Rolling Stone Magazine advice for U2's future...

MacFoley

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

Shannon387']Worth mentioning on the must have a hit on the radio part which U2 appears stuck on is many, and I do mean many, people loathe the radio and much of the extremely overplayed very narrow list of pop "hit" music which is on it. Sure you can find some good hits every now and again (not very often), but I think it would be wrong to place a huge focus on getting a radio hit with their next album. If they get one, great. But it's definitely not the end of the world if they don't. Especially given the wide array of places people turn to these days to listen to music. The radio is not tops anymore. The internet and it's many ways of listening to and sharing music is. But that aside, I personally like the idea of them just doing what they do and concentrating on making another great record.

No Line On The Horizon to me was a great record. Shame they didn't see it that way after starting off saying "it was their best album".....

I thought it was a great album also. Still do. Personally, I still think the fault (lack of large scale success for No Line which U2 are accustomed to) with that were the initial marketing efforts were not what they should have been, and not the album itself but eh, what do I know. lol 

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

Shannon387']Worth mentioning on the must have a hit on the radio part which U2 appears stuck on is many, and I do mean many, people loathe the radio and much of the extremely overplayed very narrow list of pop "hit" music which is on it. Sure you can find some good hits every now and again (not very often), but I think it would be wrong to place a huge focus on getting a radio hit with their next album. If they get one, great. But it's definitely not the end of the world if they don't. Especially given the wide array of places people turn to these days to listen to music. The radio is not tops anymore. The internet and it's many ways of listening to and sharing music is. But that aside, I personally like the idea of them just doing what they do and concentrating on making another great record.

No Line On The Horizon to me was a great record. Shame they didn't see it that way after starting off saying "it was their best album".....

I thought it was a great album also. Still do. Personally, I still think the fault (lack of large scale success for No Line which U2 are accustomed to) with that were the initial marketing efforts were not what they should have been, and not the album itself but eh, what do I know. lol 

a quote from Bono on "VH1 Legends- U2", right around the time of the Elevation Tour

"I dont wanna be in a crap band. And the minute U2 becomes a crap band we're all outta here. And "crap" isnt measured in sales OR EVEN RELEVANCE . Its about the sense of adventure - is it still there? Are you still blowing your own mind? Are you still growing as a musician and a person? And in u2, we still are"

THEY NEED TO TRY TO BLOW THEIR OWN MINDS AND EFF ALL THE REST!!!! THEN, they will be successful!!!!

adventure, experimentation, exploration!!!! Who gives a flying eff about radio!!!! Who SHOULD????

• Subscriber

Coming from true fans, but doesn't entice/introduce non fans, does it ? afterall, they do want to make money and they do want to be revelant, not just to their fans, I love U2!! but I understand what they mean, I think :o)

• Subscriber

I wonder if Bono is hiding their lack of inspiration at the moment under this "we need songs on the radio" thing...if THIS is the reason that he thinks they're irrelevant..well: he's horribly wrong. It's the complete opposite fact !!!

• Subscriber

Well, country now = Top 40 and rock is...what IS rock? I think it could be that rock itself is becoming irrelevant. It's been around 60+ years and U2 has been in 1/2 that.

Maybe it's time for rock itself to be reinvented?

The boys can do that! Come on, boys! Let's do it!!