Most overrated or overplayed U2 Song

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if , macfoley , your "dont like that word because you are a pussy" is directed at me or anyone like me.....i LOVE the word ....when it is used correctly!!! when I say to someone "U2 sold out a 120,000 seat stadium", and the person responds "U2? they are SO overrated", I want to know what they mean by overrated. I'm NOT buying a group that sells over 120 million albums and consistently sells out stadiums and doesnt just put out junk , but quality music as overrated.

I WILL say No Line on the Horizon was an overrated U2 album.....the critics were creaming themselves saying it was the "next achtung baby" and I wholeheartedly disagreed from the very start, not just after it didnt sell well.

i'll have to give the two categories some thought....not coming up with anything at the moment

The OP is about the most Overrated U2 song, not that U2 are overrated. For those who don't like the word Overrated, then Overplayed. 

Th

if , macfoley , your "dont like that word because you are a pussy" is directed at me or anyone like me.....i LOVE the word ....when it is used correctly!!! when I say to someone "U2 sold out a 120,000 seat stadium", and the person responds "U2? they are SO overrated", I want to know what they mean by overrated. I'm NOT buying a group that sells over 120 million albums and consistently sells out stadiums and doesnt just put out junk , but quality music as overrated.

I WILL say No Line on the Horizon was an overrated U2 album.....the critics were creaming themselves saying it was the "next achtung baby" and I wholeheartedly disagreed from the very start, not just after it didnt sell well.

i'll have to give the two categories some thought....not coming up with anything at the moment

The OP is about the most Overrated U2 song, not that U2 are overrated. For those who don't like the word Overrated, then Overplayed. 

Thanks for your contribution to the thread mind.

By the way I love No Line On The Horizon and don't think it is an overrated album. All That You Can't Leave Behind takes that award for me.

I LOVE No Line.........I think it majorly kix the ass of All that You Cant Leave Behind......I just think the critics and music industry made too much over it....which , in my opinion means "overrated"

our boys , in my opinion , did NOT reinvent themselves the way they did for Achtung Baby....i dont think it was incredibly cutting edge or anything like that

I just think its a majorly kick ass album .....my favorite of their last 3, definitely in my top 5 faves

I LOVE No Line.........I think it majorly kix the ass of All that You Cant Leave Behind......I just think the critics and music industry made too much over it....which , in my opinion means "overrated"

our boys , in my opinion , did NOT reinvent themselves the way they did for Achtung Baby....i dont think it was incredibly cutting edge or anything like that

I just think its a majorly kick ass album .....my favorite of their last 3, definitely in my top 5 faves

I find your points interesting. I remember reading the reviews for the album and enjoying some reviews I find your comments on the critics view of No Line stand out. I would say the first 4 songs on No Line kind of look back at The Unforgettable Fire album that almost seem they would fit around this era. The fact that Eno and Lanois are a big part in U2 albums, UF being the first one, it just feels that way to me. So it is not really anything "groundbreaking" but it is still new sounds from a modern U2. Take Dissapearing Act from the UF sessions, to me that sounds like a No Line song even though it was originally written in 1983-1984.

Fez sounds like it came from Passengers, but I do like that song a lot.

Get On Your Boots kind of spoils the album for me and I'll Go Crazy as the weakest songs on there. 

White As Snow is truly underrated. I love that song, probably one of the best songs they have written in the past 12 years.

Cedars is lush! Shame we never got to hear these songs on the 360 tour. They really missed a trick to pull them out. Maybe we might see the light of day of them when they tour next...

Oh and yeah, hahaha, In A Little While is a pussy song!

• Subscriber

I think No Line was a definite departure, Liljbau......but then again, Dismantle was quite a departure from ATYCLB. Did the critics or industry people "hype" No Line any more than any other U2 album that gets released?  - for instance, Dismantle - had a lot of commercial hype happening around it with the ipod ad and the huge Vertigo hit........

I guess my question is: Had they gotten the commercial success with Boots (or any other song on No Line) that they had hoped, would you feel the industry "hype" was justified?

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

liljbau']I LOVE No Line.........I think it majorly kix the ass of All that You Cant Leave Behind......I just think the critics and music industry made too much over it....which , in my opinion means "overrated"

I find your points interesting. I remember reading the reviews for the album and enjoying some reviews I find your comments on the critics view of No Line stand out. I would say the first 4 songs on No Line kind of look back at The Unforgettable Fire album that almost seem they would fit around this era. The fact that Eno and Lanois are a big part in U2 albums, UF being the first one, it just feels that way to me. So it is not really anything "groundbreaking" but it is still new sounds from a modern U2. Take Dissapearing Act from the UF sessions, to me that sounds like a No Line song even though it was originally written in 1983-1984.

Fez sounds like it came from Passengers, but I do like that song a lot.

Get On Your Boots kind of spoils the album for me and I'll Go Crazy as the weakest songs on there. 

White As Snow is truly underrated. I love that song, probably one of the best songs they have written in the past 12 years.

Cedars is lush! Shame we never got to hear these songs on the 360 tour. They really missed a trick to pull them out. Maybe we might see the light of day of them when they tour next...

Oh and yeah, hahaha, In A Little While is a pussy song!

There always seems to be a few songs on U2 albums that are somewhat weak (except Achtung Baby, JT, and UF imo). But as far as full albums go, I feel No Line has fewer weak songs than the other commercially successful albums from the 2000s. That's why I see it as being underrated - as far as commercial success goes (which is different I realize than what Liljbau is saying about critic views).

Anyways, I think we agree that No Line is great in so many respects.....just wish the band felt the same. wink.gif

No way, I LOVE 'Peace On Earth' and 'When I Look At the World'. A BIG shame they only got some playtime after 9/11.

U2's wasted a LOT of live opportunities since 1978. They never really put much effort into trying to learn all the songs they made on albums so that they could translate live throughout their lifespan. If they had made an effort I know they could have created incredible live renditions of 'Red Light' and 'Refugee', 'Walk To the Water' etc..

Bono's made 2 appearanced with Corrs to perform 'When The Stars Go Blue' but never once made an appearance with Clannad to do 'In A Lifetime' live. Instead he does dismal renditions of 'One' with Mary J Blige and empty songs like 'Stranded' with Rihanna & Jay-Z.

So...

perhaps this will be a new OP