you wanna see what my house looks like??

barbara1

you buy them on pallets; 1,2,3... pallets. think we had 4 of them, but no idea how many bricks on each one?? the contractor worked out how many we needed by the heights and wideness of the walls and ordered them.
that sounds really heavy...did you rent a fork lift for that?

how did you get them home?

what goes between each brick to hold it to the next brick?

im just curious..hope you dont mind...for some reason, I like bricks!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

wow, spicy, i would say you think bout building your own place by all those questions you ask? wink.gif

answers: the bricks were delivered by the company that sells them, big truck with crane on top. between the bricks goes a mix of cement with sand and water. and no, not doin own plumbing/electrical work (i don feel like drowning are frying in my own house wink.gif) we have professionals to do that, but my love and oldest son (who's gonna be electrician himself when he graduates in 2 more years) are helping where ever they can. and they learned a lot since we started the works.
contractor recently said to them: keep it up and you'll be able to build your next house on your own!!
told him he must be insane, cause when this place gets finished there's no way i'm ever gonna start all over again! no way josé!

• Subscriber

@spicy: the bathroom not finished yet. at this moment the outer walls are goin up. not sure if houses are build the same on other continents, maybe should have watched extreme makeover when it was on hereohwell.gif

anyway; over here the inner walls are made of the big bricks (as you can see in my pics), easier and quicker to handle and cheaper too. isolation is attached on them and then, to finish the walls, the visible, smaller bricks are mortared around this construction. omg, hope this semi-english explanation makes a bit of sense to you allembarassed.gif is hoping we can put roof on next week. 
we have figured out how to get a bathtub, shower and sink in and still have enough space to move around. 
next thing up we need to compare different companies, different product and prices.the tub will have to be big enough for 2. but no claw feet, i guess you mean the free bathtub? ours will be tiled like the walls round it, much easier to clean.

• Subscriber

Hi Barbara!!!! Long time, no see!!! Glad to see the progress being made on your house - how exciting eek.gif and it is really coming along!!! Your explanation makes perfect sense (except I think you meant "insulation" instead of "isolation" wink.gif. . . . let it go and so to fade away, lol). Yes, houses are built in much the same way over here. It is common to tear down walls, then re-wire, etc. Flooring, whether wood, travertine, or tile comes on pallets as do bricks. We don't use brick in our walls though unless for decorative purposes on patios, fireplaces, etc. Our walls are framed in wood, then covered on the outside in stucco (similar to cement) or vinyl siding. Stucco is most common in the west probably due to termites. In older parts of the country brick was used. Then, the inside of the wall is insulated and covered in dry wall or plaster which is painted when all the dust settles, lol. We renovated two houses in the last 6 months, but the floor plans were awesome and they only needed a few cosmetic updates, so no knocking down walls. Same as the house we live in in which we updated all the flooring, kitchen, all the bathrooms several years ago. We extended a wall in that one. Never had to knock anything down, lol.

• Subscriber

thanx for confirming, janet. i had a feeling american houses were mostly made out of wood. not over here. and yes i do mean insulation (i think) dutch word: 'isolatie', to protect from cold and keep warmth inside. and breaking down is the fun part!!! except for the dust, dirt, and having to get rid of the materials afterwards....

next on planning (this week, starting tomorrow!) tearing out kitchens old, wooden ceiling. wonder what we'll find on the other side...  30 year old dust and dirt, mouse-droppings. so we need masks to protect us. will empty kitchen as much as i can later today. 
workmen just arrived to work on the roof, fingers crossed for rain to stop and stay way now!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

past few weeks were horror in our renovation-adventure. it started raining, raining, raining.because the roof on the extension still wasnt finished the water started dripping from kitchenwalls. also from ceiling above toilet.... the roof-company was very busy, with the holidays coming up. but luckily they realized our situation was very urgent, so they helped us out, 2 days before xmas. took few hours to prepare the buidling for the new roof, and right after i left for work, they took out the rubber roof, and discovered there had been a mistake with measurements! the roof was 1 meter too short!!!! so they had to take it back to manufactory and adjust. they came back next day. the day our new rainwater-collectors would be digged in.... so not a great timing. all these workmen literally stumpled over eachother. but atleast wasnt us who made the mistake!

after roof was fixed, we could start with cutting out the walls to put new electricity, watertubes and gastubes in. but electrician didnt make it on friday, as arranged. he psotphoned till saturday-morning. so i spend the last afternoon of 2011 on my knees cleaning kitchen and trying to get it dustfree for newyears-eve's dinner.
now we are still waiting for the plasterer, more dust to look forward too, sigh.
pics?

• Subscriber

014-2.jpg

taking down the kitchen-ceiling. after the first few boards, hans wasnt feeling so good (next day all 3 of us were on coach, sick with gastro-enteritis, the youngest kids had suffered the previous weekend). jona and me took over. (we discovered lots of mice-holes...mice-droppings. and big droppings, i don wanna know what animals lived on our ceiling the past 60 years!) 

018.jpg

through the years water has damaged the ceiling. we had the roof replaced by a rubber-one piece-one 2 years ago. no more leaks eversince!