HELP needed, question about 2 voice Microphone brands

Sigma957

Hola good people of Middle Earth,

Our church is badly in need of new microphones. The ones we have now are as old as Raiders of the Lost Ark and have been abused (bashed in heads). I'm in the church choir and am looking at replacing them with current generation models.

Anyone here have any experience with Peavey or Sampson? They use the XLR cable type.

Have a few options on eBay for good prices; not going to make it here by Christmas, so before 2012 is fine. We could go with Shure again but would like to save some coin if possible.

Much mahalos

Hola good people of Middle Earth,

Our church is badly in need of new microphones. The ones we have now are as old as Raiders of the Lost Ark and have been abused (bashed in heads). I'm in the church choir and am looking at replacing them with current generation models.

Anyone here have any experience with Peavey or Sampson? They use the XLR cable type.

Have a few options on eBay for good prices; not going to make it here by Christmas, so before 2012 is fine. We could go with Shure again but would like to save some coin if possible.

Much mahalos

Yeah, he kinda laughed when I said Peavey or Sampson, so he said what are you going to be using it for, meaning are they choir mics or solo mics. If they're just wired hand held vocal mics go with Behringer 8500 mics. Its a Shure SM 58 copy. Priced around $30, or like 3 for $60. They are sturdy, sound good, quality mic for the money.

[quote name='wahine wrote:

Sigma957']Hola good people of Middle Earth,

Much mahalos

Yeah, he kinda laughed when I said Peavey or Sampson, so he said what are you going to be using it for, meaning are they choir mics or solo mics. If they're just wired hand held vocal mics go with Behringer 8500 mics. Its a Shure SM 58 copy. Priced around $30, or like 3 for $60. They are sturdy, sound good, quality mic for the money.

He has like so many questions, are you looking for hanging choir mics? You cant scrimp on those kinda mics, you gotta get real ones....Audio Technica U853R run about $200 a piece....Or go with a pro 45 that is half the price, but not as good. Well, almost as good, still head and shoulders above anything else thats out there. And they come in white if its for a church. How the f he knows this off the top of his head, I dont know. He says you should be able to score a deal if you are purchasing more than one, nobody just buys one, then if you have a full choir you may need 4 or 5, depends on how big your choir is and how much area you need to cover...

The way things work, you need to go shop online at either Musician Friend or Sam Ash or a site like that cuz where so many people get stuck on certain brands is their local music stores are only licensed to carry this or that brand so they really push it and people get it into their heads thats what they need when folks go in for help. Just shop around online at reputable sites and you should be able to find some good deals.

For solo vocal mics, go with Shure SM58's....the most common vocal mic around. Bono uses the Shure Beta 58 wireless mics...the most common wireless vocal mic, except an SM58 capsule will do. Don't settle for Behringer, Peavy's or Sampson...if you wanna get great sound with durability and your money's worth. For choir mics, go with condenser mics...Shure KSM 32's or Shure SM81's are great. You can even go with Audio Technica 4040 for choir mics. Good luck in your search.

My husband has worked for some of the biggest names in the industy, never U2 though THANK GOD! That's the one thing I do like, being able to go see whatever shows whenever I want, which I really dont take advantage of...He spends most of his time these days working with the Jazz industry on the side. LOL, when we had to clear customs with a famous guitar player, last year, I wont give names, he had to come into the USA (Since he is not an American) as part of my family, that he was traveling with his family. The customs dude was like yeah he is a French citizen and you are an American. I told him look at my last name! Which is French by marriage, IT WAS RIDICULOUS what he was going through in the other line, so he told them I got seperated from my family, oh there she is, Im in the wrong line..We had just come off the best trip together so I went along with it we pulled it off. I've got stories about all kinds of folks from punk rockers to gospel. Hell, that's how I raised my kids on this industry, so yeah, If you wanna drop a bunch of money feel free to, I find it strange that a church would be spending their money that way in times like this, but to each their own...Shure is always the way to go unless you are trying to save money and then there are viable good options.

I don't find St George spending money on good mics at a time like this strange. St George is self funded by its parishoners. We have set aside a budget from that pool for the music department. Our mics were over 30 years old and well abused. We don't frivolously blow money on things at St George. It's a sound investment for the next 30 years.

/rant