Let's make U2's "Across The Universe"

TheSunAndTheMoon

• Subscriber

How awesome would it be to see a musical film done in the vein of Julie Taymor's "Across The Universe" but focusing on the music of U2 instead? If you where to make it, what would the story be and which songs would you choose to advance the plot?

I think I would open the film with a very brief introduction of the setting and main character, a young man or a woman who's unfulfilled and trapped in the mediocrity of everyday life, then really kick into gear with "Where The Streets Have No Name". Of course the film would feature many characters; a junkie (featured in No Line On The Horizon), a dealer/pimp called "Holy Joe", a schizophrenic with Mr. MacPhisto on his mind, etc. Eventually, I would probably end the film with Window In The Skies as it's perfect for a concluding number. 

U2's massive catalog of music is absolutely perfect for a film like this (even if it would be a complete rip-off). You have a huge variety of moods and emotions for the ups and downs of any story. Think of Bullet The Blue Sky, One Step Closer, Desire, All I Want Is You, Acrobat - all would be fantastic to see in a musical done right. And I don't usually even enjoy musicals...

Anyways, this is purely for fun so if anyone wants to share their vision of this idea, please do!  

• Community Moderator

I think I would call it "Even Better than the Real Thing" and begin it with a voice over of Larry saying, "It's a musical journey."

Having said that, I thought "Across the Universe" was not a very good movie and Bono as Dr. Robert was probably the best part.

• Subscriber

I couldn't watch Across the Universe in one sitting. And when I re-watched it, I didn't make it to the end. That took a third viewing and i was left underwhelmed.

Julie's version of The Tempest was like eating sawdust...I felt raw and unmotivated.

Titus was O.K. I got through that in one go! So fair play.

U2's best 'movie' thingy was Until the End of the World. featuring only that song from AB. I sit through that film again and again, despite it being a car crash. But it's the closest thing to a U2 movie I would ever want to see.

The film clip for All i want is you was probably the perfect U2 film.....the music is all there. It's a beautiful story.

The band play the role of...a band.

Perfect.

pimp.gif

• Subscriber
How awesome would it be to see a musical film done in the vein of Julie Taymor's "Across The Universe" but focusing on the music of U2 instead? If you where to make it, what would the story be and which songs would you choose to advance the plot?

I think I would open the film with a very brief introduction of the setting and main character, a young man or a woman who's unfulfilled and trapped in the mediocrity of everyday life, then really kick into gear with "Where The Streets Have No Name". Of course the film would feature many characters; a junkie (featured in No Line On The Horizon), a dealer/pimp called "Holy Joe", a schizophrenic with Mr. MacPhisto on his mind, etc. Eventually, I would probably end the film with Window In The Skies as it's perfect for a concluding number. 

U2's massive catalog of music is absolutely perfect for a film like this (even if it would be a complete rip-off). You have a huge variety of moods and emotions for the ups and downs of any story. Think of Bullet The Blue Sky, One Step Closer, Desire, All I Want Is You, Acrobat - all would be fantastic to see in a musical done right. And I don't usually even enjoy musicals...

Anyways, this is purely for fun so if anyone wants to share their vision of this idea, please do!  

You forgot a preacher wink.gif or Angel