So sad and upset.

U2 should never split up. There aren't many good bands out there, they need to stay together and keep the fire going on (rock) music. Bono, stop getting your fans desperate. U2 never gets old, everybody knows it.

Anyway, if U2 really split up, will you be an orphan music lover or is there any other current band you've been listening to?

MGMT, Oh Land, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Razorlight and Kasabian are the bands that I like and they aren't that commercial like The Killers, which I simply love! 

Coldplay? I like them but "Mylo Xyloto" sounds like "everybody, buy this album and make us the real next U2". But it happens that U2 makes great top charts songs. I remember when once Bono called Chris Martin a w*nker and I thought it was a bit mean, but I have to agree now. Chris can write good songs with meaningful lyrics but then he comes with "we'll be glowing in the dark"?
I like positive lyrics not silly.

I don't know if I'm too old (21) but these new musicians/performers (Adele, Beyonce, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga) bug me! Of course Adele has a great voice but her lyrics are really depressing and endlessly boring. Her lyrics could be poetry on a teenager's notebook but for a music genious (as she has been acclaimed)... well, I'm not asking for a Leonard Cohen or a Morrissey, but I think Fiona Apple got closer to poetry y'know, and she was even younger than Adele. 

I think The Killers still have a lot to prove. Brandon Flowers may speak his mind way too much and wear outrageous outfits on stage, but they're original. Plus I don't think that Lou Reed and Tim Burton would dirty their hands with a lame band.... no I didn't write this thread to say "I love The Killers", but it really makes me wonder what people with good music taste have been listening to.

well, it is just my opinion, of course you don't have to agree. tongue.gif
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Interesting opinion!

I believe the era of mega rock bands is over and that the further we progress into the future, the smaller musical acts will become. It seems people are simply too concerned with their individuality rather than artistic value these days. People have nothing else to do! We're by far the most entitled generation of the last couple centuries it seems. 

P.S. I'm also 21. 
  • Subscriber

i love other music besides u2. some 'oldies' like alanis morrisette, anouck, lenny cravitz (the older work), leonard cohen. and the 'classics' like dire straits, pink floyd, police, fleetwood mac, simon and garfunkel, beatles... i've also bought albums from 'new artists' too: duffy, mgmt, amy winehouse, black eyed peas...

but none of them fill me with the passion i feel for u2. this is the band from my teenage-years, and thats something special. whenever i felt lonely, misunderstood, sad, in war with the rest of the world, i listened to their music to comfort me. and thats irreplaceable i guess... its a once in a lifetime.
  • Subscriber

I do love other music too and listen to loads of other bands old and new.... Current favourites Muse, Doves, Friendly fires, Editors, laura Marling, Bon Hiver and Kasabian and loads of others. I also love Leonard Cohen, Smiths, Cure, and Joni Mitchell, pure poerty all of them... Too many favourites to list.

But U2 have been with me since seeing/ hearing Fire many years ago and we have been through so much together and there is nothing else that quite reaches out so much as they do. If they split up we still have a huge catalogue of music that will last forever.

It's like with Led Zepplin, my first obsession, they split years ago, but I still love them and listen to them and the music is still brilliant. It will be the same with U2

I am so not ready for U2 to go please don't leave us now.... But thank's to U2 I've found a band that are so similar in so many ways to U2. They are ridiculous live. They don't bullshit, are about the music not the money, write great lyrics. I will be following these guy and gals till they get old, me fellow canadians (well most of them), they rocked out in Moncton. Love em!! 

• Subscriber

I generally listen to less commercial bands - Fightstar, Stone Sour, Nine Inch Nails, etc., and also bands that don't go for a deliberately commercial direction but still find success such as Linkin Park, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Biffy Clyro, Pendulum, The Prodigy, Green Day (I've decided they're actually quite good now), Muse, Radiohead, Chase & Status, and others. I don't buy into the idea that U2 are better than all those purely because they've sold out more gigs, headlined a particular festival, sold millions of records worldwide, or picked up loads of awards. Sales and that sort of thing DO NOT equal quality music. Judgement should be based on the music ability and how good the songs are, if you ask me. Oh, and how good the artist is live.

Brandon flowers wears some weird stuff.....

Bono wears sunglasses all the time! Even when it's dark! And raining!

If U2 ever call it a day, then good for them. There is plenty of U2 music out there to still claim them as your favorite band. 21 is young for a U2 fan, not too old. Far from it.