Next U2 Tour/CD

• Subscriber

VERTIGO23796wrote:

I believe U2 need to make a soulful yet loud and angry record. They need to make it clear that U2 are still alive and still the best rock band in the world. As for a tour, either a tour similar to Elevation or Vertigo but more revolutionised, with a differnet track list every night and playing songs like "Gone", "Staring at the Sun" and "In God's Country"....and maybe "Gloria".

I could go for this. I always liked the arena shows, I would love to see them try and play theaters and ampitheaters again (Read Red Rocks and the Gorge), but opening up the setlist for sure would be great to see.

If it weren't for Edge's 50 guitars I would say go white stripes style, no playlist just call out a song and go.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

i say do another tour like zoo tv. best tour by them in my opinion. I also think popmart was just too much just like 360 was. I was on outside rail for 4 shows on 360 and it was one hell of an experience but damn it was just overkill and the cost of the stage and moving it just damn.

• Subscriber

Stadiums may be big and impersonal, with far too many people there merely because it's a concert to go to, but arenas have terrible sound. Everything distorted, unable to hear what is spoken, let alone the quality of the music. Being a hard-core fan of a band this big has many disadvantages; if they were to play small, intimate venues, tickets would be near-to-impossible to get and/or out of most people's price range (including this humble public school teacher). What to hope for, then? Well, more production from the studio would be swell...an album every 2 years isn't too much to ask for, is it? Oh, wait. It is. Ha ha. I know, I know, genius can't be rushed, BUT how about less touring, more creating? Don't get me wrong, love my live stuff, but love my studio albums even more.

• Subscriber

Stadiums may be big and impersonal, with far too many people there merely because it's a concert to go to, but arenas have terrible sound. Everything distorted, unable to hear what is spoken, let alone the quality of the music. Being a hard-core fan of a band this big has many disadvantages; if they were to play small, intimate venues, tickets would be near-to-impossible to get and/or out of most people's price range (including this humble public school teacher). What to hope for, then? Well, more production from the studio would be swell...an album every 2 years isn't too much to ask for, is it? Oh, wait. It is. Ha ha. I know, I know, genius can't be rushed, BUT how about less touring, more creating? Don't get me wrong, love my live stuff, but love my studio albums even more.

Only if you're in Wembley Arena where the sound sucks. Pendulum's performance there did sound very distorted. But even since then I've been to the O2 a lot, seeing bands like Elbow, Jamiroquai, Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead and Muse and the sound is superb. Cambridge Corn Exchange (where I saw Lostprophets) ain't bad either. So some arenas do have very good sound, it just depends on which one. I've never been to a stadium gig, but I have been to festivals and field gigs and the quality is either great or awful (great for the most part).

• Subscriber

Maybe the sound only sucks for arenas in the US which have been built for basketball and hockey. I've been to a number of different ones in California, Arizona, and Vegas to see our boys (and others, too) and they have all had terrible sound. A bummer.

• Subscriber

if they were to play small, intimate venues, tickets would be near-to-impossible to get and/or out of most people's price range (including this humble public school teacher).

If they go stripped down intimate shows, you can write-off a "rest of world" tour too. frown.gif

Something reminiscent of the War Tour, like Under A Blood Red Sky and ZooTV tour(arena version). Rock and Raw!

Stage: Arena tour, end stage with seats behind the stage...as usual. However, add stand-only areas just off to the side of the stage. From my work experience, it's more intimate jam session-style atmosphere. The crowd, in that section, will feel like they're also onstage and a more personal interaction with the band. Sound-wise, truthfully, it won't sound as good, but I think people will have a once-in-a-lifetime experience. That type of vibe will allow U2 to be more laid back, and more versatile in their song selection. To make it even more intimate, have the guitar world/bass world, the U2 crew more exposed to the fans. For instance, during the show you can see Dallas Schoo, in guitar world prepping The Edge's next guitar. Or you can see Adam Clayton's bass guitar boat. You can see the 3 monitor engineers monitoring the band's in-ear mixes. You can also see Terry Lawless playing the synth parts to Streets. They should still have some sort of catwalk for the front.

Innovation: Every U2 tour contains the first of new technology in live production. In their next tour, and I've mention this several times on other threads, is to do with the setlist and the fans. Let the fans choose the songs, ON THE SPOT!!! Everyone has cellphones, so wouldn't it be great if U2 throw up at least 3 song titles on their backdrop...and the fans get to choose on which one to play? And do this at least twice or three times a show. In addition, the songs aren't the U2 anthems, but more of the rarely played ones...Wire, Like A Song, Hawkmoon 269, So Cruel, etc...

Being that it's an arena tour, U2 will have to play more shows, than the U2360 tour. That means Bono's voice will have to be durable, or else another Lovetown Tour-like postponement might happen. With that said, they should do live streaming of select shows (maybe the ones in the bigger markets). In addition, the crowd should have a personal live stream video during the show on their cellphones...for instance, when Bono says for the crowd to raise their cellphones up, there will be some sort of video designs/logos that appears, which makes the crowd more part of the show. Also do what the Chili Peppers are doing, which is audio downloads of their shows, a couple days after.

3D video cameras for 3D moving LED expandable screens and 3D video curtains (NO 3D glasses required for any of this!). These should just complement the songs, not be the highlight.

As for sound, there are new P.A. systems coming out, as well as new sound consoles. I wish they could go with another brand P.A. instead of Clair Brother's P.A....the "I" rig. There are so much better P.A. systems out there, like the L'acoustic K1 (as seen with bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers), Meyer Sound TM Arrays (Metallica), d&b J-series (Muse) or the Adamson Y-Axis System (Linkin Park). As for sound console...Midas XL8! The DigiCo SD7 is great (used on the U2360 tour), but the Midas XL8 is a beast!

Show: The setlist shouldn't be dictated by the video/lighting production...aka, Willie Williams. In this tour, the band doesn't need an "OK" from Mr. Williams, as far as the setlist goes. Instead, U2 can play any song, and the video/lighting crew can recall the scene for that song. Joe O' Herlihy can also recall scenes for each song too(that's also from my personal experience). Hopefully, Bono's voice can still handle a 23 song setlist. Otherwise, have The Edge step in and sing songs like Seconds. Also, less reliance on backing instrument tracks (less synths and more live electric guitar!)...meaning more raw sound rock shows. Again, Under A Blood Red Sky sounding!

Setlist/Next CD: Hopefully it's more rockin'. Last I heard, The Edge's guitar work will be the highlight of this album. It will be interesting to see what U2 comes up with Danger Mouse producing it. A hybrid of War and Achtung I hope! Less commercial, catchy tunes like Beautiful Day, Vertigo and Boots-style.

For their setlist, they'll probably no more than 5 new songs. Hopefully they start to incorporate rarely played songs like: God II, Wire, Like A Song, Electric Co., Hawkmoon 269, Gloria, Exit, I Threw A Brick and A Sort Of Homecoming...and maybe welcome back Bullet The Blue Sky. Leave out some over-played, tired songs like: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Stuck In A Moment, In A Little While, With Or Without You (unless they play the Rattle & Hum version!) and Mysterious Ways.

• Subscriber

Well I think they should play most of their new songs but not necessarily the same every show. That goes for all of them

As for the lights/videos: If they played with a white light on them and nothing else but played rare songs I'd enjoy it A LOT more than synchronized shows.

I think the fans choosing the songs via cell phone is an amazing initiative! Sadly I don't see how it could reach them

Definitely play more oldies, and Pop. What the hell is wrong with them and Pop? Not one song this past tour.

Only one song in Vertigo. Seriously, you can't overplay some albums (ATYCLB, Joshua) but ignore others!

• Subscriber

Something reminiscent of the War Tour, like Under A Blood Red Sky and ZooTV tour(arena version). Rock and Raw!

Stage: Arena tour, end stage with seats behind the stage...as usual. However, add stand-only areas just off to the side of the stage. From my work experience, it's more intimate jam session-style atmosphere. The crowd, in that section, will feel like they're also onstage and a more personal interaction with the band. Sound-wise, truthfully, it won't sound as good, but I think people will have a once-in-a-lifetime experience. That type of vibe will allow U2 to be more laid back, and more versatile in their song selection. To make it even more intimate, have the guitar world/bass world, the U2 crew more exposed to the fans. For instance, during the show you can see Dallas Schoo, in guitar world prepping The Edge's next guitar. Or you can see Adam Clayton's bass guitar boat. You can see the 3 monitor engineers monitoring the band's in-ear mixes. You can also see Terry Lawless playing the synth parts to Streets. They should still have some sort of catwalk for the front.

But would people want to pay £100-£1000 for that once-in-a-lifetime experience? I don't think so. On the other hand, the rest sounds pretty good. I went to see Muse at The O2 recently and they had a really cool kind of stage concept where there was a gantry going around the back of the stage close to the side-of-stage seating (where I was) and also the seating behind the stage, so that Matt could come round and show off to us. 

I like the idea of being able to see Terry Lawless playing the keyboards up on stage. I get the feeling something like that would make the show feel less processed, which I think would be a nice touch. Also, instead of having sequencers and computers automatically playing extra instrumental parts, get some proper extra musicians to play any extra instrumental parts needed. So have a few touring musicians to play extra guitar/piano/keyboard/any other instrument parts. Particularly guitar parts, knowing just how useless Bono is...laugh.gif