Visiting Dublin!!!

party_girl73

Hello people, happy.gif

Ok, my first thread on here.ohwell.gif
Here’s the thing. I am going to Dublin in April to see a gig of another band I actually love as much as U2.
U2 and this band are always battling for first place on my list.

Now Dublin the home of U2smile.gif. Visited Dublin 13 years ago but then missed out on visiting the places for a U2 fan. 
This time I have the privilege that a real Dubliner is showing me aroundhappy.gif, and no it’s not Bono!!!!glasses.gif
He knows where Bono lives and is gonna take me up there. I don’t why I want to see it, I just want to for once in my life. I have to get a drink or two in the Clarence Hotel of course.
Mount temple school should be do-able too. I believe that their old studio has been demolished, the place in the Docklands?!?
Has anybody of you on here done something similar when visiting Dublin??? And are there other places that I should try to visit when in Dublin???
I don’t know if it’s possible to do all this on one daytired.giffrown.gif, I will try to squeeze in as much as possible.

And a belated Happy New Year to all of you on here.happy.gif

• Subscriber

I was in Dublin this past September. I didn't get to go to the school or out to Bono's house, but I did see the studio locations. Both the Windmill Lane studios and the Hanover Quay studios were still there in September. Oh, and the Clarence was nice. That's where I stayed in Dublin. I hope you have a great trip! smile.gif

The Clarence is the only place I went that had anything to do with U2, I use to stay there on my trips when I was going back forth every year, so I got to stay in all kinds of different rooms, they are all different so that was kinda cool...I never went to see any of those U2 places, I just wandered and did whatever I wanted and I loved Temple Bar and the Howth area (although now its so overrated), I spent a lot of time in churches, museums and parks, walking along the Liffey in Dublin at night is so cool. So much to see. Good luck on your trip. I always traveled and stayed in Dublin alone so I didnt wander too far from the city. I did go out to Liliies, super fun club, but the clubs that were there when I use to go arent there anymore except I think the Baggot Inn is still there, I guess that might be U2 related LOL. U2's The Kitchen (located downstairs beneath the Clarence) was THE BEST! That's gone too...Have fun at the show you are going to, I did get to see Blur play while I was there. I actually had lots of fun each time I went but its just too damn cold for me...It was always a shock getting off the plane there. Maybe someone over there should put together a U2 location tour bus or something, it would probably do really well, kinda like the Hollywood tour buses LOL!

• Subscriber

Hello people, happy.gif

Ok, my first thread on here.ohwell.gif

Here’s the thing. I am going to Dublin in April to see a gig of another band I actually love as much as U2.

U2 and this band are always battling for first place on my list.

Now Dublin the home of U2smile.gif. Visited Dublin 13 years ago but then missed out on visiting the places for a U2 fan. 
This time I have the privilege that a real Dubliner is showing me aroundhappy.gif, and no it’s not Bono!!!!glasses.gif
He knows where Bono lives and is gonna take me up there. I don’t why I want to see it, I just want to for once in my life. I have to get a drink or two in the Clarence Hotel of course.
Mount temple school should be do-able too. I believe that their old studio has been demolished, the place in the Docklands?!?
Has anybody of you on here done something similar when visiting Dublin??? And are there other places that I should try to visit when in Dublin???
I don’t know if it’s possible to do all this on one daytired.giffrown.gif, I will try to squeeze in as much as possible.

And a belated Happy New Year to all of you on here.happy.gif

It will be a long day but you can do it! Dalkey is a bit far out - but a lovely trip and well worth going to see the gates of Heaven lol! 

Windmill lane studios are still there - but closed down - worth seeing though! And Hanover Quays is a must - you can't go to Dublin and not visit mecca! (don't forget your sharpie to leave your mark on the wall!) 
If you can try and get to Hard Rock Cafe - does a good pint of Guinness as has one of the Zoo trabants hanging from the ceiling as well as some other U2 memorabilia. And don't forget Bonovox hearing aid shop! @u2 website has a U2 Dublin map showing all the U2 sites in around the city - worth having a look at and deciding on what you want to see. 

And Hello there and welcome to the zoo happy.gif

• Subscriber

Killiney (where Bono lives) is not so far out the centre of Dublin. Hop on a Dart (a mixture of a tram and a metro, don't forget to buy the fairly cheap card that is valid several days) and in about 30 minutes you are there.

Enjoy the beautiful scenery in the bay of Dublin. You won't be disappointed.

Mount Temple is not so interesting, but a real 'historic' U2 place. But mind it isn't open to the public.

Hey people,happy.gif

Thanks for your suggestions so far.happy.gif It's a bit uncertain if we can make it to the "Gates of Heaven" as Zhivvy called it LOL. But deffo the Clarence Hotel, Hanover Quays, Windmill Studios. Wahine, I have done that too at my first visit to Dublin 13 years ago, visited a lot of places not related to U2. Zhivvy thanks for mentioning the Hard Rock Café. Monica thanks for your suggestions. Malahide thanks for mentioning the possibilties of getting around Dublin with public transport. And @Peterferris8, the other band is Big Country. I don't know if you are pleased or dissapointed to hear that.ohwell.gif They are from the same era as U2, Simple Minds, The Alarm. The original singer and lead guitarist sadly passed away more then 10 years ago and Mike Peters of The Alarm is the singer now with addition to the original line-up of Jamie Watson as guitarist. They are playing in April in Dublin on a Fridaynight. On Saturday they are performing in Belfast and I'm going to that gig too. I will spend 4 days in total in Ireland, 2 days in Dublin and 2 days in Belfast.

I am very much looking forward to this but my ultimate wish is to see U2 perform at Slane Castle before they retire!!!!!! 

All and all, I enjoy visiting Ireland very much and it's always very good craic with the Irish!!!happy.gif