow U2 fan wrote a post called something like Joe's unofficial guide to the U2 line. I am a novice user of the message boards, but you can try this link: http://community.u2.com/topic/6739?page=1

Or just search the title and the post comes up.

Also, you probably know this, so please do not take offense. I am only saying this because I know there have been some people that have misunderstood what their tickets say. But, there are no seats for GA/floor. All just standing.

Based on my experiences with the floor, I can answer your questions, but please know that every show is different because the stadiums handle the GA line procedures based on their own regulations in partnership with the U2 security/tour staff. Also, my prediction about Pittsburgh is that it may become more unpredictable than most GA line experiences because it is the last stadium tour stop and next to last overall show on 360.

Ok so, your answers: (my opinion)

I think the crowd in the pit is generally kind and fun. It is kind of a mob scene being that it is so many people. Everyone that I have met has always been very nice and respectful (other than the occasional line jumpers who are never very successful). In fact, I consider the GA line experience to be a unique and fun build up to the show with a chance to meet amazing U2 fans from around the world.

Most stadiums have opened the GA gate to the line between 4 and 5 pm.

How you can get in the Pit depends on where you want to be in the Pit. In my opinion, anywhere in the pit, or on the whole floor for that matter is an incredible spot for the show. There are several spots on the floor that are "coveted" and these mostly include the rails and proximity to the rails and a center position.

To illustrate:

The front rail, first person on rail, center stage --- that spot goes to the lucky fan who is first in line. This person is a dedicated and skilled GA line regular. It is a lot of work to get a spot like that (and a lot of hours) and it is well deserved.

In the pit, half way back of front rail, toy the right of center stage, is less coveted but a hell of a great time. I have seen people show up when the gates open at 5 and get in the pit.

Not all of the people who wait in line all day want the Pit. Some want an outer rail spot or a close to outer rail. Some want further back but center so that they can see the whole claw and stage. In my opinion, there are no bad spots on the floor, it just depends on the view you want.

Me, I am a Pit and a Rail Spot girl. So, I will try to find the line and get in it as early as I can. I do not keep up with things around here on this sight as much as I would like too. But there are many people with experience with this who will post helpful information.

How early to get in line? The answer depends on where on the floor you really want to "go for" and even then, you should always remember that it is a hard science to "predict". Don't stress because the floor is awesome no matter what. The whole show from anywhere in that place is going to be incredible.

Good luck!

I too am doing the show in GA next week!  We saw them at MSU last month and had 20th row seats...which were phenomenal!  This is my first GA experience and I'm hoping it's as good as what I saw at Michigan.  However, I'm in agreement that it might be a bit rowdier because a ) last show in the U.S. and B) MSU is a completely dry campus (no alcohol sold at the show, none allowed at tailgates.)  Let me say that it was THE best concert experience I've ever had.  I go to U2 shows (Pitt will be my 10th) only to see the band...not to get loaded.  I want to remember it from start to finish and the car ride home. 

That being said, I hope that the GA crowd is fun and respectful at Pitt like I saw at MSU.  They looked like they were having a hell of a great time, and it made me so glad I got the GA tix for Pitt.

You will see,when you round that corner to get to your seats, this amazing stage that they have built.  Nothing like it before and likely, for a long time to come.  The fact that the stage is really elevated, along with the size and quality of the video screens, make every seat in the house a great seat!  You will be BLOWN AWAY by this show.  I've never seen Bono (and the rest of the band for that matter) with so much energy and spirit!  They really truly looked like they were having a blast!  For someone who is only a little over a year off of back surgery, he moves like he's 20!

Prepare to have the time of your life and see this band like you've never seen them before!

And here's to all of us in GA doing it with you!

• Subscriber

I wasn't planning on going to this show but the stars lined up and as luck would have it I'll be able to make this one. I am making a small detour from a planned trip that's going to make everything close but we'll work it out.  I don't expect to get to Pittsburgh until around 4:00 p.m. and I scored GA tickets so I know it's going to be a little rough.  I was lower bowl in Tampa and Red Zone in StL and Seattle so I've been spoiled. I guess this will bring me back to reality...lol.  I've never been to Pitt before, does anybody have suggestions on parking or best route to get to the show.  I'm coming from around the airport area.  Thanks.

• Subscriber

Thanks for the responses....so you can get in the pit just by standing in the GA line? I was under the impression people were hand selected to be in the pit...This is great news...Meicha thanks for the info....I didn't know what else to call my "spot" other than a seat. I cant wait for this show now

• Subscriber

My advice re: the floor is if you don't put in the time to get there early, don't even think about trying to shimmy into the thick of the crowd to get a better position towards the front. Those that have been there all day will get defensive of their turf (rightfully so), especially as show time approaches a flood of bozos start trying to weasel their ways to the front. Elbows tend to go up, etc.

On the flip side of that coin, if you put in the time to get a sweet spot on the rail, you better have a good plan to get back if you have to go pee, etc. Last show I was at there were 5 of us on the outer rail, youngest being 14, and my brother took him to pee and they nearly had a few fights on the way back from people who didn't want to let them pass so they could get back up front with us.

So bottom line: if you want to be in the thick of it, it can get hairy. Use you brain, get friendly with those around you, and have a plan if you need to leave and come back. Otherwise find a spot you're comfortable with further back and no worries.