U22 flaws and why it doesn't work completely for the Mac

MacFoley

• Subscriber

Mac, I do agree with your review.

Don't get me wrong the idea for this was brilliant. One of the better fan club items to be sent out... but ... I am a bit disapointed as it could have been better. I don't want to hear tracks I have heard over and over. I voted for the more rare tracks, however I accept that it was a vote and I go along with that also for the sake of democracy. My biggest moan really is the lack of NLOTH tracks after all it was the 360 tour..... 4 out of the first 5 tracks from AB, in total I believe there are 6 AB tracks. Why do we have AIWIY twice ???

It is well produced maybe a little over produced in places. The highlight for me is the book as it is very well done. However I feel that more tracks from NLOTH should have been included, what about that little snip of fez we heard one night and I also agree and think it should have been the whole concert from one venue. Would flow better .........

Thanks! At least someone agrees with me! laugh.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I agree with you for the most part. The book and packaging looks awesome - pure eye candy. I guess where I'm disappointed is with the inclusion of greatest hits and lack of newer, rarer material. If I only get 22 songs live on this gift, I would have wanted Breathe, No Line, Unknown Caller, Stingray, etc. because who knows when, if ever, we are going to get to hear them live again. I can't even remember the names of those couple songs being road tested . . . . North Star, Every Breaking Wave maybe? Would have loved to have those included. Overall, I like this gift. The production and voice issues are somewhat noticeable, but more so now that you've pointed them out (thanks for that, lol!:)) I guess I expect some issues when songs are live, so that doesn't really bother me. It bothers me that Gary and Pain still don't have their copy . . . sort that out "jive" nation! So, someone help me out and tell me how to get a good live recording of those new road test songs???

• Subscriber

Totally agree with you guys. How in the world did people not vote for I'll Go Crazy, No Line, or Breathe? Awesome songs from U2's best album! And big showpieces on this tour... Did we really need yet another live version of Streets or Elevation!?

• Subscriber

Should've been Elevation live from Moncton (for all the right reasons-The Edge's crazy guitar combined with Larry's dance with the devil, at the end of the song ) and at Moment Of Surrender...They Should have chosen the version in which The Edge uses another effect on his guitar, that happened on the last leg...I really wanted to hear THAT solo...

Thank you so much for caring Janette...STILL nothing....wth.gif
As for the ultra-rare songs...........

• Subscriber

But that's democracy I suppose. When it came to voting by thousands of members (many of which I never see in the blogs/forums) it was due to happen. For a moment I was naive enough to think each one of us would get their personalized choice.

I've pained about this enough, but I feel you Mac. My only ongoing complain is that this site is oblivious to anything the band is doing/planning to do and keeps shoving us in our faces the U22 thing, be it the unwrapping, listening parties of songs we already have or news sections invaded by this subscriber CD.

• Subscriber

I agree with you for the most part. The book and packaging looks awesome - pure eye candy. I guess where I'm disappointed is with the inclusion of greatest hits and lack of newer, rarer material. If I only get 22 songs live on this gift, I would have wanted Breathe, No Line, Unknown Caller, Stingray, etc. because who knows when, if ever, we are going to get to hear them live again. I can't even remember the names of those couple songs being road tested . . . . North Star, Every Breaking Wave maybe? Would have loved to have those included. Overall, I like this gift. The production and voice issues are somewhat noticeable, but more so now that you've pointed them out (thanks for that, lol!:)) I guess I expect some issues when songs are live, so that doesn't really bother me. It bothers me that Gary and Pain still don't have their copy . . . sort that out "jive" nation! So, someone help me out and tell me how to get a good live recording of those new road test songs???

Hey there! I would have loved to have had more No Line songs on the cd's, I really thought have those songs in the set really made 360 for me, as soon as they started putting in Achtung songs, it was a little, eh? Tis cool and that, but maybe they just didn't believe in those songs anymore. Hence why we only got Magnificent (personally I don't even think it is the best song on the album) and Moment Of Surrender (which the version from Wide Awake) is clearly superior to the U22 version. 

What is the deal with us getting Unknown Caller too as a download and it can't be on the cd's? And what is wrong with giving fans the other songs that were not on the cd's? This way we can make our own personal play lists, hours of fun!

Breathe, No Line, Unknown Caller were fantastic live in 2009-2010. I'll Go Crazy was a real highlight of the tour. Sadly these songs will be missed by me on the next tour, and it is a shame that to listen to a good quality version of these songs it is either the 360 tour dvd or the Sheffield UK broadcast that was on radio.

As for your interest on those rare songs.............

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

Janette B']I agree with you for the most part. The book and packaging looks awesome - pure eye candy. I guess where I'm disappointed is with the inclusion of greatest hits and lack of newer, rarer material. If I only get 22 songs live on this gift, I would have wanted Breathe, No Line, Unknown Caller, Stingray, etc. because who knows when, if ever, we are going to get to hear them live again. I can't even remember the names of those couple songs being road tested . . . . North Star, Every Breaking Wave maybe? Would have loved to have those included. Overall, I like this gift. The production and voice issues are somewhat noticeable, but more so now that you've pointed them out (thanks for that, lol!
:)
) I guess I expect some issues when songs are live, so that doesn't really bother me. It bothers me that Gary and Pain still don't have their copy . . . sort that out "jive" nation! So, someone help me out and tell me how to get a good live recording of those new road test songs???

Hey there! I would have loved to have had more No Line songs on the cd's, I really thought have those songs in the set really made 360 for me, as soon as they started putting in Achtung songs, it was a little, eh? Tis cool and that, but maybe they just didn't believe in those songs anymore. Hence why we only got Magnificent (personally I don't even think it is the best song on the album) and Moment Of Surrender (which the version from Wide Awake) is clearly superior to the U22 version. 

What is the deal with us getting Unknown Caller too as a download and it can't be on the cd's? And what is wrong with giving fans the other songs that were not on the cd's? This way we can make our own personal play lists, hours of fun!

Breathe, No Line, Unknown Caller were fantastic live in 2009-2010. I'll Go Crazy was a real highlight of the tour. Sadly these songs will be missed by me on the next tour, and it is a shame that to listen to a good quality version of these songs it is either the 360 tour dvd or the Sheffield UK broadcast that was on radio.

Such a great Point Mac, WHY  we - hard-earned-cash-paying fans - can't get all those 62 (circa) that were up for voting, yes- there are a whole lot of Moment of Surrenders better than the one on the 22, it started when Edge realized what the right effect to use was, Larry's drum-beat is also different, way better on these versions.
As for the rare (including new, gem-stones, pure gold, unpolished diamonds, you name it ) songs - from North Star way to.....(there are quite a lot in between)...Electrical Storm:  .................

• Subscriber

[quote name='pain_18_ wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

Janette B']I agree with you for the most part. The book and packaging looks awesome - pure eye candy. I guess where I'm disappointed is with the inclusion of greatest hits and lack of newer, rarer material. If I only get 22 songs live on this gift, I would have wanted Breathe, No Line, Unknown Caller, Stingray, etc. because who knows when, if ever, we are going to get to hear them live again. I can't even remember the names of those couple songs being road tested . . . . North Star, Every Breaking Wave maybe? Would have loved to have those included. Overall, I like this gift. The production and voice issues are somewhat noticeable, but more so now that you've pointed them out (thanks for that, lol!
:)
) I guess I expect some issues when songs are live, so that doesn't really bother me. It bothers me that Gary and Pain still don't have their copy . . . sort that out "jive" nation! So, someone help me out and tell me how to get a good live recording of those new road test songs???

Such a great Point Mac, WHY  we - hard-earned-cash-paying fans - can't get all those 62 (circa) that were up for voting, yes- there are a whole lot of Moment of Surrenders better than the one on the 22, it started when Edge realized what the right effect to use was, Larry's drum-beat is also different, way better on these versions.
As for the rare (including new, gem-stones, pure gold, unpolished diamonds, you name it ) songs - from North Star way to.....(there are quite a lot in between)...Electrical Storm:  .................

Until The End Of The World was a let down for me. Bono's voice and the way he sang it simply doesn't work. Although he sang a new melody at the end of the song for the last verse, I am all up for that, that was magic, but it was only a verse for the whole song. Was that the best version to chose? I think not...come on as U2 fans, and the amount of times we have heard that song live since 1992, 20 years worth of that song, that is the best version from the 360 tour they could have chosen?

Don't even get me started on the trumpet on I Still Haven't Found...not the most inspirational version on U22 I must admit.