Achtung Baby Uber box: missing tracks

ALangley

• Subscriber

I have a gripe. The Uber deluxe box set does not contain all the available tracks.

The Uber Deluxe box should be the final word on Achtung Baby, but for starters we're missing the Twilight mix of Night & Day on the CDs. in fact it's not in the Uber box at ALL.

It's only available on vinyl, in the 4 LP box. So to get it, you have to buy that set (£80+) as WELL as the £270-odd Uber Deluxe set, and it's still only on vinyl (can't even download it as part of the Uber downloads), and you'll end up with 2 copies of the main LP because we get THAT in the Uber box.

It would have been kinder if they'd either included the blue vinyl remix LPs in the Uber box (even if it meant it cost a bit more) or not included the LP at all (and charged less, so you could still go and buy the vinyl set as well if you felt compelled).

And either way, we should have got that elusive mix on CD. I don't care if everyone thinks the Steel String remix (which we DO get and was originally on the One CD single) is better, that's not the point, I'm not looking to get into a debate on the artistic merits of the various mixes here. I just reckon we should have got every mix that was released at the time, and it's clearly available if it can be included on the 4LP set.

Since Zooropa and some of the remixes are included, it would also have been nice to complete the set with the B-sides from Stay: I've Got You Under My Skin, Slow Dancing, Lemon (Bad Yard Club mix), and the live versions of Bullet The Blue Sky and Love Is Blindness.

Oh, and being totally pedantic, the Temple bar EDIT of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. We do get the full version though, which is preferable.

I know, most of us will have the CD singles anyway, and the missing Lemon mix is on the Melon CD, and this could be a concession to collectors out there who want to retain something a bit more exclusive.

At least you can GET those on CD format.

To my knowledge, Night & Day (Twilight mix) has NEVER had a CD release and I was hoping we'd finally get one here, but no.

(Plus it's frustrating to have to end up buying 2 copies of the LP to get everything.)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Fair point it had crossed my mind too.

if you want the twilight mix it did appear on a compilation cd outloud which you can get on e bay for a few quid. the mix is a little flat if you ask me compared to the steel string mix.

i ws disapointed that daddy car crash remix was excluded and other zooropa.

i read the download info as extra material to the uber set,but prehaps i was blinded by what I wanted.

the 4 LP set does look nice though.

• Subscriber

I think in terms of remasters/re-issues...............

I like the simple design of The Cure's.....The second discs don't contain b-sides of singles, they are more studio demo's of songs, other verions, etc etc..........stuff you wouldn't find normally. And the packaging isnt glam and BIG!

Led Zepp,,,,,,i like their remasters......as with Depeche Mode too.....

U2 have gone from starters, the first 3 albums, in double cardbook hardcase version which you can fit the first 4 albums in a box, an amazon special.....I like this idea.....i was hoping that they would do another hardbox for the next 3 remasters.....Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree....Rattle and Hum????? UF and TJT got their own special boxes to themselves, with a extra dvd...........pretty nice, infact brillliant idea! Then im thinking why didnt that do that for Boy, October, War, UABRS???

And thinking, oh Achtung Baby would be awesome in THAT style of the UF/TJT boxes..........

The AB reissue is BISON!!!!!

So when you put them all together, they dont really fit or go together.........THAT is a GOOD thing, better than just a substandard case, which Floyd has done.....

But i dont really know the music of the Floyd ones.........are they good mate???

• Subscriber

Are you referring to their music in general, or the value of the bonus material?

The Immersion box sets are disappointing. The Dark Side one has a bonus disk with an earlier version of the album (similar then to the 'baby' version of Achtung Baby we get here, or the Butch Vig version of Nirvana's Nevermind in their deluxe box), but it has a lot of pointless tat included to ramp up the price, and the presentation isn't up to much (you have to remove all the tat to get to the CDs... 4 are in trays at the bottom of the box, 2 in envelopes).

The 2-disk Experience editions of Dark Side and Wish You Were Here are good (even if the slipcases are rubbish).

Meanwhile, the Queen 40th anniversary releases have missed off so much material it's not even funny. But at least they have jewel cases.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like proper jewel cases, not these cheap-looking cardboard slipcases that are getting all the more common. I get concerned that the CDs will get scuffed and fingerprinty when you pull them out and shove them back in.

I could level a similar criticism at the Uber box, since all the disks are ultimately in slipcases, but at least they are a bit more roomy than the ones in the other U2 deluxe issues you mentioned. Anyway, I got a load of anti-static inner sleeves for CDs off EBay and immediately transferred all my affected U2 disks into those...

• Subscriber

I think it's all geared up to maximise profits for the record label by offering the different formats with extar bits and pieces peculiar to seperate items, so if you want everything you have to buy everything, you can't mix and match at a price that fits your pocket, pretty shit way to treat fans really

• Subscriber

I think it's all geared up to maximise profits for the record label by offering the different formats with extar bits and pieces peculiar to seperate items, so if you want everything you have to buy everything, you can't mix and match at a price that fits your pocket, pretty shit way to treat fans really

• Subscriber

• Subscriber