Twelve months in music

Koke-dera

• Subscriber

"I have been your guilty pleasure, I've been your lack of restraint"

Well, I guess following B&E's year-end wrap up, I toss out my thoughts on 2011, which is kinda weird, both because my sense of the  year is wobbly (heck I spent two months straight of it asleep and unable to hear), and because distribution of music keeps getting  funkier. The latter's problematic for me as I'm more "a find it in the record store or by live exposure" person, and stopped listening to radio decades ago. So, thanks to things that came out in 2010 and I never got my hands on a copy until 2011, there are these:

Disappear Here by Hybrid
Where did the night fall by UNKLE
The Morning After the Night Before by James
Im New Here by Gil Scott Heron
Wide Awake in Europe

- five 2010s and easily the discs I listened to the most in 2011.

and in the fuzzy 2011/2012 category of albums that were on i-Tunes in 2011 but not on CD until 2012, or have been out in the UK for months and aren't out here yet I'd put these as ones I like:

A Collection by Underworld
1992-2012 by Underworld  (finally full length Minneapolis on CD)
Fallen Empires by Snow Patrol
An Appointment with Mr. Yeats by Waterboys

and turning to actual 2011 releases, there was the only reissue that mattered - the AB 20th anniversary reissue

'Course there was also Gavin's album (Catholic guilty pleasure that it is), and from his pick for Q's artist of the past 20 years, 2 from Kate Bush - 50 words for snow (love the duet with Elton John) and the semi-reissue The Director's Cut

Along the line of Kate's piano work, there was also the piano demos from This is the Sea: In a Special Place by the Waterboys, which had one of my favourite songs of the year with "Paris in the Rain." In the liner notes Mike Scott claimed it's about Rimbaud, but I think he's actually forgotten the lyric is "Je m'appelle Wilde" and thus that the song is actually about Oscar Wilde <g>

And I was happy to have these as well:
Spiderman Turn Off the Dark
M83 Hurry Up We're Dreaming (loved the live clip they did of Midnight City for Carson Daly)
Ryan Adams Ashes & Fire
Radiohead The King of Limbs
Gregg Allman Low Country Blues
Degeneration Street by The Dears
Dynamite Steps by Twilight Singers
PJ Harvey Let England Shake
I Break Horses Hearts (Edge is bang on there, an album that easily grabs and holds me)

Glastonbury 2011 had a fantastic line-up and I know after watching the US coverage on Palladia I picked up the releases by Friendly Fires, Pendulum (they were better live), and Robyn.

And I picked up a lot of stuff I'm encouraged by but didn't get to spend any significant time with (and hopefully that changes soon):

Black Keys, Avril Lavigne, Jill Scott, Fleet Foxes, Florence and the Machine, Emmylou Harris, Robbie Robertson, Duran Duran, Bjork, Big Bud, and Moby

• Subscriber

"I have been your guilty pleasure, I've been your lack of restraint"

Well, I guess following B&E's year-end wrap up, I toss out my thoughts on 2011, which is kinda weird, both because my sense of the  year is wobbly (heck I spent two months straight of it asleep and unable to hear), and because distribution of music keeps getting  funkier. The latter's problematic for me as I'm more "a find it in the record store or by live exposure" person, and stopped listening to radio decades ago. So, thanks to things came out in 2010 and I never got my hands on a copy until 2011, there are these:

Disappear Here by Hybrid

Where did the night fall by UNKLE

The Morning After the Night Before by James

Im New Here by Gil Scott Heron

Wide Awake in Europe

- five 2010s and easily the discs I listened to the most in 2011.

and in the fuzzy 2011/2012 category of albums that were on i-Tunes in 2011 but not on CD until 2012, or have been out in the UK for months and aren't out here yet I'd put these as ones I like:

A Collection by Underworld

1992-2012 by Underworld  (finally full length Minneapolis on CD)

Fallen Empires by Snow Patrol

An Appointment with Mr. Yeats by Waterboys

and turning to actual 2011 releases, there was the only reissue that mattered - the AB 20th anniversary reissue

'Course there was also Gavin's album (Catholic guilty pleasure that it is), and from his pick for Q's artist of the past 20 years, 2 from Kate Bush - 50 words for snow (love the duet with Elton John) and the semi-reissue The Director's Cut

Along the line of Kate's piano work, there was also the piano demos from This is the Sea: In a Special Place by the Waterboys, which had one of my favourite songs of the year with "Paris in the Rain." In the liner notes Mike Scott claimed it's about Rimbaud, but I think he's actually forgotten the lyric is "Je m'appelle Wilde" and thus that the song is actually about Oscar Wilde <g>

And I was happy to have these as well:

Spiderman Turn Off the Dark

M83 Hurry Up We're Dreaming (loved the live clip they did of Midnight City for Carson Daly)

Ryan Adams Ashes & Fire

Radiohead The King of Limbs

Gregg Allman Low Country Blues

Degeneration Street by The Dears

Dynamite Steps by Twilight Singers

PJ Harvey Let England Shake

I Break Horses Hearts (Edge is bang on there, an album that easily grabs and holds me)

Glastonbury 2011 had a fantastic line-up and I know after watching the US coverage on Palladia I picked up the releases by Friendly Fires, Pendulum (they were better live), and Robyn.

And I picked up a lot of stuff I'm encouraged by but didn't get to spend any significant time with (and hopefully that changes soon):

Black Keys, Avril Lavigne, Jill Scott, Fleet Foxes, Florence and the Machine, Emmylou Harris, Robbie Robertson, Duran Duran, Bjork, Big Bud, and Moby

I agree, other parts of the Glasto line-up were awesome (I've seen Pendulum at Wembley Arena, so I know how much they can rip up a stage). I've been converted to Florence, plus Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (am I the only one who thinks it's better than ANYTHING he did in Oasis?) and The Horrors.

• Subscriber

<<I agree, other parts of the Glasto line-up were awesome (I've seen Pendulum at Wembley Arena, so I know how much they can rip up a stage). I've been converted to Florence, plus Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (am I the only one who thinks it's better than ANYTHING he did in Oasis?) and The Horrors.>>

Was he (Noel) solo at Glastonbury? I know I liked whatever set he did there. And was that cheeky Artic Monkey / Dame Shirley Bassey exchange Glasto too? That was kinda fun. Palladia only has five hours of coverage which seemed to be delayed by the full(?) broadcast of the coldplay set here, which was annoying.

Oh well, at least CTV On Demand here has Loreley 83 until mid february, all sleeveless vests, early mullet Bono, and pointy high collared Edge <g>

• Subscriber

<<I agree, other parts of the Glasto line-up were awesome (I've seen Pendulum at Wembley Arena, so I know how much they can rip up a stage). I've been converted to Florence, plus Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (am I the only one who thinks it's better than ANYTHING he did in Oasis?) and The Horrors.>>

Was he (Noel) solo at Glastonbury? I know I liked whatever set he did there. And was that cheeky Artic Monkey / Dame Shirley Bassey exchange Glasto too? That was kinda fun. Palladia only has five hours of coverage which seemed to be delayed by the full(?) broadcast of the coldplay set here, which was annoying.

Oh well, at least CTV On Demand here has Loreley 83 until mid february, all sleeveless vests, early mullet Bono, and pointy high collared Edge <g>

I don't think Noel was at Glastonbury. And as for Arctic Monkeys, I saw them at the O2 London in October, and that was the show where they really took a step up as a live act.

• Subscriber

<<Good choice James, except you reversed the order in which Tim and co released the EPs. >>

Actually, that's another US/UK difference. No EPs here, just a single package 2cd release named as I noted and with a bonus track as a free download ("Mother's a Clown").

<<I don't think Noel was at Glastonbury.>>

I don't know - just know I caught him during a TV festival binge <g>