Who likes Get On Your Boots like me ?

Mericege

BonosBeagle wrote:

It does all of the things that a radio single is supposed to do.

You mean like promote the new album? All it achieved was to scare away any potential new U2 fans and worry the pants of the rest of us - whydidn't they choose Magnificent? Thankfully the rest of the album is excellent. (possible exception of Stand Up Comedy).

I know what you mean though - although I hate that U2 write songs for radio.

I wouldn't argue this as much but 90% of fans and critics seem to agree. I'm sure even the band would admit that Boots is just a Vertigo clone, and alame one at that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I like it enough. Don't think it's brilliant. A while back my friend saw the video, turned to me and said: "Is that Bono making cracks inthe glass ceiling? Does that mean he's chosen US as his new cause?" (she's always been into this girlpower thing and not a U2 fan). Since then itmakes me giggle when I hear it.

Have to say I thought the video was pretty spectacular.

"women are the future, all the big revelations" - what's he referring to here?

Boots has grown on me. I've found myself unconsciously humming it to myself. Similarities to Vertigo are pronounced, though the melody's an interestingdeparture (I'm hearing harmonic minor notes in it, atypical Bono fare). Had this song not been released as the first single, perhaps the reaction wouldhave been different.

The impulse to release straight-ahead, up-tempo rock-radio friendly singles seems too strong for the team to suppress. I think it would've been far moregrand a statement to have gone with Breathe or Magnificent or No Line as the first single. Were I a betting man, I'd put money on Moment being the secondrelease. I don't listen to the radio though... have they released another single?

you make a couple of good points...

one of reasons i hate it so much is because it was first single and it's not fit to represent a great album - it would have fitted better on last album -but now it sticks out right in middle of the album.

i think it's already confirmed that magnificent will be next single. having said that, i don't see how singles and radio are relevant to anyone anymoreexcept 14yr olds. we were always going to buy the album regardless - if anything boots put a lot of people off buying it.

i'm surprised so few people on here seem to get what i'm saying - maybe it's the difference between England and the US. Maybe we're snobs Idunno!

Young people here think U2 are a bunch of cranks because all they hear on radio is Boots, Elevation and Vertigo etc -U2 trying to be hip and failing.

Hopefully Magnificent will help redress he balance and get U2 some new fans - they'd be far better off re-releasing Electric Co. or I Will Follow if theywant to get younger fans.

Well, here in Brazil de first impressions about Boots was very good, mainly cos the incredible drums and bass in the music and cos the expectative for a new U2song. After, with no one explanation, the same peoples who like it in the begin, start to don't like it. Boots is not my favorit song of No Line, but toonot the less that i like. For me is a great song, of the same kind of Elevation and Vertigo but better than boths. A song to make a earthquake around thestadium when it be played in the shows. Maybe the peoples still don't understand about what Boots say. In a first time some friends of mine said:"What shit!!! This look like Britney Spears!!!" . But is very good lyric. With too much referencie about our times, like submarine (ocident/USA) andgasoline (orient/Iraq).

Failing to be hip?? are you freaking serious??? You are not a fan sir..everything is hip about the Edge's guitar rift in Boots. Cooler and better thenVertigo. I compare the song to "The Fly". Everyone hated that single after the Joshua Tree. The Boys got nothing but backlash for this new sound,and then it turned out that Achtung was their best album. The Fly remains my favorite song on that album, and I love it live! Bring on Boots Baby!! Coolestsong on the new album by far. U2 is about diversity....they Rock (Boots)...they have soul (Moment of Surrender)..and they groove (Maginficent). This is whatI love about U2. This is what makes the new album so great. Do you bash them for "The Fly"???

"What shit!!! This look like Britney Spears!!!"

That's what my friends said too!!! (including U2 fans)

So we're saying there's a message to the seemingly confused and whacked-out lyrics. I can accept that - Bono is smart and at least he (if only he)knows what he's singing about.

Bono has intelligent and informed opinions about global issues - I just think it comes across VERY badly when he tries to use an "up-temporadio-friendly" single to get his ideas across. The people who listen to radio (in the Uk thats 12-18 yr olds mostly) are left thinking "what is heon about". Beautiful Day was great - a happy uplifting song with happy imagery.

I'm all in favour of mixing music and politics - I just wish the music reflected the subject. For example the tone of Sunday Bloody Sunday was spot-on.It's about sincerity and not trivialising serious subjects into pop songs - I guess I prefer serious U2 to ironic U2, if only because they're better atthe former. I guess I'm overlooking examples of when they do get a serious message across - but Boots is a terrible attempt at doing so.

Maybe I'm going mad but I really hope U2 stop making pop music. Bono is a genius and has far more important messages for us than "candyfloss, icecream".

Scott Montes wrote:

Failing to be hip?? are you freaking serious??? You are not a fan sir..everything is hip about the Edge's guitar rift in Boots. Cooler and better then Vertigo. I compare the song to "The Fly". Everyone hated that single after the Joshua Tree. The Boys got nothing but backlash for this new sound, and then it turned out that Achtung was their best album. The Fly remains my favorite song on that album, and I love it live! Bring on Boots Baby!! Coolest song on the new album by far. U2 is about diversity....they Rock (Boots)...they have soul (Moment of Surrender)..and they groove (Maginficent). This is what I love about U2. This is what makes the new album so great. Do you bash them for "The Fly"???

No, of course I love The Fly and every track on Achtung Baby. I agree with most of what you say, although in terms of a song (not just great bassand drums) Boots is weakest on the album.

"Hip" - I mean being popular with young people, I think that's what they're trying too hard at. To you and me it's hip but the kids wholisten to radio laugh at U2 and it annoys me. So unless you're a U2 fan or over 40 then U2 are very far from being hip - they're above and beyond hip,and better than trying to be.