Political correctness

peterferris8

• Subscriber

What's everyone's thoughts on political correctness? Seeing as we live in thoroughly PC times, I felt like this thread seemed appropriate... 

To be honest, I can't stand it. I'm sick of seeing pictures or statuses on Facebook saying how we shouldn't call a fat person fat because of the SLIM chance that they might have an eating disorder, or something like that, it makes me want to puke. I felt silent fury when I heard that a Christian B&B owner had banned a gay couple from booking a room because "it offended their religion". The 'right not to be offended' is ridiculous. I actually want to go and bang my head against a wall whenever I hear someone say that "no-one is ugly, everyone is beautiful" or something similar. Does that mean Osama Bin Laden or Colonel Gaddaffi were beautiful then, even though they were responsible for loads of deaths? Or when it comes into music - like when back in 2001 Elbow's song 'New Born' was banned on Radio 1 for containing the line "I'll be the corpse in your bathtub". 

Admittedly, there's no excuse for just being a general arsehole, but when people make a huge fuss over the small things, I don't want to live on this planet anymore. 

Right, glad I got that off my chest! 

Now, what do you guys think of political correctness? Thoughts, opinions, comments?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber
At last someone who's as sick of P.C as I am!! I think this country's gone too PC for its own good and a lot of silly rules of conduct are cropping up as a result (take the BBC for example and its constant apologising for 'possible offence caused'), or reactions to some comedians, it's like you can't say anything anymore without having to apologise for having the view or being branded cos it's considered "non-P.C". Don't get me wrong, I'm not an advocate of being offensive, but sometimes, like you say, someone or something is just what it is and isn't necessarily meant offensively.

I'm not an FBer so don't know what goes on in there but I can imagine there's a lot of 'you can't say this and you can't say that', sometimes it's healthy to say things as they are and discuss it if necessary not hide behind platitudes.

(hello Nikki!!happy.gif)

• Subscriber
Are you getting agessive with that song Peter! wink.gif

I think there's a place for political correctness, it has a purpose and use in society but it's gone a bit overboard to a point of absurdity at times where it loses all meaning and serves little purpose other than to placate 'just in case' of offence due to the use of perfectly normal words! 

..am I allowed to use the word 'normal' anymore or will that offend someone somewhere too?!grin.gif

Couldn't agree with you more .... sick of it.

We have gone too far and everyone is too afraid to speak their mind for fear of upsetting someone. It used to be called having an opinion.

Im sick of it too....but I think its being done to save peoples lives now...(cyber bullying leading to suicides)

or from being sued and losing money and reputation and business...

• Subscriber

Well, if there really IS a fire, then I think, no, people should not be censored from shouting "Fire!"

But with the whole cyber-bullying thing...I do not support bullying in any shape or form. But the fact that we're now being expected to know a person's backstory before saying something to them or about them really grinds me. I mean, if I see a fat person, how am I to know whether they have an eating disorder or not?! I'd NEVER take the piss out of a person who had something unusual about them, but if I'm stating it as a fact then having someone rip into me for not knowing their story is just ridiculous (I wouldn't mention it if I DID know their story).