U2 and the Spirit

Redhead11

• Subscriber

So I was watching the Slane version of Streets, and I came across a comment. It said something like, "I'm not a religious man, but at the beginning of the song it seems like God is piping his voice into Bono."

There really is a connection with U2 and spirit, grace, God, whatever you fancy. I mean, we feel it at every show! I've heard people say that a U2 show was there version of a 'religious experience.' I mean, there are those moments... when the music pounds through you and the crowd literally become One with the band. 

Have you ever felt that feeling of the spirit or grace at a show? Even if you aren't a believer, have you ever felt that energy, or that feeling of rawness? Whatever you wanna call it. 

I have. It was at Anaheim when One led into Amazing Grace and then to Streets at the beginning of the show. I started crying and singing along with everyone, it was a great moment. happy.gif

What about you guys?smile.gif

So I was watching the Slane version of Streets, and I came across a comment. It said something like, "I'm not a religious man, but at the beginning of the song it seems like God is piping his voice into Bono."

Whoever said this is able to put into words what I can't even begin to describe!! smile.gif I agree 100 percent! It is like he is channeling a higher entity... gah I just love that part..happy.gif 

Unfortunately, my concert experience was far from ideal; the audience was dull and unenthusiastic. Drunk girl tried to take my spot in GA; a fight broke out next to me..ohwell.gif There was no "bonding" with the crowd.

I was at the Anaheim and Rose Bowl 360 shows. I hope I don't sound too kooky, but approaching the venue, seeing the claw and gathering with 90,000+ others to be lifted up, was a huge spiritual experience I'll never forget. I wanted to see U2 live for many years and when it finally happened the experience was far richer than I'd expected. I had expected a good show but the audience and the good spirit of show took the whole thing over the top.

• Subscriber

Redhead, I've had so many moments like that at U2's shows! Everytime I see them pretty much but there's one particular concert on the Vertigo tour that I attended where that feeling of really being connected with the band and with every audience member was very strong. It was such an uplifting moment I couldn't help but get a bit overwhelmed by it and it made me cry. I've seen several other bands live in concert and those moments only ever happen at a U2 show for me.

There music touches me in a way no other band's has.

• Subscriber

Have you ever felt that feeling of the spirit or grace at a show? Even if you aren't a believer, have you ever felt that energy, or that feeling of rawness? Whatever you wanna call it. 
Yes, every single show I've ever seen of them, there is a always moment (or several) at which I'm absolutely with the spirit. Moved to tears and uplifted beyond description. There are never words to describe the feeling...but it's what I call a direct experience. It's happened at a few other times in my life....outside the realm of U2 concerts and in different ways. It's very powerful and when I'm feeling it, experiencing it directly, I just know there's something more that is guiding me and everyone and this something is connecting each and every one in fundamental ways. I refer to this as God. Or Love.

My lifeforce is another way I think of it. It's easy for me to hit on this during a U2 show. I'm not looking for it as such and probably wouldn't experience it in that case (not sure), but it finds me there every time.

And I love the description of God's voice being channeled through Bono in that version of Streets. His voice is truly magnificent - the energy of it all beyond beautiful. And when you think about what was going on in Bono's life at the time, with his father's passing, there's no better description.

One wouldn't need to be religious to experience a spiritual awakening or direct experience in any context but it's pretty easy at a U2 show for me.