Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree?

[quote name='agt wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

agt']

Defo! I emptied my iPod a few weeks ago and only put U2's 12 studio albums back on it. And since then on my way to work all I've listen to is U2.

I find myself listening to those 3 more than any others. It's given me a chance to get back to U2 basics and see where the magic really is.

Another I've done a lot of listening to is No Line On The Horizon which is just getting better and better for me.

Listening to The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum and even though there is a lot of great classic tracks on both, they feel a million miles away from U2! Now when I listen to the tracks in Live recordings, it's kinder like the songs transend the style of those 2 albums, which is a reverlation to me as The Joshua Tree was my turning point in my U2 path.

Maybe I feel the fun they were having in the 90's makes them the U2 I love, who know's
cool02.gif
Oh aye!

The 90's for me and U2 really was when i went into real overdose of U2. From Achtung to Pop and both the tours it just seemed to me that U2 fitted into the era just fine, even if they didn't think POP filled the void their die hard fans were moaning at. Because i discovered dance culture too, clubs and substances, U2 joining forces with DJ's and having their material remixed really was like another side to U2 which i had not seen in the 80's. All i saw in the 80's was a bunch of hairdoo's, cowboys and indians singing stadium rock. Although i learnt to love the U2 from the 80's, i still think from 1983 Red Rocks up to Popmart 1998, was their growth, to their peek in both songwriting and touring life.

But the 90's is my favorite U2 era. They looked great too. Not too young, nor too old to be a really fucking cool and good band. And Bono was more cooler too and not too much playing Jesus by saving the world most of the time.

Aye, there Image in the 90's was awesome and far removed from the dusty wild west look.

Also know what you mean about the early period, I love the kill the punk feel. On revisiting October there's actually a lot more there than people choose to here.

My least listen to albums are what some people consider to be there best, The Joshua Tree, All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Even though these albums do have some amazing track I'm just not pulled in by them as I'am with the 90's stuff.

The Achtung Baby tracks and Stay at Glastonbury just blew my head off!!!

...if only they played the whole album live at Glasto! From start to finish....that would have been amazing!

All That You Can't blah blah blah and How To Dismantle and blah blah blah i would say are two average albums that they made to make America love them again. That is how i will always see those albums. Apart from a few classics from those two albums, most of it was FILLER and no KILLER...and when Bono decided that he wanted to save Africa and forgot his dayjob of being a singer was when he started to get a little uncool again.

No Line was a glimmer of hope that U2 still can write a classic album, just a shame their public and the general public didn't grasp their vision and still flocked to their tour in hope of a greatest hits setlist,,,,which they finally got towards the latter end of the tour....laugh.gif

90's for me everytime though...if only we could have missed out the 2000 to 2007 era eh! roll.gif
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't do it. No way. So different, yet each so perfect! Ahhhhh...LOVE!!!

And the B man in both periods - OMG!!!!!! Die!

Yeah. I like the Bono of the Joshua Tree tour and Zoo tv era. One is a reaction to the other. But i feel that Bono in the Joshua Tree era, his anger and passion was very heartfelt. In Rattle and Hum he does show a very dark side to his onstage antics. His speeches seem more off cue, his voice was coming towards a peek, he put his life on the line and was discovering how to be a frontman.

The Zoo TV era, his reaction was to play to the media. His actor stage presence was basically what he used to do when the band were starting out. He used to play different characters to the songs. Songs like The Fool he would play a character. Hence how he was in a gang where people had different nicknames, and would perform together with art act The Virgin Prunes. They all had nicknames and Zoo TV is basically the grand scale of this street gang. So it is interesting that i feel Zoo TV we get to see inside the real U2, inside their vivid minds. Where as The Joshua Tree, the intense Bono, maybe was something inwhich we see as powerful, but it was not the Bono he wanted to be. It is well documented too.

You dig???
  • Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

mdmomof7']Can't do it. No way. So different, yet each so perfect! Ahhhhh...LOVE!!!

And the B man in both periods - OMG!!!!!! Die!

Yeah. I like the Bono of the Joshua Tree tour and Zoo tv era. One is a reaction to the other. But i feel that Bono in the Joshua Tree era, his anger and passion was very heartfelt. In Rattle and Hum he does show a very dark side to his onstage antics. His speeches seem more off cue, his voice was coming towards a peek, he put his life on the line and was discovering how to be a frontman.

The Zoo TV era, his reaction was to play to the media. His actor stage presence was basically what he used to do when the band were starting out. He used to play different characters to the songs. Songs like The Fool he would play a character. Hence how he was in a gang where people had different nicknames, and would perform together with art act The Virgin Prunes. They all had nicknames and Zoo TV is basically the grand scale of this street gang. So it is interesting that i feel Zoo TV we get to see inside the real U2, inside their vivid minds. Where as The Joshua Tree, the intense Bono, maybe was something inwhich we see as powerful, but it was not the Bono he wanted to be. It is well documented too.

You dig???
I need the source material, please. Unless you mean the fallout from Rattle & Hum? I am a newly obsessed U2er, so I've only read Bono in Conversation, and 2/3 of U2 by U2. Point me in the right direction. I'd be sad if he didn't want to be that Bono, because he was and I loved it. He was a babe in the world making his way in the high stakes arena that most of us will never know. Then he became the other Bono and I loved that as well. 
  • Subscriber

The Joshua Tree for me, but I expect Achtung Baby will win the vote off, as it's a younger generation thing ;0)

roll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifvoted for The Joshua Tree Too ... AB is close ...

POP NLOH B/O/W UF .....

• Subscriber

The Joshua Tree for me, but I expect Achtung Baby will win the vote off, as it's a younger generation thing ;0)

roll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifvoted for The Joshua Tree Too ... AB is close ...

POP NLOH B/O/W UF .....

• 2 weeks later...