USA-Vote Tuesday November 6TH!! Every vote matters

xtraspicy62

Michael Moore is an Academy-Award winning filmmaker and best-selling author

November 4th, 2012 9:04 PM

Letter to a Non-Voter

By Michael Moore

To my friend who is not voting on Tuesday:

I get it – and I don't blame you. You're fed up and you could care less whether Tweedledee or Tweedledumber wins on Tuesday – because on Wednesday, your life will be the same, unchanged, regardless who is president. Your mortgage will still be underwater. You will still owe $50,000 on your student loan. Your son will still be in Afghanistan. Your daughter will still be working two jobs to make ends meet. And gas will still be at $4.

Four years ago you gave in and voted – and you voted for Obama. You wanted to believe he would go after the Wall Street crooks who crashed the economy – but instead the banks that were "too big to fail" four years ago are now even bigger and more dangerous. You thought there'd be universal health care – but the new law only went so far (with most of it not taking effect until 2014). You were tired of war and homeland security measures that violated our civil liberties – but we're still in Afghanistan, we're sending in drones to Pakistan and basic constitutional rights to privacy and fair trial have been ignored. And you thought you'd have a middle-class, good-paying job like your dad had – but you didn't know that Goldman Sachs was Obama's #1 private campaign donor in 2008, and well, he was beholden to corporate America in more ways we cared to think about.

So, I get it why you've had it with all these politicians and elections. In the end, it doesn't really seem to be our country any more. It's run by those who can buy the most politicians to do their bidding. Our schools are made a low priority and women are still having to fight for just the basic human rights we thought they already had.

So, it's hard for me to ask you for this very personal favor. It's ok if you say "no," but I'm hoping you don't.

I cannot believe it is possible that, after a group of rich plutocrats wrecked the economy, threw people out of work and stole our future, we may actually hand the keys to our country over to...a rich Republican plutocrat who made millions by throwing people out of work! This is insane, and despite all the legitimate criticisms of Obama, he is nothing like the tsunami of hate and corporate thievery that will take place if Mitt Romney is president. As bad as it feels now, it will only get worse. I need your help to stop this.

I can't promise you that your life will get better, easier under Barack Obama. I do think he cares and I know for sure that if the other guy is sitting in the Oval Office, I can guarantee you that not only will your life not get better, it will get much, much worse. Don't take my word for it. Just ask your parents what life was like before a 30-year pillage by the Republicans of the middle class. Your parents bought a house and eventually owned it outright. They weren't in debt. College was free. They bought a new car every 3 or 4 years. They took vacations and were home for dinner by 5 or 6 PM. They had a savings account in the bank. They didn't live in fear of not knowing if they'd even have a job next year.

That's all gone. I don't know if we can get it back, but I do know that Mr. Romney would love the chance to complete the final elimination of the middle class and the American Dream.

He must be stopped. Take 20 minutes on Tuesday and go vote. If you don't want to do it for your country, then do it for me! It's the only favor I'll ever ask of you.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I know that you care, and care deeply, about your future and your kids' future. You have every right to be cynical about all this. And you hold the power to stop the bastards who plan on squeezing every last dime out of you that they can. Take a stand. And make a statement to those who are hoping against hope that you'll stay home on Tuesday. Your presence at the polls is what they fear most.

Go scare the s**t out of them! For me.

• Subscriber

No matters who you vote for (ehm...ehm...)

Just remember someone fighted to give you the right to vote and Someone in the world doesn't even know the meaning of voting

It's your right not to vote but why let other people choosing for you?

Thanks, Michael Moore, for telling it like it is. And so eloquently, too. Smart, passionate, sincere man. Now who does that remind us of? :-)
thanks alexi....my vote is for obama, even though I do like Mitt about some things too...

I must say that paul ryans speech about his unborn baby looking like a bean on the ultrasound was touching...

Personally, I am for life, as I did see my child on ultrasound and she was beautiful.

I cannot fathom injecting saline into my womb and causing my baby to basically disintegrate, and then be torn to pieces by a vacuum and sucked out. It is totally disgusting to me.

However, I stand with Joe Biden when he says that for religious reasons, while hes against abortion himself, it isn't his place to impose his religious beliefs on to others.

No matters who you vote for (ehm...ehm...)

Just remember someone fighted to give you the right to vote and Someone in the world doesn't even know the meaning of voting

It's your right not to vote but why let other people choosing for you?

Thanks Monica.

Yes there are many people in the world who do not have even the right to vote. We need to keep those who are oppressed in our thoughts and prayers.

The US is blessed in that way.

However some people are reluctant to vote BC they have become cynical and hopeless.

That is why I posted Michael Moores letter just above.

It will make a difference.

Romney wants to over turn Roe V Wade and tell women what to do with their bodies, yet hes is saying hes for less government.

Really?

The government telling me what they say is morally right for my body-and then impose that?

Exercise you right to vote Tuesday!