Why?

Kroonrog

I've been a U2 fan since the early 80-ties. U2 was new, raw, rebellious. Off course they were very young, so was I. Bands develop, styles develop, theworld develops.

But still considering all this, I don not understand why U2 released No line....

All that you can't leave behind was already a seriously uninspired record, but U2 seemed to recover on Atomic Bomb. I have to be very harsh and classify NoLine as superflouous. It does not add anything. In fact it sounds like a record from a band that is desperately trying to sound like U2 but is failing in theeffort. For some reason I had to make an effort actually getting through te record.

You could have gone on tour without releasing this collection of songs that actually lack a line, on the horizon or otherwise.

Still my question. Why did you release this record? Are the marketing people getting the upper hand at last? You could have sold out the 360 tour without Noline. I would have come and so would all of your true fans.

I will come to the concert but at the same time I am afraid to be sucked into a Rolling Stones-like never ending final tour scheme driven by sponsors andmarketeers. Please do not do that to us...

These are honest questions from a long time fan. Agree or disagree but never forget: your best friends should be your harshest critics.

• Subscriber

i dont think they would take notice of you. they seem happy with the album, thousands of fans seems over the moon (me included) with the new album, and yourfirst line "ive been a fan since the early 80'" does not justify an album you deserve.

at the end of the day they are making new music, be grateful, enjoy it or simply bugger off and enjoy the tour.

Why do people come here just to make one post throwing a hissy fit and then disappear without even having the common courtesy of answering the replies theygot?

I can't even decide which is more annoying: the possibility that they came here exactly to do that or if they just didn't like that people aren'tagreeing with them and chickened out of the whole forum...

So ok in your opinion NLOTH is bad.... what I don't understand is: why are you even going to the concerts then? You know, there's a very highpossibility they'll play a lot of songs from the new album and you just won't enjoy it. So please, stay home, so me and other fans who love this albumcan have higher chances of getting tickets and enjoying the show. Why forcing something on yourself which is clearly not for your tastes?

• Subscriber

MullenArianne wrote:

So ok in your opinion NLOTH is bad.... what I don't understand is: why are you even going to the concerts then? You know, there's a very high possibility they'll play a lot of songs from the new album and you just won't enjoy it. So please, stay home, so me and other fans who love this album can have higher chances of getting tickets and enjoying the show. Why forcing something on yourself which is clearly not for your tastes?

too true. yeah infact dont bother going to the next tour, save your money and give a fan who deserves to go a chance!

I was under the impression that forums are also ment for differing opinions. The basic content of the replies so far has been: "Piss off, because we aregrateful to get a new record at all and if you are not, why bother us?".

I published my opinion because I was genuinely baffled after I heard NLOTH. I have listened to it again several times since then and my bafflement has onlygrown. I do not think that being a fan means I have to like everything thrown at me and I just do not like this CD. After listening to it several times thereis still no single song that I can remember separately or even hum or something.

I actually feared I went off U2 in general at which point you guys would all have been right. So I went and put on some of my favourite CD's. I am sorry,but there is no comparison. The first few are raw, passionate, rough at the edges. From Wide awake, the sound developes into intense, dreamlike, haunting. Asopposed to a lot of people I liked Achtung baby from the start. U2 reinvented itself, it discovered a new kind of bombast, modernity.

On All that you... I hear them struggling, but despite this it contains some brilliant songs but also some really bad ones like Stuck in a Moment. As I said: Ireally enjoyed Atomic bomb.

But this one... Where Boy was a Ford Mustang, The Joshua Tree was a Mercedes SL, NLOTH is a Hyundai I30. As far as I am concerned it should have been called"Elevator". I have experienced that U2 are brillaint in every sense. This record does not live up to that standard, sorry. Gratefulness for releasingit at all does not make up for that.

p.s. the Amsterdam concerts were sold out in 10 minutes and I did not get through. I am afraid I am going to have to take the spot of a genuine fan in one ofthe neighbouring countries.

Of course you are entitled to your opinions but people on these forums close ranks as soon as you mention something negative about U2. If you want a moreunbiased discussion then I would do it on the Interference forums rather than on here.

As for NLOTH I think it is average at best which I why I think we will only get about 5 or 6 of these songs played live each night on this tour which leavesthem enough room for about 12 tried and trusted classic live songs and a further 4 or 5 songs each night from a list of about a dozen that are rotated eachnight depending on how the band feel.

Have a great time wherever you manage to see them as being a U2 fan is not all about the new material whether good, bad or indifferent, perhaps some people onhere need to realise this and cut others some slack

RE;Kroonrog,

Think of how U2 has evolved over time.....they searched for the blues and r/b folk in RATTLE'NHUM......tried to be yeswe'll a POP BAND in POP......changed courses several times, and when I first heard NLOTH....I was what? where is the harder/ rock/edge to it ...but after a few weeks and it is clear they are again pushing their limits and some songs on it work others may not , but to dismiss the whole c/d..WHY?..and you saidyou listened ''SEVERAL TIMES'' ....I even said ????????? after several times.. now can't stop.listening...this is more bass/drum drivenoverall but way better than say-POP- also they may put out 2nd c/d maybe you'll like that one.....try to play it on shuffle...let it rip..you may changeyou mind.....I've been with them almost 30 years....good/bad whatever U2 ROCKS!

• Subscriber

Kroonrog wrote:

But this one... Where Boy was a Ford Mustang, The Joshua Tree was a Mercedes SL, NLOTH is a Hyundai I30. As far as I am concerned it should have been called "Elevator". I have experienced that U2 are brillaint in every sense. This record does not live up to that standard, sorry. Gratefulness for releasing it at all does not make up for that.

I think you're wrong.

NLOTH is the Ferrari Enzo of albums. Streamlined, powerful , impassioned and great on the open road.

pimp.gif