Bullying is a hate crime, must become illegal----

xtraspicy62

U2 fans-do you think bullying should be a hate crime?

http://marquee.blogs.cnn....ime-must-become-illegal/

Spurred by the death of Jamey Rodemeyer

Lady Gaga is on a mission to make bullying illegal, reports the International Business Times.

Buffalo teenager Rodemeyer committed suicide on Sunday. The 14-year-old, who

for the "It Gets Better" 

PSA project, endured intense harassment about his sexuality by classmates at Williamsville North High School.

Trend it #MakeALawForJamey

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone posted this about bullying just being free speech on the above link:

sgm

@anthony...well, no, you can't legislate emotions, but we can and do legislate actions. just because I hate someone, doesn't mean i can kill him. just because i love someone, doesn't mean I can stalk him. just because i don't like some one, doesn't mean i can libel them. those are all legislated crimes. bullying is an action...not a feeling and it can and should be a crime.

September 22, 2011 at 7:34 pm

• Subscriber

I agree with you Aussiegirl, bullying can do a lot to a person. I used to be bullyed (dont know how to spell this XD) a lot. It made me a very shy quiet girl. I needed to take some dramaclasses so I opened up a little bit more but It is still a fight every day. But when Im in a place where Im comfortble in it goes better.

• Community Moderator

I was bullied in high school and it has left some emotional scars that have lasted 22 years and will probably always be there. I was the "witch" because I wore black. I was the "freak" because I listened to that "freak music" that came from Europe. I was the "lesbian" because I wouldn't go out with any of the guys at the school. I had pennies thrown at me as I walked down the hallway. I remember coming out of my 11th grade year feeling worthless. Fortunately, I started working at a movie theatre that summer and found more "freaks" like me. So needless to say that I don't deal with people being bullied at all.

I was bullied in high school and it has left some emotional scars that have lasted 22 years and will probably always be there. I was the "witch" because I wore black. I was the "freak" because I listened to that "freak music" that came from Europe. I was the "lesbian" because I wouldn't go out with any of the guys at the school. I had pennies thrown at me as I walked down the hallway. I remember coming out of my 11th grade year feeling worthless. Fortunately, I started working at a movie theatre that summer and found more "freaks" like me. So needless to say that I don't deal with people being bullied at all.

I totally agree with Mich40 because I was also the "Freak" because a socalled  (and very popular)teacher didn't like me and began rumors about me. As a result of her lies, I was a loner and no boy would ask me out so I was also branded a lesbian which made things worse.  After I graduated and moved out of E. Washington, I realized learned I wasn't such a "freak" because I was among other "free-spirited" individuals at the art college.

As for Lady Gaga and her mission to make bullying an illegal, hate crime, I say good for her because bullying causes emotional scares which tend to ruin lives.

My time at school was not good, and I'm sure if I was ever to see these people again, that sick feeling inside would come back... don't think it ever leaves you.

But the thought my daughter has / is having the same thing making me feel sick and so upsets me...and over the years do not feel the school does anything...in the past she/I have had to deal with text and even a group of school girls sending thing on the internet...as a mother feeling these are nasty, spiteful,unkind people....and just wish their parents knew what is going on.....