Mom Battling Cancer Since First Diagnosed Past November

Sigma957

Mom's been diagnosed with stage 4 since November 2012. She has cancer of the intestines and has not eaten anything but iv administered TPN (lipids and nutrients in a bag hung on a pole) since late November. She's been a resident of Queens Cancer Center since that time. She almost died from a Chemotherapy complication the Friday before Christmas and was in ICU for a week, on life support. She came out of it thankfully. She was supposed to have surgery to remove the lower bowel obstruction today, Saturday to allow her bowels to function again, but the tumours are all over. Even with a visible cancer marker count below 62 (0-35 is best) the tumours found during laproscopy prevented the doctors from doing any re-sectioning or intestinal reorganization (untwisting by hand). I could see it in his eyes, the helplessness; being so skilled and unable to do anything.

I want to see justice brought to the doctors who mis-diagnosed her TWICE as it being just "scar tissue from past surgeries". That was late 2011, not long after 360 Moncton. I don't want their money, I just don't want those specific individuals practicing medicine anywhere in Hawaii again. A thorough CT scan would have found the tumours. Careless, careless, careless.

I'm being reminded by u2.com that I have to renew my paid membership in less than 7 days. I'm not sure I will right now. Not sure of any future tours, not sure of anything. Cancer has created a whirlpool of suck.

Mom's life is in the balance and only God knows what it's all for.

• Subscriber

Sigma, my heart SO goes out to you and your mom. :mellow: (My mom also dealt with a diagnosis although hers was caught early enough & thankfully dealt with.) I don't know if you believe in prayer, but I will pray a prayer for your mom.

I do think that not enough people follow up on reporting problems w/hospitals & medical systems - at least in the U.S. If u do, then more power to u. If there's a problem w/a doctor, hospital, or system, I hope u have a chance to report it properly so it can be corrected. Don't worry about U2.com. There are a lot worse things in the world than a subscription lapse. U2.com will be here for you in the future when the time is right for you. Spend time w/your mom. And remember to take care of yourself, too, (to the best of your ability) for the sake of both of you.

Edited by Alma1

Mom's been diagnosed with stage 4 since November 2012. She has cancer of the intestines and has not eaten anything but iv administered TPN (lipids and nutrients in a bag hung on a pole) since late November. She's been a resident of Queens Cancer Center since that time. She almost died from a Chemotherapy complication the Friday before Christmas and was in ICU for a week, on life support. She came out of it thankfully. She was supposed to have surgery to remove the lower bowel obstruction today, Saturday to allow her bowels to function again, but the tumours are all over. Even with a visible cancer marker count below 62 (0-35 is best) the tumours found during laproscopy prevented the doctors from doing any re-sectioning or intestinal reorganization (untwisting by hand). I could see it in his eyes, the helplessness; being so skilled and unable to do anything.

I want to see justice brought to the doctors who mis-diagnosed her TWICE as it being just "scar tissue from past surgeries". That was late 2011, not long after 360 Moncton. I don't want their money, I just don't want those specific individuals practicing medicine anywhere in Hawaii again. A thorough CT scan would have found the tumours. Careless, careless, careless.

I'm being reminded by u2.com that I have to renew my paid membership in less than 7 days. I'm not sure I will right now. Not sure of any future tours, not sure of anything. Cancer has created a whirlpool of suck.

Mom's life is in the balance and only God knows what it's all for.

so sorry for all of this pain sigma

it gets so confusing

as to the why are we here thing, and what exactly is the reason?

its some kind of cosmic joke on us it seems.

severe, chronic pain and disability...what purpose does this serve?

dont get it and dont want to.

most days just want to die too.

• Subscriber

Spicy :wub: You can't give up, whatever comes your way. Sigma, I feel for you. My father was in the hospital for something else prior to his diagnosis of cancer. It should have shown up somewhere in his tests that something was wrong. It sickens me that they could have found it sooner and they didn't. We didn't hold anyone responsible for this. I've always asked, why didn't they know 2 or 3 months ago sooner. Could have saved him. He was still young and strong and an able body man enjoying his life from working his ass off for all his kids for many years. He was entitled to enjoy his life. I think about this all the time and it makes me sad. I understand what you have going on now. Please take care.

Mom talked to my sister and I tonight. Dr Chong her oncologist came to see her today.

3-4 months to live without continued Chemo.

The surgeon said he can't do anything, he doesn't have the confidence that he will make a difference.

They are both giving up on her. I thought it over in my head after being told this.

Don't take the opinion of one doctor. If they're giving up on you, drop them and find someone else who's not a quitter.

We're looking into alternative medicine for Mom. Somehow I knew this would be the only way to help her. She's making a decision tomorrow whether to continue Chemo or be sent home to die a slow death.

My sister and I told her not to give up. Mom says she's so tired and so sick from the medications. Just tired.

When doctors are willing to kill the person they are supposed to help, they should no longer have the right to EVER practice medicine again.

I'm going to be there when Mom beats this to look into those quitters eyes and tell them, see? And you quit on her.

Edited by Sigma957

• Subscriber

Mom talked to my sister and I tonight. Dr Chong her oncologist came to see her today.

3-4 months to live without continued Chemo.

The surgeon said he can't do anything, he doesn't have the confidence that he will make a difference.

They are both giving up on her. I thought it over in my head after being told this.

Don't take the opinion of one doctor. If they're giving up on you, drop them and find someone else who's not a quitter.

We're looking into alternative medicine for Mom. Somehow I knew this would be the only way to help her. She's making a decision tomorrow whether to continue Chemo or be sent home to die a slow death.

My sister and I told her not to give up. Mom says she's so tired and so sick from the medications. Just tired.

When doctors are willing to kill the person they are supposed to help, they should no longer have the right to EVER practice medicine again.

I'm going to be there when Mom beats this to look into those quitters eyes and tell them, see? And you quit on her.

Thanks for your post Sigma, just to let you know. We are thinking of you and your Mom and I hope and pray she's going to okay and you'll know what to do next.

x