MacFoley

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

AN INTERVIEW WITH EMLYN FOLEY (KRANK)

Posted by: Jack Eaton Posted date: November 04, 2012 In: Interviews And Features, Music | comment : 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

A while back I reviewed a few tracks from a group called Krank, who make stoner rock music. Some months later, this is an interview with vocalist Emlyn Foley about their choice of genre and future plans, enjoy!

HUNOW: You’ve dubbed your own music as ‘stoner rock’, what would you say makes your music fall under this genre?

Foley: When Krank first started back at Easter 2012, it was I who watched a film about stoner rock. It was this film that I used as a starting point to the next thing I wanted to do in terms of being creative. When I contacted Tony Toller and mentioned I wanted to do something stoner rock he was really up for the idea. So it was a starting point more than anything, and using other stoner rock artists to influence us into writing our own material.

The genre stoner rock is a subgenre with elements of heavy metal, psychedelic rock, blues, desert rock, acid rock and doom metal. Krank also contains melodic melodies and heavy bottom end guitar sounds which I would say makes Krank fit into this genre.

HUNOW: Do you find there to be any drawbacks to labelling your music as stoner rock or do you find you just appeal well to a very specific audience?

Foley: Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath were two bands influenced by the Mississippi blues sound. These two bands influenced a lot of American rock bands, and they put their own twist to the sound. From that came grunge, sludge and stoner rock. Bands like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Kyuss took their sounds to other places.

If Krank were to ever reach any of what those artists reached in terms of leaving a stamp in the music world, I personally don’t think there would be any drawbacks at all.

HUNOW: The content of your most recent song is about Medusa. Are you going to continue a mythological theme or was that a one off?

Foley: Although the lyrics of the song do tell the story of Perseus and his battle against the Gorgon Medusa, the subject matter of the song is a bit deeper than that. The subject matter is more about confidence, about looking somebody in the eye and not shying away and positive thinking, which is a message in other Krank songs. Rather than write about negative subject matter like conspiracies, wars, and religion, I would rather focus on the positives of life. Songs are about telling people a story, taking them on a journey, but with deeper thoughts.

I personally don’t know if I will use a mythological theme again, I haven’t ruled it out, but it is that one line “Look into my eyes and turn me into stone, bring me shyness I don’t own it anymoreâ€, that you can hear what I am really going on about.

• Subscriber

HUNOW: How do you find inspiration to make music and put in all of the hours required to do so?

Foley: Tony and I both work as musicians through the week so it is difficult to get Krank time in, but we make it a habit to write music together once a week and construct our art and get things moving. It does sometimes take a while, writing and recording, but we are doing it.

Sometimes I write certain riffs and melody lines in my head when I am in bed and there are no distractions around. I’ve always thought you can hear things in your head more clearly when the lights are out and there is no sound. It sounds crazy, but a few Krank ideas have come from this technique. Then I’ll tell Tony or play him what I heard and we can work from those ideas. Before we write a certain song too, we both sit down and listen to certain bands to get the ball rolling for inspiration. Then we put our twist on things and all of a sudden you have mind blowing sounds. We both influence each other too with ideas and sounds.

HUNOW: Are you a political group? By labelling your music as stoner rock it seems you imply a particular stance on the use of certain drugs?

Foley: If an artist writes dance or electronic music, I would think it would be unfair to say that person implies a particular stance on pills. If an artist writes heavy metal music, I would think it would be unfair to say that they drink lots of alcohol and likes to party the high life. If an artist writes pop music, I would also think it would be unfair to say that they are the clean living, heart breaking boy/girl who lives next door. So to say Krank implies a stance on the use of certain drugs is unfair too. It is all about the music. If people want to connect us with a certain movement, I haven’t got a problem with it. That is out of our control.

There are a few political themes in the lyrics. Songs like Cosmic Man and Planet Krank are two of them. Both deal with human issues and countries that are in trouble with leaders and dictatorship. But I would not say we are part of any political group. Free love and sending out a positive message is what we are about, rather than singing about the troubles of the world at full tilt.

• Subscriber

HUNOW: What do you hope to achieve through your music?

Foley: To have fun is the main thing. We are not that concerned about becoming stadium fodder or winning awards for our art. We just have a good time and write some music in which we can look back on and it will put a smile on our faces. For people around the world to listen to what is on our minds and for it to make them smile too. As for a friendship thing with Tony, to bring us closer together with our art. This is what we hope to achieve through our music, and I think we are doing that very well at the moment, and I could not be happier.

HUNOW: Would you ever consider a national tour?

Foley: Certainly. This is something which both of us haven’t done and I think the experience, with stories to tell would be all good ones. Even if it was a supporting slot on a national tour I would consider it. Since putting out our music, there have been questions of when are we going to be playing live from Krankers all across Europe and the UK. So if there are any touring bands reading this, give us a call!

HUNOW: Do you enjoy being independent musicians or would you welcome the backing of a record label at all?

Foley: Record labels, sharks, money, rules? Doesn’t sound like fun to me!

What I like about Krank is that we have the freedom to create music and make it sound like how we want it to sound. We are in charge of what goes on and we like it that way. There was one situation I was in once, when I was in an old band and an A&R man came to see one of our gigs. At the end he told me he would be quite happy to give me a deal, provided I ditched the other two. It simply didn’t make sense to me.

HUNOW: Are you multi-instrumentals or do you use a lot of digital samples in your music?

Foley: I sing and play guitar, bass, drums, piano and keyboards. Tony plays guitars, bass and drums. We both write riffs and melody lines and together we construct the drums. So we are multi-instrumentalists. The first riff that you hear on Earth Mother came from me, yet the vocal melody of Cosmic Man came from Tony. We both chip in with ideas.

There are hardly any digital samples in our music, apart from the drums. Everything we record is done by ourselves.

HUNOW: For the readers of holdupnow, could you offer any advice that you think is critical for either making music of promoting yourselves as artists?

Foley: Keep writing for one. Sometimes it takes a good few songs to find your identity. Also to keep your songs sounding different, write the next song as a reaction to the one you have written before. Keep believing. Make sure the song has a great production too before you release it. If you have the chance to rework any mistakes, do it.

Once the song is complete, get it out there. The internet is a fantastic thing and you should use it. Are you going to send a cd to Australia for people to listen to or would you prefer to get the song out online so someone from Australia can listen to it with a click of a button. You material won’t be going anywhere unless you send it out yourself on its own little adventure!