Brian Eno claims that Coldplay and U2 are the new ABBA

febottini

• Subscriber

In an interview with The Independent, the legendary producer compares Coldplay and U2 to the Swedish pop group and says that no one originally wanted to admit that they were ABBA fans.

Eno has worked with them both, and is adamant that Coldplay are a good band. He says, "I remember very clearly when I was young, and we were all into the Velvet Underground and Jefferson Airplane. And then ABBA came along.

"Now, everybody secretly loved ABBA, but you could never admit to it. You would have to listen to their records guiltily at home, because they weren't cool. Everybody liked them, for a start - your mother liked them! - and so they had no subversive cred.

"Of course, now, in retrospect, we can all see that they wrote amazing songs, and that they really were a great band."

He similarly defended U2, who he says are essentially the ABBA of their day.

Eno says, about the band, "Some of their best songs are fantastic, and you can't argue with that. You can't.

"I was in a taxi the other day when 'With or Without You' [from The Joshua Tree] came on the radio, and I just thought, 'Bloody hell, that's good.' Because it is!"

He finished by adding, "The English are constantly in knots over this sort of thing, aren't they? If something is successful, it can't possibly be any good. Anything popular is populist, and populist is rarely a good adjective."

• Subscriber

He finished by adding, "The English are constantly in knots over this sort of thing, aren't they? If something is successful, it can't possibly be any good. Anything popular is populist, and populist is rarely a good adjective."

Very interesting article. And I agree, I really hate those hipster types.

• Subscriber

I don't think you can look at the numbers on ticket sales and say Coldplay or U2 are "unpopular", although i understand the argument about not having "cred", so i also agree with Peterferris' comment about hipsters.

It took ABBA to split up, as well as the fans who loved them as children to grow up and openly admit as adults they are ABBA fans, for the magnitude of Bjorn and Benny's songwriting as well as the complexity of the harmonies achieved by Agnetha and Annifrid (as well as the technical achievements of Bjorn and Benny's record production which they were able to reproduce in live shows augmenting the live vocals with layered back up) to be recognised for what it was- absolutely fricking awesome.

• Subscriber

ABBA are the most important pop band since the Beatles according to Bono in an ABBA tribute show a few years back. I can't see any comparison with either Coldplay or U2 against ABBA. ABBA are probably more popular than both I would say and their music will probably last longer I'd guess.

• Subscriber

Hmm, been thinking about this one and as much as i admire our boys, there's a significant percentage of the population who can't stand U2 because, as we well know, they think Bono is a plank and is very annoying. Abba annoyed people because they were ubiquitous there for a while and because of the wholesome Swedish thing they had going on, but i would suggest they were and are much more widely adored than U2 could ever be and with Mamma Mia etc the songs continue to live. Coldplay are also a bit stuck with the pompous-rock-band-self-important-lead-singer-is-a-tosser monkey on their back, too. Abba had a very carefully constructed persona. They were non-political, beautifully crafted escapism whereas as Bono himself has said, HE gets sick of hearing about Bono.

So I really don't think there are a lot of closet Coldplay and U2 fans who will out themselves if the bands were, say, split up. And I really think this shows how out of touch Eno really is with "the fans" which I also think has a lot to do with why NLOTH turned out to be such a dull and self-indulgent musician's record (note I did not say it was "bad" or "without merit" I said it is "dull" and a "musician's record"), rather than a record made to invigorate and delight the fans.

• Subscriber

And I really think this shows how out of touch Eno really is with "the fans" which I also think has a lot to do with why NLOTH turned out to be such a dull and self-indulgent musician's record (note I did not say it was "bad" or "without merit" I said it is "dull" and a "musician's record"), rather than a record made to invigorate and delight the fans.

Bands don't make albums to please the fans. The best albums are the ones bands have made to please themselves. They should release what they want, rather than what the fans want.

• Subscriber

[quote name='peterferris8 wrote:

nothingleft_toulouse']And I really think this shows how out of touch Eno really is with "the fans" which I also think has a lot to do with why NLOTH turned out to be such a dull and self-indulgent musician's record (note I did not say it was "bad" or "without merit" I said it is "dull" and a "musician's record"), rather than a record made to invigorate and delight the fans.

Bands don't make albums to please the fans. The best albums are the ones bands have made to please themselves. They should release what they want, rather than what the fans want.

Very true Pete.

When they play ABBA the dance floor gets full up, U2 has the opposite effect laugh.gif  the only thing they have in common me thinks is cool names oh and great music, but poles apartnerd.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='peterferris8 wrote:

nothingleft_toulouse']And I really think this shows how out of touch Eno really is with "the fans" which I also think has a lot to do with why NLOTH turned out to be such a dull and self-indulgent musician's record (note I did not say it was "bad" or "without merit" I said it is "dull" and a "musician's record"), rather than a record made to invigorate and delight the fans.

I didn't say "please", which is a word that suggests putting approval of others first. 

Popular music is, by its very definition, made to please others and, hence, make a whole bucket o' money. 

U2 are not a "pop" act and "pleasing" fans is, indeed, not why they write or make music (although they're partial to making buckets o' money) but its why their music is timeless and as fresh today as it was 30, 25, 20 years ago.

I said "invigorate" and "delight", which are different words to "please" and with different connotations, which is why I used them. wink.gif

I have no issues at all with the musicianship and artistry of NLOTH. It's truly great. It's just dull, and Eno had a lot to do with that. 

at least in the people i have PERSONALLY talked to - at work , wherever- NOBODY has a problem admitting he or she is a coldplay fan!!!!! In fact , when I bring up u2, they will most of the time bring up their disdain for u2 and the fact that they are coldplay fans!!!!

i am not joking