FIRST VISIT TO DUBLIN

frankedge

• Subscriber

I am taking my first trip to Dublin next week. Could anybody help me with the best  places to visit U2 related and non U2 related .The best bars to visit and so on . I am only there for 1 day and 1 night so havent got much time so any help would be appreciated .....wink.gif

I am taking my first trip to Dublin next week. Could anybody help me with the best  places to visit U2 related and non U2 related .The best bars to visit and so on . I am only there for 1 day and 1 night so havent got much time so any help would be appreciated .....wink.gif

When you in Dublin ??

I can gather up a few places you should (try) see - I'll have a think about it (something else to do just now) and get right back to you !!!

U2 Places To visit when here -

Dandelion (opposite Stephens Green) Site of Early U2 gigs started here (plaque on wall commerating)
Hannover Quay / HQ  (Studio)
Principal Management offices (Near HQ Along River liffey) (You can't go in, But you can see various awards won by U2 up at window) 
Windmill lane (Near HQ) Just a short walk from Principal,
Grand Canal Docks (many U2 photos done here) just up from HQ
Sandymount Strand (Site of Poolbeg / Two red & white chimneys - seen in many U2 photos)
Merchants Arch (at Ha'Penny Bridge - early U2 photos done here)
Leeson St/ Fitzwilliam Sq (Sweetest thing video shoot)
Clarence Hotel (Wellington Quay)
Kilmainham Gaol (U2 Video A Celebration shot here)
Claddagh Records - (Temple Bar - formerly STS studios)

I could go on...and on... 

• Community Moderator

U2 Places To visit when here -

Dandelion (opposite Stephens Green) Site of Early U2 gigs started here (plaque on wall commerating)
Principal Management offices (Near HQ Along River liffey) (You can't go in, But you can see various awards won by U2 up at window) 
Sandymount Strand (Site of Poolbeg / Two red & white chimneys - seen in many U2 photos)

One question and one comment.

Question:  Is Rhythm Records still open?  Last time I was there I think they said they might have to close the store. frown.gif

Comment:  I thoroughly enjoyed going to Kilmainham Gaol.  Actually went there on Easter Sunday in '08, not realizing that we had planned it that way.  But wow, the emotion on that day.  Would also like to point out that not only was it used in "A Celebration" but also the movie, "In The Name Of The Father".

• Subscriber

I visited Kilmainham Gaol last year and it really is an unbelievable experience. I recommend going there even if there wasn't a U2 connection.

Also, if you are interested in seeing memorabilia, the Hard Rock Cafe has some stuff plus a trabant hanging from the ceiling.

The Clarence is a lovely place. Even if you just stop for drinks, check it out! There's so much to see! Good luck fitting it all in and have fun!

[quote name='mich40 wrote:

gary-paul']U2 Places To visit when here -

One question and one comment.

Question:  Is Rhythm Records still open?  Last time I was there I think they said they might have to close the store. frown.gif

Comment:  I thoroughly enjoyed going to Kilmainham Gaol.  Actually went there on Easter Sunday in '08, not realizing that we had planned it that way.  But wow, the emotion on that day.  Would also like to point out that not only was it used in "A Celebration" but also the movie, "In The Name Of The Father".

Sadly Rhythm Records isn't there anymore closed some time back, BUT, In Merchants Arch (before Ha'Penny bridge they have a 'little' shop and on Sat / Sun in Temple Bar square they have a stall with some U2 stuff too (But not as much as they had in Rhythm... (And Yeah, In the name of the father was shot there too -  And Michael Collins )