Who likes Get On Your Boots like me ?

Mericege

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flamenkita wrote:

For me is the best in the album with Stand up Comedy...

How ironic, for me those are easily my 2 least favourite "cheesy" tracks!!! I guess that confirms we're all different.

Boots in my opinion can become the music that has generated more comments and drew more attention in the history of U2. The question is not whether it is goodor not (I think it very good) or if it was the 1st single ideal or not. The function of Boots will also be a good song or a good single. Just as beautiful andsexy assistant of a magician It fulfills its role very well. Diverting our attention to the magic being performed. And that 10 grand and beautiful magics!!!

I've drawn a conclusion about Get On Your Boots.

Those of us who have problems with it have made some very valid points about how badly it embarassingly misrepresents U2 to the general public. To be honest,in many ways I wish it had never been made because it spoils the album for me.

I'd really question if a band that's been around over 32 years and has a "mature" audience should be writing songs for radio anymore. (in UKonly kids listen to radio!). I'm not saying they shouldn't rock, just stop trying to be "hip" because they're not - U2 have an imageproblem with young people in UK.

However, it seems like most people here like Boots unquestioningly - and since I've always said the only people whose opinions about U2 matter are ours, Iguess that makes Boots a success.

It's made me realise that not every U2 fan has the same taste in music - maybe some of us prefer the more mellow and meaningful. I realise I'm soundinglike a boring and miserable old fart. I'm 26.

So I'm hereby reluctantly withdrawing my one-man crusade to have No Line On The Horizon remade without Boots!

I'm also giving up the crusade against Black Eyed Peas, since they're not playing UK shows anyway thank goodness.

ONE01 wrote:

I've drawn a conclusion about Get On Your Boots.

Those of us who have problems with it have made some very valid points about how badly it embarassingly misrepresents U2 to the general public. To be honest, in many ways I wish it had never been made because it spoils the album for me.

I'd really question if a band that's been around over 32 years and has a "mature" audience should be writing songs for radio anymore. (in UK only kids listen to radio!). I'm not saying they shouldn't rock, just stop trying to be "hip" because they're not - U2 have an image problem with young people in UK.

However, it seems like most people here like Boots unquestioningly - and since I've always said the only people whose opinions about U2 matter are ours, I guess that makes Boots a success.

It's made me realise that not every U2 fan has the same taste in music - maybe some of us prefer the more mellow and meaningful. I realise I'm sounding like a boring and miserable old fart. I'm 26.

So I'm hereby reluctantly withdrawing my one-man crusade to have No Line On The Horizon remade without Boots!

I'm also giving up the crusade against Black Eyed Peas, since they're not playing UK shows anyway thank goodness.

Your not alone. Boots is easily the weakest song on the album and you are absoloutly right about everything you said reffering to this song. "Radio is theenemy of U2 creativity". I couldn't agree more. The first time i heard boots i was shocked. 'This is it" This is thier new song? I wasdissapointed right away. Of course my opinon of thier new material improved vastly after listening to the whole album (on release day,lol). Its easily one ofthier best efforts overall but Boots is just radio play fodder at best. Much like Vertigo and Elevation. Almost all of my favorite U2 songs are B-sides andcuts that never made it to lp's.

Thanks Zoo24, I appreciate it - so I'm not going mad after all!! Thats reassuring. I have to admit it will sound pretty "banging" live though!

I think the problem is that they have such a widespread appeal - so they're trying to keep things varied to please everyone - trying to be all things toall men, rather than just you and me. Shame really!

Btw, I do agree with you regarding copyright and downloading issues!

I'm interested what you thought of Mercy being cut from HTDAAB? People say it's "unfinished" but I'd say it's just rough around theedges - which I love! Which B-sides are your favourites?

Thanks again!

ONE01 wrote:

Thanks Zoo24, I appreciate it - so I'm not going mad after all!! Thats reassuring. I have to admit it will sound pretty "banging" live though!

Btw, I agree with you regarding copyright and downloading issues!

I'm interested what you thought of Mercy being cut from HTDAAB? People say it's "unfinished" but I'd say it's just rough around the edges - which I love! Which B-sides are your favourites?

Thanks again!

Cutting Mercy was a mistake,in my humble opinion it would have complimented the album hugely. Unfinished? Hardly. Rough around the edges ,maybe. Agreat track none the less.

Fav B-sides

North and south of the river,neon lights,if god will send (grand jury mix),salome,are you gonna wait forever?, your blue room, to name just a few. I havealways been confused as to why many of these songs didn't make it to lps and in turn the radio. North and South of the river has huge appeal. Anyone i haveintroduced that song to has loved it. I think it would have been a huge hit for them. But hey that's why thier the musicians and we're just fans.

I figured we saw eye to eye on downloading, my thief comment was over the top. It just seems like huge balls to me to come on this website and questionthe difference between the offical album and the version you stole. lol

As an outsider (from Canada) i would agree also that Brits hate queing/lining up. I have watched many british tv programs and you do seem to complian about itquite a bit. on that note.......

Top Gear is the best show on televison in any country worldwide, Bottom line.

Hitler and the nazis introduced tv and America may have populirized it but the Brits perfected it. One great example is a program i saw on the BBC called"the great global warming swindle" A show that would have been waaaaaay to controversial for american tv. I also love the never ending documentarysabout WWII. Keep it up.

I'm not sure you'll see eye to eye with my most recent post in that thread! What can I say, I was provoked...

I love the piano version of North and South of The River from an Omagh bombing tribute TV show, you know what I'm on about?

I'm disappointed that Mercy never even made it as a B-Side, unlikely it will appear on Songs of Ascent I guess.

It's strange that tracks like Your Blue Room get neglected, especially with Adam's amazing vocal performance!

I think their experimental stuff is awesome - you could argue that Unforgettable Fire is VERY experimental compared to what went before it. I'm not surewhy they feel the need to release what I'd call unimaginative singles like Get On Your Boots - guess we already covered that!

Haha yeah I love Top Gear too, many people here want Jeremy Clarkson as Prime Minister. Apolgies to any offence that cretin Gordon Brown has caused the goodfolk of Canada!

I'll do my best to make sure standards of British TV are maintained! Btw, Due South was good!

ONE01 wrote:

I'm not sure you'll see eye to eye with my most recent post in that thread! What can I say, I was provoked...

I love the piano version of North and South of The River from an Omagh bombing tribute TV show, you know what I'm on about?

I'm disappointed that Mercy never even made it as a B-Side, unlikely it will appear on Songs of Ascent I guess.

It's strange that tracks like Your Blue Room get neglected, especially with Adam's amazing vocal performance!

I think their experimental stuff is awesome - you could argue that Unforgettable Fire is VERY experimental compared to what went before it. I'm not sure why they feel the need to release what I'd call unimaginative singles like Get On Your Boots - guess we already covered that!

Haha yeah I love Top Gear too, many people here want Jeremy Clarkson as Prime Minister. Apolgies to any offence that cretin Gordon Brown has caused the good folk of Canada!

I'll do my best to make sure standards of British TV are maintained! Btw, Due South was good!

Thanks for the Due south complimnet. It probably was the best show Canada ever produced. Pretty sad eh? If i see one more re-telling of Anne of Green Gablesi'm gonna lose it.