Letter to Norwegian Gunman

shirley2010

• Subscriber

As I light a candle tonight for the innocents you slaughtered I am incensed by your plea of insanity.  How dare you claim you are mentally ill!!! I do have a mental illness and have been hospitalized on several occasions and the one thing I am certain of is that the mentally ill are more likely to commit suicide than to take the life of another human being.

Granted the media likes to blow it out of proportion when someone with mental illness kills someone but the truly mentally ill do it in the heat of the moment they have usually been provoked by someone calling them weird or mad and they have more than likely been off their medication. 

You do not have a mental illness you are a pure heartless killer - a true psychopath.

Psychopaths have brains that operate on a different level to the rest of the human race - they need a lot more input in order to get aroused.  You have people who work in offices who get off on winding other people up and then sit back and enjoy the mayhem they have created.

You on the other hand are probably jacking off in your cell right now reliving each moment that you took an innocent life with a big satisfied smirk on your face.  This attention is beyond your wildest dreams and you will be so drunk with power right now thinking that you are invincible and that no-one can touch you because you are protected by human rights.  You will see yourself as a hero and these feeling will sustain and feed your lust for a long time to come.  No doubt other warped minds will worship you and write to you praising your actions.  What concerns the rest of humanity is how many vulnerable confused young minds will be influenced by your actions.

Psychopaths are also incapable of feeling shame or remorse whereas the mentally ill will go into hibernation and avoid people if they think they have done something that society condemns.  People with a mental illness are usually oversensitive and care too much about what other people think whereas you don't give a damn.

Your lawyer will make an absolute fortune and no doubt you will too because someone will want to make a film about you one day.  I really don't know how your lawyer can sleep at night because at the moment the rest of the world is awake trying it's best to come to terms with the wound that you have inflicted upon it which will take a long time to heal as it won't even be able to form a scab yet because the media will continue to pick it off on your behalf.

You are still able to get excited - the rest of us feel numb.  

• Subscriber

Dear Shirley

I thought I should post a comment to your letter. I'm a Norwegian, living in Oslo, and have been witnessing everything that's happened in the aftermath of this horrible incident. I understand your rage against the gunman, as I too have felt that. I don't know whereabout in the world you live, but I take it you don't live here and don't get to read Norwegian newspapers. I've read some of the things that have been written in international media, and obviously they don't write as detailed about it as the media does here. First of all, the actions of the gunman cannot under any circumstances be defended. What he has done is unspeakable and - I'd say - plain evil. As it seems now, in his messed up mind, this was all worth it just to get famous... Everything he did was thoroughly planned and calculated, over the course of 9 years. Or so he claims. This, among other things, do not indicate that he is mentally ill, but rather, like you're saying, he is a psychopath/sociopath. And let's just hope that is indeed the case, so that his punishment won't be reduced due to mental illness. 

But I also thought I should defend his lawyer. Of course, it seems he must be a mad man to take this case. But fact is, this was an extremely hard case for him to take, because he does not AT ALL sympathize with the gunman. He is as disturbed by this as we are. But his reasons for doing it after all was because it is a democratic right for anybody, no matter what, to have a defender in court. And for the lawyer, it was important to sort of fulfill his democratic "duty", as what the gunman was trying to do was to destroy our wonderful democracy. And as for him saying that the gunman must be mentally insane, what he meant was that such horrific actions cannot possibly be carried out by a person in his right mind. But he has never claimed to be a psychiatrist or anything like that, and he's pointed out that professionals will have to judge whether the shooter is mentally ill or not. The lawyer, Lippestad, doesn't find this easy at all, and he might not sleep to well at night, for all I know. But he is just a representative of our democracy, and the gunman is not likely to get a light punishment. Lippestad won't try to do that for him either...

The Norwegians are holding hands through these hard times, and I think that the best thing we can do is to stand together for a loving society, remember the victims, and forget the gunman. Forget his face and forget his name. That would be the worst punishment for his narcissistic mind.

"If one man can show that much hate, think of all the love we can show!"

• Subscriber

em kay, i really respect your post and the calm friendly manner in which you wrote it. and i know you are right bout the lawyer, and i wouldnt wanna dream to be in his shoes.

my condolences and love to your country and its people.

• Subscriber

please help me get the flag of Norway on stage!

need ga ticket holders united states citizens or resident to mail Norways flag to.

(asking for u.s. as i believe it would be the fastest way to send it not clear as to how mail service in Canada is running heard about strikes but have not kept up)

contact joepaint@hotmail.com 410- 412- 0251

i hope to send more than 1 flag.if you dont have ga tickets but are willing to find someone in ga line that will

bring it into the inner circle please contact me.

thank you

• Subscriber

What this imprisoned "thing" doesn't know (that's what I heard) is that his lawyer is a member of the social democratic party. Hats off to the lawyer for doing this job and defending democracy this way.

If there is one good (funny?) thing in this tragedy then it's that Mr. Psycho will be defended by someone who he hates.

This is the perfect answer to his weird thoughts.

Congrats to Norway and again...hats off to the lawyer. I hope you can sleep at night as you deserve it for doing this.

• Subscriber

Love and prayers to the people of Norway in their time of darkness...

This could just as easily have happened in America. From what I've read, the guy was very influenced by neo-Nazi and other racist/anti-immigrant BS. I agree with Em Kay: Let him have his trial, then let him be forgotten by the media and the outside world. Focus on the victims and their families.