Moment of Surrender - A song about Adam Clayton?

MacFoley

• Subscriber

Was reading my U2 book the stories behind every song...and was reading about No Line songs....

First up...No Line...A song about Ali? Or for her? This is what the book mentions. I always thought the lyrics were a little cheesy and the tongue in the ear bit was a bit meh....but a love song about Ali, the lyrics make more sense to me.

And Moment of Surrender. The book says that when Bono started to write lyrics for the song, Adam had been 10 years on the dry, and looked to him for inspiration. When i read and hear the lyrics now, I can see why it could be about Adam. Before I thought it could be about a junkie/alcoholic...but Adam did have his demons in his past.

Interesting eh???

• Community Moderator

Very interesting...I can see how it could have started as that. Seems as the tour went on, it became a song about people who have passed away. Wasn't "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World" about Adam too?

• Subscriber

I'll still think of the junkie, especially after he added that live rap in the end.

But every U2 song has multiple meanings and sources. Like One for example

Bit harsh calling Clayton a junkie! roll.gif

• Subscriber

Very interesting...I can see how it could have started as that. Seems as the tour went on, it became a song about people who have passed away. Wasn't "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World" about Adam too?

I'll look that one up! wink.gif

• Subscriber

I recalled Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around The World as being a self-portrait of Bono - or, at least where he was at the time it was written - living life to the extreme, late night antics and all that.....this was from Bill Flanagan's book, "At The End of the World (I really must read it again).

I have that lyric book you're referring to as well, Mac. Really good to get a sense of how all the songs came about. That one's called "U2: The Stories Behind Every U2 Song" by Niall Stokes. Got it as a birthday gift last year.

Great thread, btw!

• Community Moderator

I recalled Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around The World as being a self-portrait of Bono - or, at least where he was at the time it was written - living life to the extreme, late night antics and all that.....this was from Bill Flanagan's book, "At The End of the World (I really must read it again).

I have that lyric book you're referring to as well, Mac. Really good to get a sense of how all the songs came about. That one's called "U2: The Stories Behind Every U2 Song" by Niall Stokes. Got it as a birthday gift last year.

Great thread, btw!

Maybe it was "Wide Horses" then.  I'll have to dig through my books now.  I probably read it in the Bill Flanagan book or U2 by U2.  I don't have the Niall Stokes book.  Will have to get it.