Bono, then and now, which do you prefer ?

U2RSA

Bono back in Zootv days, was a completely different character to what he is now.

He was wacky, crazy, mental and also very dare i say it, polticially incorrect...

Now he is more reserved, and focusses on politics, and earth matters.....

Which Bono do you like more ?

I prefer Zootv Bono because U2 were just absolutely amazing as a ticket back then, they're still good, but not as dynamic as back then.... just my thoughts.

I still love U2, just feel they were at their peak in zootv times.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Zoo TV, he didn't give a shit about half the things he does now, which means he was more involved in making good music and less in trying to be a musical producer, crusader for world peace, etc.

Not that these are bad, but he should focus more on what he's best at

Wow....I have to go with Bono when he was The Fly (circa ZOO TV), that's when I first really paid attention to U2. He was just oozing "COOL" from every pore, and being a teenager at the time, he knew how to kick start the hormones!

• Subscriber

There are aspects of both the then and now Bono that I like. I don't think it's an either or. People change and evolve. It seems to me that it's inevitable that the band is "not as dynamic" as they used to be, or anyway, dynamic in a different way; they're 20 years older! Everything changes with age, some for good and some not so much.

But maybe I just don't have the right perspective on the then Bono since I was so young at the time. I was a fan but I never went to any shows nor was I otherwise immersed in U2 "culture" so to speak as I am now. Achtung Baby was my first album I ever bought and it's still my favorite, but I didn't know about The Fly as a character, or MacPhisto or any of that.

There are aspects of both the then and now Bono that I like. I don't think it's an either or. People change and evolve. It seems to me that it's inevitable that the band is "not as dynamic" as they used to be, or anyway, dynamic in a different way; they're 20 years older! Everything changes with age, some for good and some not so much.

But maybe I just don't have the right perspective on the then Bono since I was so young at the time. I was a fan but I never went to any shows nor was I otherwise immersed in U2 "culture" so to speak as I am now. Achtung Baby was my first album I ever bought and it's still my favorite, but I didn't know about The Fly as a character, or MacPhisto or any of that.

That's a good point actually, I suppose as far as characters go, I lean towards The Fly no doubt.  But as a person, that's a tricky one.  Bono seems to be essentially the same person throughout his career though he has matured and evolved.  So to be honest, the question seems to be a bit too general if we're talking about the person and not his personas.  With that said, the older wiser Bono we have now is what I'd go with.  He's done a lot, seen a lot, and yet he still has gas left in the proverbial tank to do more.

• Subscriber

I prefer him now. On the last three tours, he's kind of a mix of 80s Bono and 90s Bono. He's funny and very witty, but has a new worldly wisdom. He's very 'quotable' now

I agree with you the Bono now. He is funny, charming, real, down to earth cool and so smart. Not trying to be anything or anyone else  but himself. If you were able to watch him and Edge on the Letterman show you'll get what I mean.