U22 flaws and why it doesn't work completely for the Mac

MacFoley

• Subscriber

Yeah, I also forgot to mention Boots and Crazy. Just seems like the 360 tour became less and less about Horizon and more and more like ABaby re-done, lol. Again, I love AB and loved seeing those songs performed back in the day and do love hearing them today every now and then, but not to the exclusion of newer songs.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

that still havent found is awful,the trumpet player might be an african legend but do we need to hear it ruin the song?

Think i'm right in saying there isn't a song from any of the dublin gigs on it?(only had a quick look at me U22 then it went into hiding with the rest of me collection.)

As for the vote it was 'democratic' but some of the songs that made it do make yer think it was a bit 'stage managed'.

do agree with the idea that we should as subscribers be able to have the songs that didnt make it made available to us or is that next years sub gift?wink.gif

that still havent found is awful,the trumpet player might be an african legend but do we need to hear it ruin the song?

Think i'm right in saying there isn't a song from any of the dublin gigs on it?(only had a quick look at me U22 then it went into hiding with the rest of me collection.)

As for the vote it was 'democratic' but some of the songs that made it do make yer think it was a bit 'stage managed'.

Your first point - I was thinking that alright...Yeah, I gotta agree !!!

Second - REALLY... Not 1 song on it from any Croke Park show ? (Im a little surprised at that) ??

And Lastly - Yeah, I think it was too - they put on what ''they'' wanted to not what they said 'we' voted for ....  

• Community Moderator

Mac, I really appreciate your review. I think you did an excellent job explaining what and why you liked or didn't like something.

I agree about Bono's voice not being as strong on some songs as others and I guess it didn't bother me b/c that's how it's been at my shows I've seen. Some days are better than others. But it does make me wonder who chose the versions they chose and how. And really what was the finally official vote count. I know that there are some that think that there was never really a vote consideration; but based on the posts of people that have come it here with 5 or 6 posts ever, saying they love it as it is, I think there's a lot of people out there that voted for the greatest hits. I don't think the general population put thought into it and thought about the fact that we could have had gems like "Electrical Storm" or "Your Blue Room." I was gutted that "Electrical Storm" and "Unknown Caller" didn't make the cut. Was happy when they added the "Unknown Caller" as a bonus download.

As for no Croke Park, maybe they figured since they had already used Crazy on the Artificial Horizon disc that was enough.

• Subscriber

There was over 80 different songs played over the 3yrs so the chance of having some real great rare live stuff was right there.

Haven't got mine yet so can't comment, but i do like the UV version i heard and EBTTRT is one of the best openers i've seen.

• Subscriber

Mac, I really appreciate your review. I think you did an excellent job explaining what and why you liked or didn't like something.

I agree about Bono's voice not being as strong on some songs as others and I guess it didn't bother me b/c that's how it's been at my shows I've seen. Some days are better than others. But it does make me wonder who chose the versions they chose and how. And really what was the finally official vote count. I know that there are some that think that there was never really a vote consideration; but based on the posts of people that have come it here with 5 or 6 posts ever, saying they love it as it is, I think there's a lot of people out there that voted for the greatest hits. I don't think the general population put thought into it and thought about the fact that we could have had gems like "Electrical Storm" or "Your Blue Room." I was gutted that "Electrical Storm" and "Unknown Caller" didn't make the cut. Was happy when they added the "Unknown Caller" as a bonus download.

As for no Croke Park, maybe they figured since they had already used Crazy on the Artificial Horizon disc that was enough.

Thanks for understanding where I am coming from.

I do like the gift, but I don't love it like I love the Zoo TV gift and the Slane Go Home gifts. They were real highlights of my time here of being a member. As I said the idea for this one was really exciting, really something to get excited about.

For what could have been, just feel I needed to get it off my chest! laugh.gif

Song Selection:

I agree with you on the song selection Mac. It seems like the setlist was already picked. It's just a coincidence that they happen to have those significant versions of the songs picked. For us U2.com subscribers, the voting should've gone on further with which versions of the songs. UTEOTW and ISHFWILF versions were significant at that venue, at that time, but other versions would've been better without the added adlibs and instruments (agree with Gibbo). And then there was Bad...yes, that synth track! There were the fillers like Mysterious Ways, Elevation, One and WOWY. That could've easily been replaced by rarities like: Electrical Storm, Your Blue Room, HMTMKMKM and Spanish Eyes. I did like the inclusion of One Tree Hill, The Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa, Ultraviolet, Beautiful Day (with the celtic intro) and the new version of EBTTRT. I do give them props for leaving out Crazy. I still applaud U2.com for coming up with this.

Audio Quality:

I have the rare chance of playing the U22 CD over a line array P.A. system (ones used in concerts), since I'm in the live audio business. It sounded great for the most part. Yes, it's going to sound different from one song to the other, due to the different venues and weather conditions. There's only so much you can do in post production and mastering. They would've combined recordings straight from Joe's audio console and ambient mics setup around the venues for that "live" feel. I also played it in my car stereo system (Boston Acoustics car audio) and through my headphones (Shure SRH990). It all sounded "big". In Zooropa, it did sound compressed when the band came in (in my car stereo system and headphones), but not through the P.A.

In the end, this was a great concept for us fans/subscribers. U2.com should do a My Playlist with us subscribers. Having us pick songs for our personal playlist, and give an insight on each song. There are those that are regulars on here, I think they should have a go at My Playlist. With the U22 CD, I've edited each song to fade in, at the beginning, and fade out at the end. From that, I made my own U2 Live playlist that combines some of the songs from U22, and other past live tracks from Slane DVD, Vertigo DVD, Under A Blood Red Sky, Rattle & Hum DVD, Elevation DVD and PopMart Tour DVD.