Riots in England

peterferris8

• Subscriber

In the past few days, the streets of England have been littered with the destruction and devastation brought on by riots. They started off protesting about police shooting dead a supposedly 'innocent' man in London. There is NO proof that this man was innocent. He was armed and he shot a police officer. Now these riots are no longer protests against the shooting of a man. They are being used as opportunities by hooligans to wreak havoc and destroy innocent people's livelihood. There have also been protests in Bristol, which worries me because two good friends of mine in Bristol. Fortunately, where I live in Hertfordshire, we haven't had any such violence. I am still lending my full support to the Metropolitan Police as they attempt to put an end to this vandalism.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

It's just awful, really awful and not about the shooting at all anymore, it's a whole other beast rearing its ugly head. I do feel for the innocent people who are watching their communities being destroyed. I just hope it's not the early 1980's rioting all over again which filtered through so many cities including my home town, I remember the cars on our street being set alight and calling the fire brigade as a young kid. Frightening and very sad turn of events at the moment.

• Subscriber

Sounds so crazy and awful, dissatisfaction with police is used as an excuse for pure vandalism and criminalisation and destroying innocent people's homes and livelihood...oh dear. I really hope too that police will be able to stop this craziness soon. What really happened with shooting the "innocent" (???) man has to be investigated of course but hopefully the police finds recources and ability to stop the rioting very soon.

Stay safe and take care everyone who lives in the areas where the riots are!!!

• Subscriber

Sounds so crazy and awful, dissatisfaction with police is used as an excuse for pure vandalism and criminalisation and destroying innocent people's homes and livelihood...oh dear. I really hope too that police will be able to stop this craziness soon. What really happened with shooting the "innocent" (???) man has to be investigated of course but hopefully the police finds recources and ability to stop the rioting very soon.

Stay safe and take care everyone who lives in the areas where the riots are!!!

The 'innocent' man, Mark Duggan, was in Tottenham on Thursday night, carrying a non-police gun. Some police officers spotted him. As far as I'm aware, he shot a police officer, and the other officers shot him, and he died later. An independent inquiry is being carried out, investigating into his death.

• Subscriber

yeah that's what I read too... so far it looks like he wasnt very innocent and police shooting him doesn't seem to be a "justifiable" or understandable motive for the violence and rioting... guess that backgrounds and causes for this kind of rioting and protesting are much more complicated anyway...

• Subscriber

yeah that's what I read too... so far it looks like he wasnt very innocent and police shooting him doesn't seem to be a "justifiable" or understandable motive for the violence and rioting... guess that backgrounds and causes for this kind of rioting and protesting are much more complicated anyway...

I agree. 

Scotland Yard says a 26-year old man shot in Croydon last night has died in hospital. This has gone too far now.

• Community Moderator

Praying for everyone's safety in England today. And that this will come to an end. I have friends that live pretty close to East Croydon and are very scared. These aren't protests; these are people being idiots.

• Subscriber

Just been watching the coverage on the 1 o'clock news, jeez what the hell is going on, it just seems to be mindless looting and so many young people involved, I just can't understand what's driving them to such destruction - mere opportunity? Thrill? Maybe I'm just not in touch with the plight of youth these days but this isn't right. Looks like a bigger police presence tonight, I dread to think what will occur and how long before the police are accused of using unreasonable force again

I hope your friends are safe and well Peter, same to anyone caught up in this out there.

Sad state of affairs