Bullet the Blue Sky Called Ted Nugent Knockoff

Eucharistadorer

• Subscriber

Hi all,

This is my first post, and an odd one. But before I get tomy main question and point, let me preface it by saying that I’m a huge U2 fanand they’re my favorite band. Among the greatest of all time IMO.

However with that said, I recently saw on a popular guitarforum multiple people SLAM Bullet the Blue Sky as a complete knockoff of thesong Stranglehold ,by Ted Nugent. Atfirst I didn’t want to believe that U2 would copy another artist, especiallywith one of my favorite U2 songs. But after I listened to Stranglehold, it sounded eerily similar to Bullet the Blue Sky,almost identical in some spots. This discovery got me pretty depressed, as Inever thought U2 would ever do such a thing and have created everything fromtheir own minds and hearts.

So, in light of this, can everyone listen to the song onyoutube and tell me what you think in terms of the comparison with Bullet theBlue Sky? Do they sound eerily alike, or am I just going crazy? If they dosound alike, do you think U2 purposely copied Stranglehold, or is thiscoincidence? I really want to get other people’s perspective on this. Mainly becauseI don’t want to believe it.

Lastly, if any trained musicians could  possibly dissect both songs and compare them musicallyto see if there truly is a comparison in regards to music theory, that would begreat and would add to the discussion I believe.  Thanks a lot.

Please let me know what your thoughts are. Here’s the link:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

There's only that many songs you can write with 7 notes. So I think any similarities is just coincidence.

And it doesn't sound that much similar. Maybe the bass part, but not much more.

But I'm no musician so I cannot speak more professionally, just what it sounds to me.

• Subscriber

The bass line might have a similar kind of sound, but not that much. I really don't think that's enough similarity to call Bullet a knockoff. I don't hear any other similarity. 

I don't have U2 By U2 in front of me, but I believe in one section Adam refers to Ted Nugent, and I think it's Stranglehold. Deliberate plagiarism? No. Similar? Yes. However, artists create new value from other artists work all the time. The lyric "there is a silence that comes to a house where no one can sleep" is Raymond Carver. Bono caught it after it was too late. Loads of great songs "kravitz" from other songs, or should we say, younger songs are often the love children of older ones?

Personally, all the u2 and Bono bashing is tired to say the least. We can debate whether BTBS has its genesis in a Nugent tune, but do you even have to listen to them to know which one is better? Nugent has the longest career of no new ideas and should get an award for it.

I'm not trying to depress you, but the coda of Stay sounds a lot like My Cherie Amour when you compare them. Stay still stands on its own. Near the end of Until The End Of The World there's a brief chord section that wants to go in the direction of the chorus from Head Like A Hole. Yes, that's what I said. Oh, and Numb sounds a bit like Brian Eno's Sky Saw. Still, distinct high-quality tracks.

These guys have to stay inspired constantly. You can see them starting with a simple, "let's write THAT kind of song". Like a child, it will look a bit like its parents. As long as it has a life of its own.

More love children that spring to mind...

Life On Mars?.... son of My Way

Every Breath You Take....son of Stand By Me

Desire...son of Bo Diddley, 1969, and probably a few others

Love Me Tender...son of Aura Lee (an old Civil War song)

Don't listen to Baby by Iggy Pop. The verse vocal melody will remind you of the intro to Surrender.

Don't be depressed.

Remember what Oscar Wilde said...

"talent borrows. Genius steals."

Ok, it's near the bottom of page 51 in U2 By U2. Adam refers to a Stranglers album and the Nuge in the same breath. Was it Stranglehold? Doesn't say. He later states that his bass part for New Year's Day is his take on "Fade To Grey", by Visage.These sorts of things used to really bum me out, but I think it's part of the writing process. Finding yourself via finding your way through someone else. The Beatles were the kings when it came to having a zillion influences which they wore on their sleeves (compare Fleetwood Mac's Albatross and The Beatles' Sun King), and they influenced everybody after them.U2 are much the same.

• Subscriber

Remember the line from "The Fly"-  "Every artist is a cannibal.  Every poet is a thief.  They all kill their inspirations and sing about the grief."  Indeed, they are similar in some aspects, but a blatant rip-off?  I think not.

• Subscriber

Whatever you do, don't listen to " The Sun Always Shines On Tv"

I'm pretty sure we could come up with a pretty long list of musical ideas that the band has borrowed over the last thirty years. It's called "artistic influence".

I'm sorry mate, but if you thought U2 created music, then you're a wee bit off the mark.

More songs to consider...

Brain Damage/Pink Floyd...son of Dear Prudence

Love To Love You Baby...daughter of Je T'aime (Moi Non Plus)

Come As You Are/Nirvana...son of Living In The 80's/Killing Joke

Weather With You/Crowded House...son of Down By The River/Neil Young

Panic/The Smiths...son of Metal Guru/T.Rex

Rusholme Ruffians/The Smiths...son of Marie's The Name (His Latest Flame)/Elvis Presley

Even Better Than Real Thing...son of Virginia Plain/Roxy Music

More songs to consider...

Brain Damage/Pink Floyd...son of Dear Prudence

Love To Love You Baby...daughter of Je T'aime (Moi Non Plus)

Come As You Are/Nirvana...son of Living In The 80's/Killing Joke

Weather With You/Crowded House...son of Down By The River/Neil Young

Panic/The Smiths...son of Metal Guru/T.Rex

Rusholme Ruffians/The Smiths...son of Marie's The Name (His Latest Flame)/Elvis Presley

Even Better Than Real Thing...son of Virginia Plain/Roxy Music