U22 flaws and why it doesn't work completely for the Mac

MacFoley

• Subscriber

Roll back a year and a half ago...What was happening? Duals? What is this? Ok, U2.com was starting to get the ball rolling on the sub gift for the year. Duals. Some of U2 best duets through their journey. As a fan, I felt somewhat being taken for a ride. Songs any U2 fan should already own, on one disk? You got to be kidding me right? Ok I re-subbed for the gift and got that and a new code for the tour, so all in all, ok the CD was a bit of a waste, but hey.....

And low and behold, the forums were in outrage. Fans disgusted that Duals was a mockery to some fans. Some fans fought so hard to get a response from U2.com, not the response some wanted to read, but it was a "like it or lump it" response. But there was plenty of grumpy voices to be heard to make this years gift, Even Better Than The Real Thing......

Ok this is not a "moan" thread, I rarely start one of those, but if you think it will be, I suggest you don't read any further incase you might think I am one of those moaner type fans.....

Ok.....the reaction from U2.com wow.....very good! U22, a CD, voted by "fans". A chance to own some very rare live U2 songs, the list was an epic amount of songs to chose from! I was already thinking in my head "wow, Electrical Storm live! Stingray live! Your Blue Room live......" plus other rare songs and some gems to chose from........

Then we get the final list, ok, I look at the tracklist and think, oh I didn't vote for that, or that, or that, but I voted for that, and that......oh well, at least it blows Duals out of the water......but if I am being honest, it was more like a greatest hits live double CD. 16 out of the 22 tracks were singles for a start. But Zooropa live, The Unforgettable Fire live, the new Even Better Than The Real Thing live are most welcome.

So I get the massive package through the door. Open it, WOW! This is a monster! The photo's are stunning, the book is well put together. Winner on the looks front......then I put the CD on through my system and blast them.....

It starts well, the sound on Even Better is crisp, clean, band sounding tight, then it goes into The Fly. It sounds different in terms of quality to Real Thing. What is this? Until The End Of The World, the version of that isn't very powerful, is this THE best version they could have chose for this gift? Elevation just lost my interest, I found it boring and not very moving like it normally can be. Bad.....what is that horrid synth in the background? Bono sounds on form on Bad, but the synth?

CD 2 does get slightly better for me, but on Zooropa, when the band come in with a BANG! Just sounds wrong. 

And then there is Bono's voice. I find it hard to listen to with the inconstancy of Bono's voice. On some songs he sounds great, on others, he simply doesn't sound as good as what I have heard him sing before on the 360 tour. While the band sound tight on some songs, Bono's voice seems to let certain songs down. Sometimes I do think, it would have been better to have a complete show on CD, this way Bono's voice would have been for that night and that night only. I just think the person or people who chose some versions of those tracks to the greatest 22 hits of the tour should have chosen better, and it should have been mixed better. Some songs don't even blend into other ones properly or smoothly.

Ok this gift still was a great idea to begin with. But it does make you wonder, which fans went to the shows were hardcore U2 fans and were the ones who voted hardcore U2 fans, or was it voted by fans who love the greatest hits and were the same type of fan who mostly voted.

I just see it was a real shame, the final product and it was a great opportunity missed.

Please don't hate me! roll.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roll back a year and a half ago...What was happening? Duals? What is this? Ok, U2.com was starting to get the ball rolling on the sub gift for the year. Duals. Some of U2 best duets through their journey. As a fan, I felt somewhat being taken for a ride. Songs any U2 fan should already own, on one disk? You got to be kidding me right? Ok I re-subbed for the gift and got that and a new code for the tour, so all in all, ok the CD was a bit of a waste, but hey.....

And low and behold, the forums were in outrage. Fans disgusted that Duals was a mockery to some fans. Some fans fought so hard to get a response from U2.com, not the response some wanted to read, but it was a "like it or lump it" response. But there was plenty of grumpy voices to be heard to make this years gift, Even Better Than The Real Thing......

Ok this is not a "moan" thread, I rarely start one of those, but if you think it will be, I suggest you don't read any further incase you might think I am one of those moaner type fans.....

Ok.....the reaction from U2.com wow.....very good! U22, a CD, voted by "fans". A chance to own some very rare live U2 songs, the list was an epic amount of songs to chose from! I was already thinking in my head "wow, Electrical Storm live! Stingray live! Your Blue Room live......" plus other rare songs and some gems to chose from........

Then we get the final list, ok, I look at the tracklist and think, oh I didn't vote for that, or that, or that, but I voted for that, and that......oh well, at least it blows Duals out of the water......but if I am being honest, it was more like a greatest hits live double CD. 16 out of the 22 tracks were singles for a start. But Zooropa live, The Unforgettable Fire live, the new Even Better Than The Real Thing live are most welcome.

So I get the massive package through the door. Open it, WOW! This is a monster! The photo's are stunning, the book is well put together. Winner on the looks front......then I put the CD on through my system and blast them.....

It starts well, the sound on Even Better is crisp, clean, band sounding tight, then it goes into The Fly. It sounds different in terms of quality to Real Thing. What is this? Until The End Of The World, the version of that isn't very powerful, is this THE best version they could have chose for this gift? Elevation just lost my interest, I found it boring and not very moving like it normally can be. Bad.....what is that horrid synth in the background? Bono sounds on form on Bad, but the synth?

CD 2 does get slightly better for me, but on Zooropa, when the band come in with a BANG! Just sounds wrong. 

And then there is Bono's voice. I find it hard to listen to with the inconstancy of Bono's voice. On some songs he sounds great, on others, he simply doesn't sound as good as what I have heard him sing before on the 360 tour. While the band sound tight on some songs, Bono's voice seems to let certain songs down. Sometimes I do think, it would have been better to have a complete show on CD, this way Bono's voice would have been for that night and that night only. I just think the person or people who chose some versions of those tracks to the greatest 22 hits of the tour should have chosen better, and it should have been mixed better. Some songs don't even blend into other ones properly or smoothly.

Ok this gift still was a great idea to begin with. But it does make you wonder, which fans went to the shows were hardcore U2 fans and were the ones who voted hardcore U2 fans, or was it voted by fans who love the greatest hits and were the same type of fan who mostly voted.

I just see it was a real shame, the final product and it was a great opportunity missed.

Please don't hate me! roll.gif

I'll tell you when I get it  wink.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='gary-paul wrote:

MacFoley']Roll back a year and a half ago...What was happening? Duals? What is this? Ok, U2.com was starting to get the ball rolling on the sub gift for the year. Duals. Some of U2 best duets through their journey. As a fan, I felt somewhat being taken for a ride. Songs any U2 fan should already own, on one disk? You got to be kidding me right? Ok I re-subbed for the gift and got that and a new code for the tour, so all in all, ok the CD was a bit of a waste, but hey.....

Please don't hate me! 
roll.gif

I'll tell you when I get it  wink.gif

Still not got it yet???

No - But ever the optimist I hope this week - for the good of my postman, he's getting way WAY too paranoid and may possibly have a restraining order in the pipeline frown.gif

I have a week of post to come so maybe !!!

• Subscriber

No - But ever the optimist I hope this week - for the good of my postman, he's getting way WAY too paranoid and may possibly have a restraining order in the pipeline frown.gif

I have a week of post to come so maybe !!!

Shocking really. Customer service from Live Nation treatment to fans is taking the mick!

• Subscriber

Shup up!......"U22 flaws and why it doesn't work completely for the Mac"....you really need to get over your self 'Mac!'

This is a 'LIVE CD' surely that should explain it a little in regards to how it sounds.

I personally think that everybody involved has done a great job,and obviously put a lot of work in,but quite clearly for totally selfish and self centered people such as yourself this will never be enough!

Excellent job to all involved,I for one really appreciate this and Duels,Slane,Sydney....

Thank You U2.Com and U2.

• Subscriber

Shup up!......"U22 flaws and why it doesn't work completely for the Mac"....you really need to get over your self 'Mac!'

This is a 'LIVE CD' surely that should explain it a little in regards to how it sounds.

I personally think that everybody involved has done a great job,and obviously put a lot of work in,but quite clearly for totally selfish and self centered people such as yourself this will never be enough!

Excellent job to all involved,I for one really appreciate this and Duels,Slane,Sydney....

Thank You U2.Com and U2.

Why don't you read it again. Was I harsh in any way, it is more constructive that saying "oh U2 are shit"

• Subscriber

I don't hate you for this post - I hate you for spoiling Batman!! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

I was only playing with Batman! tongue.gif I haven't seen it yet!

Anyhow, I just think better versions of some of the 22 songs could have been chosen for the amount of times the songs were played.

• Subscriber

Mac, I do agree with your review.

Don't get me wrong the idea for this was brilliant. One of the better fan club items to be sent out... but ... I am a bit disapointed as it could have been better. I don't want to hear tracks I have heard over and over. I voted for the more rare tracks, however I accept that it was a vote and I go along with that also for the sake of democracy. My biggest moan really is the lack of NLOTH tracks after all it was the 360 tour..... 4 out of the first 5 tracks from AB, in total I believe there are 6 AB tracks. Why do we have AIWIY twice ???

It is well produced maybe a little over produced in places. The highlight for me is the book as it is very well done. However I feel that more tracks from NLOTH should have been included, what about that little snip of fez we heard one night and I also agree and think it should have been the whole concert from one venue. Would flow better .........