£385..& Achtung Baby 20th Anniversary Edition............

Anyway you look at it, IT'S A RIPOFF! I wonder who is gonna be the fool to bend over and take it first..be sure to ask for a kiss afterwards, more than likely they will just spit on you and laugh all the way to the bank. Just pathetic. U2=never enough.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a fan forever. I was looking forward to this. But the pricing? Okay I can see some of this for the uber sets. Sorry boys, $36 US for the album plus b-sides, $33 for just the cd? Not in my price range - no documentary included in the lower items? This is really disgusting me price-wise and value-wise. I guess I'll have to pass on my favourite U2 album.

Unless proceeds from this will end famine in Somalia, I think the band may have forgotten their fans come from ALL walks of life. And with the economies everywhere in a tailspin, how about something fantastic at a fantasticly LOW price? This after a $736 million dollar gross tour? Is it me? Or is this way over the line?

• Subscriber

I haven't even complained about the price. I don't have a problem with it, as the SDeluxe version is an ok value. I don't even know what Uber means. Is it Irish for "Stupid Foolish Amount of Money?" I think most of us can do without some stupid props, fly shades, fly crap, etc. I think the lack any great bonus material is the first little issue. Even that, I can live without. The hideous insult to injury is putting the Sydney DVD in there. This was released on VHS, Laser Disc, DVD,  CD for Fan Club Members, and now again? Also, knowing that they will put Zooropa out by itself in the future is almost a forgone conclusion. Of course, they are baiting Zooropa fans into having to buy the Super Deluxe version here, and then only to release it in the future to appease those that don't want to buy the Luber Pooper Edition.  And all those remixes? The only SHOCKING thing is that there is not a disc of I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Remix Another Song Tonight remixes. They seem to cram that song on dang near every release these days. I never ever ever think of U2 as a remix band. A remix here and there is not bad, but 95% of the remixes are not even close to as good as the album versions.  

U2, I love you, but the only way to solve this now would be to offer a Washington 92 DVD, Stockholm 92 DVD, and another 2 CDs of Achtung/Zooropa demos and outtakes for a decent price. I hardly see any true outtakes.

• Subscriber

If every artist is a cannibal, then U2 is simply eating its own fanbase into oblivion. Seriously.

Achtung Baby was the first release that I collected everything from. Different country versions of singles, all available formats of US release - even at the shows, I walked up to the merchandise vendor and said "one of everything, please." Oh, to have that type of discretionary income again. Anyone who is looking to pay upwards of 400 quid (or with the conversion, $622) for the most deluxe version is probably the most uber-fan collector ... and in which case, they are like me - have the Achtung Baby outtakes, they have the singles and the remixes (whether it's on official releases, Melon, or any other widely-traded mix tape among other fans).

You have all the Achtung Baby-related features that made its way on the Sydney DVD. To include Sydney in this is lazy at best, a rip-off at worse. They could have included Reggio Emilia (with the largest number of fans at any U2 show ever), Boston (St. Patrick's Day), or Manchester (Greenpeace Stop Sellafield video). They could have included Stockholm with the MTV winner, John. There are so many other shows they could have included in this release.

The ZooTV era had so much coverage between MTV, VH1, and various other networks. Heck, U2 even produced 3 episodes of ZooTV with outtake music they used for background track during the show. This is the type of bonus feature I'm looking for in this type of a release. These ZooTV episodes only aired once, and aired in the late 90s (for whatever reason). You also have the Rockline interview from '92 where U2 spoke with Clinton - all this type of background video footage is available in the treasure trove.

There could even be a game of visual recognition - take all the fast-moving words on the ZooTV screen and have pop-quizzes with it. The possibilities are endless for bonus content!

While I know I'll take advantage of whatever the cheapest deal is to get the most amount of goodies, I can not bring myself to pay upwards of $600 for something that I have 95% of the tracks between various parts of my collection.

As a long-time fan, I'm disappointed to say the least.

The voice of reason right here.  Well written.  Hopefully McGuinness or whoever was in charge of compiling this fiasco would read it.

• Subscriber

I haven't even complained about the price. I don't have a problem with it, as the SDeluxe version is an ok value. I don't even know what Uber means. Is it Irish for "Stupid Foolish Amount of Money?" I think most of us can do without some stupid props, fly shades, fly crap, etc. I think the lack any great bonus material is the first little issue. Even that, I can live without. The hideous insult to injury is putting the Sydney DVD in there. This was released on VHS, Laser Disc, DVD,  CD for Fan Club Members, and now again? Also, knowing that they will put Zooropa out by itself in the future is almost a forgone conclusion. Of course, they are baiting Zooropa fans into having to buy the Super Deluxe version here, and then only to release it in the future to appease those that don't want to buy the Luber Pooper Edition.  And all those remixes? The only SHOCKING thing is that there is not a disc of I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Remix Another Song Tonight remixes. They seem to cram that song on dang near every release these days. I never ever ever think of U2 as a remix band. A remix here and there is not bad, but 95% of the remixes are not even close to as good as the album versions.  

U2, I love you, but the only way to solve this now would be to offer a Washington 92 DVD, Stockholm 92 DVD, and another 2 CDs of Achtung/Zooropa demos and outtakes for a decent price. I hardly see any true outtakes.

I agree. The three biggest issues for me are:

1. The choice of Sydney for the DVD. Any of those shows you mentioned, or heck even the Outside Broadcast special, would have been much better and much more fan-friendly. Let's face it — 99 percent of U2 fans already have the Sydney show (as good as it is) in multiple formats.

2. The remixes. I don't like the remixes. There has never been a remix of a U2 song that I could say improves it in any way. I am a fan of a rock band, not a techno band, not a hip hop band, but a rock band. The remixes were exactly what I was afraid were going to be in this package when I saw the rolling stone article in June. I much prefer outtakes. Especially some of the guitar-based rock songs left off Zooropa.

3. Clearly no one learned from the Duals dissatisfaction. I really am disappoitnted with all the recycling of stuff in this box. This was such a fruitful and inspired period for the band. They really couldn't have found anything else to put in here that we haven't gotten before?

I feel guilty complaining, because I do love U2 and love their music and appreciate the idea of the this box. But the execution of it is really lacking.

• Subscriber

Pretty sure these prices will go down. Most people are pissed and they are listening/reading in here and across the web.

Unless they will just make a very limited number like 1000 Uber boxes for high end disposable cash collectors (doubt since is on sale at Amazon), there is no reason to charge so much.

If they indeed keep like that then I will move to the lower end options. I can't really justify that much $$$.

• Subscriber
Pretty sure these prices will go down. Most people are pissed and they are listening/reading in here and across the web.

Unless they will just make a very limited number like 1000 Uber boxes for high end disposable cash collectors (doubt since is on sale at Amazon), there is no reason to charge so much.

If they indeed keep like that then I will move to the lower end options. I can't really justify that much $$$.

if they done a 1000 id go for it, but theres no chance of it being that limited, they'll sell as many as possible. I was expecting it to be around the 360 boxset price, its a joke at £275 let alone £385!!!! i mean whos gonna pay that?, surely £385 is wrong, and they'll change it, they've screwed up before on stuff (NLOTH boxset)