I agreed to a charity

wahine

For the first time in my life I have decided to a charity. I mean my father had charities and I was always pushing for this one or that one that I thought did good things but I always kept it arms length. I believed in the NKF (National Kidney Foundation) and we did the very first surf contest and now it is the biggest fundraiser for the NKF in the country. Once it was up and going, I just stopped, I was not involved except when they needed sponsors, help at the event etc. And then when my dad died I had to disburse all his campaign account funds WHICH WAS A LOT OF MONEY, and I gave to the ones he believed in that were doing great things in our communities here. Now...its been almost 10 years, I have not let anyone use my name or my family name for anything except some awards, like Marco Rubio got one long before anyone knew who he was, he was a dear friend of my dads, things that had to do with law enforcement or kids. When Adam Clayton did the Walk in my shoes I was so impressed I donated from here in the USA to it. He made me remember that its not about the money but do what you can to raise awareness. Long story short. Yesterday I picked a charity that I will be involved in and give not only of my time but my influence and ideas. They asked me if I would be on their board of directors and I agreed and I GOT SO MANY PHONE CALLS AND MESSAGES FROM PEOPLE WHO USE TO BE CLOSE WITH MY DAD AND MOM AND OLD FRIENDS OF MINE, FOLKS THAT ARE STILL IN OFFICE, LAWYERS, ACCOUNTANTS, BUSINESS OWNERS, PEOPLE I HAD NO IDEA THAT WOULD CARE. The response I got was all of us were waiting until you would do something like this. My dad was a big supporter of kids and animals and those that had no voice. So I chose a charity that works with disabled children/disadvantaged children and disabled/disadvantage adults and horses. Its a no kill facility. So many horses have been turned loose because of the economy or they are too old for folks to take care of them anymore, so this is where they are put out to pasture and the horses that can the kids can ride them and care for them, etc. I was just shocked when even the top lobbyists (yes I was heavily involved in the political scene in Florida cuz of my dad, he was seriously loved) called me and asked if they could help me. This little farm is in the far north of our county, has no money and of course is in need of legal help and assistance. I had three attorneys step forward and offer their services as well as accountants, business owners, just about everybody. It was quite miraculous especially when they offered to be on the board as well. Even surfers and surf shop owners jumped in. There were 10's of thousands of people that attended as well as lined the funeral procession when my dad died, they just dont make politicians like him anymore, didnt matter if you were republican, democrat, or independent he only cared that you needed help. Both sides of the aisle always worked together. I was reassured at how much he was missed and I am just amazed at how many people contacted me when I picked a charity and let my family and friends know. It spread like wildfire and I am seriously humbled, even folks that I know that don't have two wooded nickles to rub together, they have offered their time and can help fix fences and clean. I wish the farm was closer down here its way in the north of the county but I feel like this is the perfect fit for me. I love horses, and I love kids, and I love the thought of working with challenged kids. I am even hoping the county will help by maybe people who need to complete community service could do it there and help us out. So wish me luck, its a non paying time consuming job, but I feel like I can help and I pray I can and one smile from a child is worth it to me.

• Subscriber

Nice one Wahine - I will be giving free music lessons to parents and kids in my local primary school cos it is in a severely deprived area and teachers just don't have time to teach kids music anymore.  They're singing hymns to a backing track at the moment. So sad that music has been completly shoved out of the curriculum because of all the tests that teachers have to spend their time doing.  They are constanly being assessed and have to meet statistical targets. I couldn't be a teacher in this day and age which is why I am going to be a teaching assistant instead - all of the fun but none of the stress or responsibility.

When I was a kid we were always singing in class so if any Americans fancy a voluntary job in England they are crying out for music co-ordinatorsthumbsup.gif over here.

Nice one Wahine - I will be giving free music lessons to parents and kids in my local primary school cos it is in a severely deprived area and teachers just don't have time to teach kids music anymore.  They're singing hymns to a backing track at the moment. So sad that music has been completly shoved out of the curriculum because of all the tests that teachers have to spend their time doing.  They are constanly being assessed and have to meet statistical targets. I couldn't be a teacher in this day and age which is why I am going to be a teaching assistant instead - all of the fun but none of the stress or responsibility.

When I was a kid we were always singing in class so if any Americans fancy a voluntary job in England they are crying out for music co-ordinatorsthumbsup.gif over here.

That is just wonderful that you are able to do that! Congratulations and you should be very proud, that is quite honorable! Enjoy every moment of it, I found out some scary things as soon as I agreed to my charity, I thought it was outrageously expensive these days in the states but between droughts, disease, fires, etc. the price of hay and supplies have gone through the roof when from when I was younger. One horse is one thing, 20 horses is a whole different ballgame trying to keep them fed. Our cousin owns a breeding farm for quarter horses out in Texas and she has unlimited funds, her father was a philanthropist before he died and she of course inherited and does wonderful work and has her fathers skills in managing money, but this little farm, I just dont know how the funds are going to get raised in this economy. I always believed if there is a will there is a way, and I put things in the Lords hands, but I was straight up SHOCKED AT THE PRICES. I'm hoping some members of my family will start to separate with crops they are growing through the south, that can help substitute. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew, but the thought of the kids (some are blind others extremely autistic, challenged, and its not just kids, its adult too, so I figure they have much bigger hurdles than me) I am going to stick with it. What you are doing is a blessing for your community by giving free lessons. You should be so very proud, I am proud of you!

• 2 months later...