Rolling Stone Magazine advice for U2's future...

MacFoley

• Subscriber

ROLLING STONE'S ADVICE FOR U2 IN 2012

7209-t.jpg
Posted: January 04, 2012
By: m2 / @mattmcgee

Bono isn't sure what U2 should do next. He's worried that U2 is verging on irrelevance. There's talk of three album projects in the works. Fans have been debating these matters in our forum for months, and now even Rolling Stone magazine is weighing in with some advice for U2. They specifically refer to some of Bono's recent comments about needing to have U2 songs played on radio with what some might call a cold dose of reality:

"We hope that they realize that radio is unlikely to put any song they ever write into heavy rotation; instead, they should just focus on making another great record, and then hit the road on an arena tour that drops some of the old warhorses in favor of great songs from the past.... We fear their primary focus is competing with Lady Gaga on the radio. It's a fight they're going to lose."

You can read more on Rolling Stone's website as part of the magazine's 2012 Hopes & Fears feature. And then join fellow U2 fans in discussing the Rolling Stone article in our forum.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

...must say i agree.

Although the work with Dangermouse sound very exciting, the thought of U2 going "pop" to battle with Gaga is a little scarey. At the end of the day U2 are a rock band, they started off New wave and punkish, went all American, then cyberpunk and dance guru's, back to being a rock band.....

I hope they don't turn out like some black eyed peas type of music style as this "reinvention" thing....

LEATHER ALL THE WAY BOYS!!!!

• Subscriber

It's harder than the Achtung Baby moment....

Achtung wasn't written and made to get played on the radio either. Big difference today's market than 11 years ago.

The internet killed the BIG sales for starters....

• Subscriber

U2 vying for radio airplay with the likes of Lady Gaga and the like is doomed to fail I'm afraid, if they start to release average sounding pop tunes then they will certainly become irrelevant. I would rather have one last Great album than three average ones, if you're gonna go, go with a BANG. Achtung Baby wasn't radio friendly but is one of the greatest albums ever released, and in my opinion U2 have never really been a singles band, they're best work is the songs as a collective, some of the best songs on a U2 album never get released as singles, here are a few examples, Drowning Man, When I look at the World, Until the end of the World, Zoo Station, So Cruel, Love and Peace. These songs alone would make a great album, so please U2, don't follow a fashion or a trend, do what you do best....LEAD THE WAY!!!!

• Subscriber

Worth mentioning on the must have a hit on the radio part which U2 appears stuck on is many, and I do mean many, people loathe the radio and much of the extremely overplayed very narrow list of pop "hit" music which is on it. Sure you can find some good hits every now and again (not very often), but I think it would be wrong to place a huge focus on getting a radio hit with their next album. If they get one, great. But it's definitely not the end of the world if they don't. Especially given the wide array of places people turn to these days to listen to music. The radio is not tops anymore. The internet and it's many ways of listening to and sharing music is. But that aside, I personally like the idea of them just doing what they do and concentrating on making another great record.

• Subscriber

Worth mentioning on the must have a hit on the radio part which U2 appears stuck on is many, and I do mean many, people loathe the radio and much of the extremely overplayed very narrow list of pop "hit" music which is on it. Sure you can find some good hits every now and again (not very often), but I think it would be wrong to place a huge focus on getting a radio hit with their next album. If they get one, great. But it's definitely not the end of the world if they don't. Especially given the wide array of places people turn to these days to listen to music. The radio is not tops anymore. The internet and it's many ways of listening to and sharing music is. But that aside, I personally like the idea of them just doing what they do and concentrating on making another great record.

• Subscriber

U2 vying for radio airplay with the likes of Lady Gaga and the like is doomed to fail I'm afraid, if they start to release average sounding pop tunes then they will certainly become irrelevant. I would rather have one last Great album than three average ones, if you're gonna go, go with a BANG. Achtung Baby wasn't radio friendly but is one of the greatest albums ever released, and in my opinion U2 have never really been a singles band, they're best work is the songs as a collective, some of the best songs on a U2 album never get released as singles, here are a few examples, Drowning Man, When I look at the World, Until the end of the World, Zoo Station, So Cruel, Love and Peace. These songs alone would make a great album, so please U2, don't follow a fashion or a trend, do what you do best....LEAD THE WAY!!!!

Sorry but U2 are or were a singles band here in the uk....

Their first top 10 hit was New years day. They have had Desire, The Fly, Discotheque, Beautiful Day, Vertigo and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own all got to number 1.

The singles from Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and All That You Can't Leave Behind all got into the top 10.

From 1981 to 2006 most of their singles here reached high chart positions too.

But i agree to battle with Gaga, will see them lose....

• Subscriber

No Line On The Horizon to me was a great record. Shame they didn't see it that way after starting off saying "it was their best album".....