Win A Trabbie Contest

• Subscriber

[quote name='BigBunny wrote:

muis']

congrats Muis wink.gif i voted for you and honestly your entry is the only one that i like. i'm very disappointed that xrayjets 'Swing' didn't make it in ohwell.gif most of those chosen i just don't think they say U2... but i'm not the one picking.

congrats again!

thank you bigbunny!

there were so many other great submissions...I don't know where they are looking for..

I'm surprised myself they picked me...

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Last saterday I recieved an email from talenthouse, they wanted an interview on skype with all the shortlisted in the U2 Creative Invite from Talenthouse. because my english is not so good, I was pretty nervous about it...:-)

They said they may not be able to interview everyone before the deadline, as time was limited.  

I decided to tell my story in an email, wich a U2 friend of mine translated..

I've had no interview with talenthouse, but this is my story:

As my English isn't that good and because I'm pretty nervous about the interview I would first like to dictate something in the hope that by doing so I answer the majority of the questions you had in mind. (I had a friend of mine translate this email for me...)

My name is Ilona Muis, I am 49 years old and I live in the Netherlands and I am of course a U2 fan. My brother introduced me to their music 30 years ago, truly fantastic!

Thanks to the internet and U2.com I came in touch various Dutch and Belgian U2 "whackos" via the forum. What a blast! Stories about U2, their music, concerts etc continously went back and forth because everyone was overly busy with it. Even to the extreme that various households were regularly neglected :-) 

With U2 being the binding factor between us all and the virtual contact being so great we decided to make appointments to meet each other in real life but it went even further then that....

When my son was diagnosed with a serious disease and had to be operated on I unexpectedly received an enormous amount of support form these people. This is something I will never forget, this was in the beginning of 2005.
Others also shared their personal struggles with each other on "our" forum and everyone had a feeling of unity and involvement.

Where else do you experience something like that on a forum? Does it have to do with U2? Yes, I think it does....their lyrics, their music, their characters, U2 inspires us all, even in our day to day lives....

The Vertigo tour started in 2005 and of course we all went to the concerts (be it with or without our partners). I cannot describe hoe fantastic it was to experience this with this group of people....priceless!

After the tour we regularly organized and still organize U2 parties in my hometown. I can tell you that we have become a very close group of friends because other then just at U2 concerts we stay in regular contact with each other!

The ultimate get together was during U2's previous tour in Dublin. It was one big party there with our group whereby, together with a few other friends, we literally ran into Bono in his favorite pub!

When we read about the Achtung Baby competition, I  naturally had the urge to make something. I had already been busy with painting in which I let U2 and my U2 friends inspire me.

Arabic Spring...Revolution, Faith, Perseverence, Human Rights, Democracy, Hope; all as ONE

So many people on the Tahrir Square in Cairo, persevering, with so much hope for a better future..this made me think of the Berlin wall, in the time that Achtung Baby was being recorded in Berlin. The liberation after the suppression..

Even though there is still a long way to go for many Arabic countries where today fighting still takes place, I hope that  one day all will have democracy and freedom.

In regards to my contribution: Its the spring of new life as represented by the lilies. Lilies are the flowers of easter, symbolizing rebirth.

Behind the lilies is a veiled woman, filled with hope but also fears of what is to come. I painted the woman on canvas and afterwards lay the lilies on the canvas and made a picture of that. I then proceeded to process the picture on the computer.

I found it an extreme honor to be allowed to participate in the competition and I would like to thank everyone at Talenthouse for the opportunity....even though there was quite some stress involved around the voting procedure... I would also like to thank everyone who voted for me and all of my U2 friends who supported me during this project.

I hope the above gives you more insight into me, my motivation, my world.

Ilona Muis 

Dear Muis, thank you for sharing your submission story and a big congratulations on winning! So exciting that a fellow Zootopian won, that's all most of us said and wanted. I'm very happy for you. smile.gif
  • Subscriber

Congratulations Muis on such an honour, as you said.

I am ecstatic and proud that a Zootop made it in the final cut.

Your email tells exactly how many of us feel about the band and more importantly each other. I joined the Zootopian family in 2006 and have made so many friends here, many I now consider as part of my family, even though we are not related, except for the fact that we are kindred spirits, who go to great lengths to see 'our boys' play and to meet up and spend time together at concerts and more importantly outside of official U2 related events.

More than having their music help me through good and hard times alike, I treasure the friendships they have helped us forge. It is something that - well yes money did buy, in the form of a yearly subscription to U2.com - but it is something that money could never take the place of.

I have said before and often wonder, if when they gathered in Larry's parents kitchen for those first rehearsals, did they ever think of just how much they could and would have an impact on so many lives around the world. Not only their fans but those who now receive aid and care as a result of their humanitarian efforts.

Well done clap.gifand congratulations once again.

Tina

• Subscriber

[quote name='muis wrote:

BigBunny']congrats Muis
wink.gif
 i voted for you and honestly your entry is the only one that i like. i'm very disappointed that xrayjets 'Swing' didn't make it in 
ohwell.gif
 most of those chosen i just don't think they say U2... but i'm not the one picking.

congrats again!

thank you bigbunny!

there were so many other great submissions...I don't know where they are looking for..

I'm surprised myself they picked me...actually i'm not surprised, your entry does stand out. that darn eye tongue.gif the news is talking about this Arab Spring and i think your burka lady with the flower looks good... and like i just said, that eye O_o she's looking at me. myself i'm a Zionist so i would not be popular in Egypt and other Islamic countries.

• Subscriber
Congratulations Muis on such an honour, as you said.

I am ecstatic and proud that a Zootop made it in the final cut.

Your email tells exactly how many of us feel about the band and more importantly each other. I joined the Zootopian family in 2006 and have made so many friends here, many I now consider as part of my family, even though we are not related, except for the fact that we are kindred spirits, who go to great lengths to see 'our boys' play and to meet up and spend time together at concerts and more importantly outside of official U2 related events.

More than having their music help me through good and hard times alike, I treasure the friendships they have helped us forge. It is something that - well yes money did buy, in the form of a yearly subscription to U2.com - but it is something that money could never take the place of.

I have said before and often wonder, if when they gathered in Larry's parents kitchen for those first rehearsals, did they ever think of just how much they could and would have an impact on so many lives around the world. Not only their fans but those who now receive aid and care as a result of their humanitarian efforts.

Well done clap.gifand congratulations once again.

Tina

thank you!

I agree with that!

U2 + my U2 friends = One! 

Hi Muis! Your story is exciting and you had inspiration and creativity to make the paint. Well done!

Thanks for sharing a bit of your life with us. I have the same fellings about U2 and their songs. It´s so good when music and rock stars make people feel good and give opportunity for meetings, new relashionships and new friends!