Go away & dream it all up again

Dargo_irl

I'm sitting here watching "from the sky down" & it's just got to new years eve in the point & bono has said "we've got to go away & dream it all up again".

Can't help but think that they should do that again.

The last album is woefull & completely irrelevent.  The previous ones are less than good.  a couple of decent tracks but mostly dross.

Evenm though I saw the 360 tour three times, I've listened to NLOTH just three times since I got it.  It's just a brutal album.  They need to totally reinvent not themselves, but their sound.

Even the Achtung Baby re-issue is lazy.  It's a great album & one of the best things about the re-issue is the Q magazine cover album.

Please U2... make it good again.

• Subscriber

Respectfully, I totally disagree about NLOTH and their current sound direction. I hope they push it through even further along these lines. I don't want and wouldn't expect a U2 sound circa 1983-1989 or the subsequent reinvention post 1990 - great as that was. Up until now, they've always looked forward and never back and the songs they play from their back catalogue have been reworked many time live - as they continue to push their creative power rather than settle on past glory as many others would likely have done if they were in their position. I think this is what has made them the incredible band they are. I hope they continue to make music that stirs their soul, not concerned about being radio friendly, relevant or to recapture a sound they once had. And whatever comes out of that - to stand by it, not distancing themselves from any of their creative pursuits.

Yeah, they can't stop now. Maybe they just need some time to "dream it all up again", bcuz it seems that it was a very painful process. I really think they can do it again, but it happens that they probably want to spend more time with their family, plus the music industry/ scene has been a bit depressing these days, so I really hope they're strong willed to reinvent themselves and kick the ass again.

• Subscriber

Remember a couple years back when Bono said we have hit a strong song writing vein?  That maybe a true statement, but it was typical Bono talk.... ....Bono being real, honest and optimistic.  They talked about enough material for three albums!  All U2 fans were psyched to hear this news.  I was.  Maybe over-psyched.  Maybe U2 started taking flack from all ancgles for not putting anything out in 2011.  Over expectations?  I think so.  Any good politician knows you need to keep your expectations low.  Same with musicians with zillions of fans.  Right?

I believe what Bono (and Edge, Adam, Guggi, etc... but mostly Bono) has been doing lately is lowering expectations. 

I recently went back and read the Catherine Owens' interview found in the No Line on the Horizon Book included in the Deluxe Edition.  U2 is having a lot of fun making music.  From what I can tell, its where they experience joy.  I don't see them ever giving it up!  When the time is right, U2 will have something to say.  As for me, I will wait paitiently....