Coldplay rip off U2 again!

The whole Coldplay rip off U2 thing is exaggerated a lot. For my money, I really enjoy Coldplay's music. Certain aspects of their music sound similar to U2, especially that guitar on Major Minus but that's no bad thing. They admit to being inspired by U2 and are admirable in trying to top them. People say Jonny Buckland is too much an imitation of The Edge. It's rubbish though. Buckland is as Pitchfork said, a greatly under-appreciated guitarist. For me his poppy guitar hooks such as in Hurts Like Heaven, In My Place, Charlie Brown, Shiver etc are really reminiscent of John Squire from The Stone Roses. He should be praised for that.

Their latest LP Mylo Xyloto though does nothing for me and is arranged like a catastrophically bad playlist. Desperately disappointing record especially when there are a few really decent tracks on the album. Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven and Us Against The World are the only real strong points on the album. Brian Eno isn't a credited producer on this, having only been involved in the early stages. There is some sweet Eno magic underlying the messy surface production but it is few and far between.

It's a really disappointing follow up to what I thought was an absolutely phenomenal album in Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. It was really diverse but concise whereas Mylo Xyloto is just a bit of a mess. A lot of the lyrics on Mylo Xyloto are just downright lazy but on Viva La Vida I couldn't complain about Chris Martin's lyrics especially one as great as "when the future's architectured by a carnival of idiots on show, you better lie low'. Brian Eno really got the band focused and committed to making a record as worthy as A Rush Of Blood To The Head. He, Jon Hopkins and the band really seemed to have weaved some real magic from their time together. Alongside The Unforgettable Fire and The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths, Viva is my favourite album.

They are a driven and ambitious band but they seemed to have really mucked this one up. They've got time on their hands though and can make an album that can top Viva (or A Rush Of Blood To The Head) but they might need to bash their heads together and make some radical changes again within the studio.

• Subscriber

I feel bad. Every young person I know who likes them thinks they like 'invented' something and that this new album is 'breathtaking' and nothing has ever been done like it.

Gahh the youth today...ahahahhaa

I feel bad. Every young person I know who likes them thinks they like 'invented' something and that this new album is 'breathtaking' and nothing has ever been done like it.

Of course they haven't invented anything but if the youth of today like them then there's absolutely no harm in doing so. Just not as quality as liking them as a youth back in the A Rush Of Blood To The Head era or when Viva came out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I do like some of their songs but I hate it when people try to compare bands, ok so maybe some chords sound similar or not, doesnt mean they are copying, but having said that I have not bought their albums but what I hear on the radio does not sound like U2, and if they do sound like them a little, be happy that this kind of music is getting influenced in youth and a generation coming, whats left of decent people.

• Subscriber

[quote name='drowningfly wrote:

Redhead11']I feel bad. Every young person I know who likes them thinks they like 'invented' something and that this new album is 'breathtaking' and nothing has ever been done like it.

Of course they haven't invented anything but if the youth of today like them then there's absolutely no harm in doing so. Just not as quality as liking them as a youth back in the A Rush Of Blood To The Head era or when Viva came out.good thing God invented water.  i enjoy it !happy.gif! maybe it's a pisces thing !

I have to say, I thought Coldplay's setlist for Glastonbono 2011 was very gutsy. 5 to 6 new songs not yet on an album? That's balls. For that I cannot condemn them. And when they had their POPmart Las Vegas moment and had to start a song again, they did it all in stride that night.

• Subscriber

I have to say, I thought Coldplay's setlist for Glastonbono 2011 was very gutsy. 5 to 6 new songs not yet on an album? That's balls. For that I cannot condemn them. And when they had their POPmart Las Vegas moment and had to start a song again, they did it all in stride that night.
This thread cracks me up. Jonny picks up his guitar and people think he's trying to copy Edge!laugh.gif The Coldplay bashing comes up everytime they come up with a new album. And I don't understand why?? They are very good to their fans and I can't miss a live performance whenever they come to town. MX is number #1 in 32 countries and have sold almost half a million records for first week of release. How good is that. I also have this theory that some U2 fans just have to bash the Coldplay to show allegiance to U2? I love U2 with my whole heart and also enjoy other bands as well and Coldplay is one of em. They were very good at Glastonbury. I'm also grateful that while I  wait for another U2 album I have a Coldplay album to enjoy and a new tour to look forward to, just like when Viva came out.