SOPA/PIPA Internet Protest now in effect

Sigma957

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

It looks like the protest was heard loud and clear. I and I think many others participated in the online protesting being held by companies like Google who had a petition on their site. I didn't comment here because it's just not why I'm here. It's definitely not because I don't care about the issue. There was a lot of discussion on this on Facebook, and that's also where I entered most of the discussions on the issue. I'll share a few articles which just came out which are a good read which were published on Mashable.

Why SOPA Is Dangerous (Opinion): http://mashable.com/2012/01/17/sopa-dangerous-opinion/ 

Internet Users to Congress: We Hate SOPA: http://mashable.com/2012/01/19/sopa-internet/ -->This one has the stats of the protest on the 18th. Pretty impressive actually.

RIP SOPA: The Internet Kills It's Attackers: http://mashable.com/2012/01/20/rip-sopa/

• Subscriber

It looks like the protest was heard loud and clear. I and I think many others participated in the online protesting being held by companies like Google who had a petition on their site. I didn't comment here because it's just not why I'm here. It's definitely not because I don't care about the issue. There was a lot of discussion on this on Facebook, and that's also where I entered most of the discussions on the issue. I'll share a few articles which just came out which are a good read which were published on Mashable.

Why SOPA Is Dangerous (Opinion): http://mashable.com/2012/01/17/sopa-dangerous-opinion/ 

Internet Users to Congress: We Hate SOPA: http://mashable.com/2012/01/19/sopa-internet/ -->This one has the stats of the protest on the 18th. Pretty impressive actually.

RIP SOPA: The Internet Kills It's Attackers: http://mashable.com/2012/01/20/rip-sopa/

I posted here because most U2 subscribers are free subscribers. And U2 fans are supposedly the most vocal of any people. So surely the 4,500,000 that protested were all U2 fans? And all of them in the US? Clearly not since the potential protest population for the US was estimated at 300,000,000.

They will try to pass SOPA and PIPA under our noses. Just watch.

Otherwise everyone would be protesting:

S.1867

S.3081

H.R. 4892

Be vigilant.

They're trying to appease the Motion Picture Industry and Recording Industry. The motion picture industry is the big culprit behind all this, with all their money and lobbyists. If our government is going to get involved with the internet and piracy, they need to sit down and learn from the people who understand the internet and technology before they come up with some arbitrary bill.

• Subscriber

They're trying to appease the Motion Picture Industry and Recording Industry. The motion picture industry is the big culprit behind all this, with all their money and lobbyists. If our government is going to get involved with the internet and piracy, they need to sit down and learn from the people who understand the internet and technology before they come up with some arbitrary bill.
But these are the same people that spend our money like it's unending. They don't use logic!!

A Zootop sent me a message, to help me understand why this could be a big problem for even u2.com community members!

[/font]"I can even see an effect for the forums here.

[/font]

If the site had to take on all the responsibility of strictly policing every little thing we post on[/font]

[/font]
 here, I can see the boards just getting[/font]

[/font]
 shut down completely. [/font]

[/font]
The costs of running the boards would most likely increase, and the task of moderating[/font]

[/font]
 everything would become more complicated.[/font]

[/font]
 It might just be easier to just not even bother. [/font]

[/font]

I can see this also happening with sites like youtube. [/font]

[/font]

That site is all user uploaded content. [/font]

[/font]

If youtube had to actively go after all content[/font]

[/font]
 uploaded that might be an infringement to copyright[/font]

[/font]
 somewhere, their costs would most likely skyrocket. [/font]

[/font]

I can see sites like that either shutting down completely, or charging users to upload in order to defray the increased cost of policing[/font]

[/font]

content. In effect, the legislation would basically cause the Internet to become censored, and censorship is just not the way to go,[/font]

[/font]

unless we want to be an ignorant, closed minded society. This is just my opinion."[/font]

[/font]
Thanks to my zootopian friend, I can see now why this sopa could close down even this site.[/font]

------

SOPA is set for a 2nd round in February. PIPA is up for vote on Jan 24th. It is not dead.

thanks sigma for that important update.....

surely, stopping people from stealing from artists can be done another way....

just cut off the funding to the really bad sites that are doing this, but not the draconian ideas they are thinking of enforcing now...

geez, did you see my avitar?

I dint get permission to use "Dramatic chipmunk" as an image...

so I could go to jail or 5 years possibly.....???

Listen, they have early release and people not even doing their full sentence just for all of the over crowding alone...

I highly doubt there is the money they would need to spend on prosecuting every copyright breech, nevermind the cost of housing someone for 5 years at taxpayers expense...

we need to use other methods, and we need to spend money on less prison time for non-violent offenders, and put it into re-building this country.

Our roads and highways, bridges are crumbling...we need better housing options too....

Has anyone seen downtown Los angeles and all of the homeless all over the place, living in cardboard boxes?

MY GOD!

Is this more f**King important than that?