#THESKYDOWN Live Thread

I feel like I am watching a vocabulary class or something, I COULD NEVER HANG AROUND BONO! THAT WOULD DRIVE ME CRAZY. Edge,  is so very smooth when explaining things. Bono twists to find the most odd choice of words in his speech. What, does the guy hang out and read the dictionary every night? I dont know, I sure do find it much easier to listen to the Edge.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crikey, was bono crying at the end.....why was he so upset!?!?!?!

ok the way i see it, or what i read from it,,,,,,

well larry and adam were not there, why wasnt larry there? he simply hates watching himself on screen. for those who have followed larry should know he HATES the limelight! so therefore probably didnt want any part of this interview what so ever. adam well he attended the premier but maybe he wasnt needed to be in the interview. but then again, it was always going to be bono and the edge as it was advertised....

i dont think bono hates davis in any way. i think bono hated seeing himself in the film. i got the impression he didnt enjoy it at all. again another reason why larry didnt appear on the red carpet. but i felt bono felt uneasy watching himself on a big screen, maybe he didnt like the film in general........

even better than the real thing (fish out of water remix) with a damien hirst video as a single? then bono did say that songs of ascent was going to be out in 2009, 2010, 2011.......

but bono crying at the end, was a bit heart wrenching to watch! maybe he was tired, maybe he knows something we dont, who knows. but by the way they were talking, they were talking about in a way, how the band works, not how the band worked, if you get my drift!

i think bono wants u2 to write music that can be played in clubs.....be relevant........be played on the radio........basically appeal to people, so maybe they will play it safe next? who knows, maybe they wont ever release another album, who knows.....

but he was asked about one at the end, and then started talking about being irrelevant and started crying!

take that break bono, chill out, enjoy your life, and u2 come back when your ready! until then......

EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG!!!!

• Subscriber

Mac, I don't think Bono was crying, was he? If so, my heart breaks even more. Just clearing the throat.

But he did give the most beautiful glowing smile when Tom mentioned about seeing them in another 20 years and that made my heart glad! :-) Bono and Edge at 72 rocking away. Whoo Hoo!!!!

Mac, I don't think Bono was crying, was he? If so, my heart breaks even more. Just clearing the throat.

But he did give the most beautiful glowing smile when Tom mentioned about seeing them in another 20 years and that made my heart glad! :-) Bono and Edge at 72 rocking away. Whoo Hoo!!!!

he was deffo crying, you could hear it in his voice, and he was wiping the tears away from under his glasses....frown.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

daltonsisters']Mac, I don't think Bono was crying, was he? If so, my heart breaks even more. Just clearing the throat.

he was deffo crying, you could hear it in his voice, and he was wiping the tears away from under his glasses....frown.gifNooooooo, Bono, wipe your tears away.....

[quote name='daltonsisters wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

daltonsisters']Mac, I don't think Bono was crying, was he? If so, my heart breaks even more. Just clearing the throat.

he was deffo crying, you could hear it in his voice, and he was wiping the tears away from under his glasses....
frown.gifNooooooo, Bono, wipe your tears away.....

maybe he was just tired, and really upset on how no line failed to capture the success as behind and bomb did.....hence being irrelevant.....who knows????

maybe he was thinking back, talking about one, that, it reminded him of a bad time in berlin, he got choked up thinking about it.....who knows!!!!

maybe he read how much universal were charging the fans for the uber deluxe achtung baby package!!!!

Here's what I think about 'perfectionism'. I loathe 'perfectionism'. I knew a female musician who was a 'perfectionist'. She went to the conservatorium to study 'composition'. She was very talented and gifted, but guess what? Her own ego and inadequacies failed her. She ended up getting breast implants, which made her look ridiculous, I mean they were huge. She turned herself into a joke with a series of bad choices. I don't think she could come to terms with the fact that she ever 'made it'. In vulgar commercial terms.

We are not perfect as human beings, so why should our art be? if they are to be a reflection of what is going on? if we are channeling something real and true why should our art not have something that is flawed in some way on a carnal level only to create something 'great' on another level.

These things anyway take on a life of their own and we are just along for the ride. Pays not to get too deep about it.

• Subscriber

I was puzzled by Bono's emotional twist in the last couple of minutes. Did he just choke on something? Or was he sad? Playing drama queen? I couldn't tell. I hope the first and/or the last.

I don't think he hated the film - he even said he almost enjoyed watching it. But I do think he's having a problem with being/not being relevant, and he made pretty clear with what he meant with that: making music for smaller settings like radio's and clubs, as opposed to stadium-ready anthems which is easier for U2 to do.

• Subscriber

I really think the point he was trying to articulate through all the "edge of irrelevance" stuff was that they are currently on the verge of something great like AB again *because* they have reached a point of critical success + longevity....and it's do or die time once again, where they are faced with having to (and willing to) reinvent. And the stakes are probably even higher now than they were on AB because of their age and stage of career.

The point is stated throughout by Edge and Bono that always produce their greatest work by trying things they can't do very well.....abandoning what they do well by their own choice so as to create their best work. Not just really good music.