One from Ultraviolet or Mysterious Ways?

monica martino

• Subscriber

No, this is not a new poll :)

But I need your help to try to solve an enigma

In From the sky down we can see that ONE was born from Mysterious Ways. Granted.

I started to read only in the last couple of days At the end of the world by B. Flanagan, italian version

I can agree that translation mistakes can occure but seriously doubt that the mistakes can involve title songs: it would be ridiculous..

At page 17(italian edition- Chapter 1 I think for everybody) BF talks of the birth of One and he clearly says that was during the night the band was working on Ultraviolet

Anyone around with the book handy to confirm the translation is right? and in case who's wrong: Flanagan at the time of writing or U2 nowadys?

• Subscriber

After consulting my U2 library, yes, that's what it says in the book, Monica.

"One night, they are struggling with a track called 'Ultra Violet' and it's going nowhere. Edge figures the song needs another section and goes to the piano in the big room to come up with a middle eight. After playing for a while he had two possible parts and isn't sure which one would be better for the song. He comes back into the control booth, picks up an acoustic guitar, and plays both of them for Lanois and Bono to see which they prefer".

I'm inclined to go with From the Sky Down's version that it spawned from Mysterious Ways (or was it called Sick Puppy at the time?) since they replayed the DAT recordings and voila! There is was!   

• Subscriber

right: 1995

first italian edition 1996

I got the 2nd italian edition on ebay but I just bought the english version on amazon.it, used book for only 5.39 euro shipping included

I'm liking it a lot, so far (first 2 chapters) is almost the written version of From the sky down