Just Need A Little Rant

Zhivvy

• Subscriber

Since yesterday there as, obviously, been a lot of comments and opinions online about the death of Margaret Thatcher. I am not one to celebrate the death of anyone, but have to say I have no feelings on the fact that she has died. And anyone who knows me knows my opinion on this woman as she directly affected my childhood. The Tories have never been popular in the north of England - that is a common fact. But when she came into power I was only 7 so I was a bit too young to vote. Even in 1984 at 12 I was still too young to vote, but I was old enough to be affected by her actions. My Dad was one of the thousands of striking miners for 18 months during which time I saw my Dad and his work friends fight vehemently for what they believed in and what they believed was right. I saw working communities and families torn apart by the strikes, proud men who didn't have the money to put food on the table, being refused free school dinners for their children because the government said that they wouldn't put that into place. Clothing and food was provided in food parcels from overseas as well as the UK from people who believed in the fight of the miners and supported their cause. As a member of the unions my dad attended meetings and wrote for the strikers' newsletters which resulted in just over a year of our home phone line being tapped and every call being listened into. And even after the strikes finished things were never the same; the workplace and workforce ethos had changed and it changed my Dad too. And all too soon the workforce was being slowly cut back until the colliery finally shut just a few years later. 

There are many other reasons for me never being a Tory voter but this is the main reason why I cannot ever support this party. I know many others directly affected by her actions too. And I know everyone is entitled by their opinion. But have just popped over to FB and a very good friend of mine, a close friend whom I love dearly has posted a picture saying how good this woman was - someone who never had to live under her power. I want to write something, I really do. But she knows my story and I don't want to argue with a good friend (we agree on everything apart from politics and that Bono is great!) So now I am biting my tongue and came here to post this waffle instead!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Ask her to back up her statements or shut the f*ck up. Margaret Thatcher with her privatisation all but destroyed manufacturing in the UK. Ask yer pal what the families of those miners who took their lives cos they couldn't cope withe anxiety of not being able to support their loved ones would think about her little eulogy.

• Subscriber

That is the problem - she can't as left england in about 1981 or maybe earlier, so never even had to live under it all. And I think the fact that no one has made a comment speaks volumes as to people's opinions. She knows from me of hard it all was etc...and have you ever tried to get a Dutch person to change their opinion? It is impossible! 

• Subscriber

I feel you. I guess it is something similar to what happened in Galicia in the sector of naval construction (at which, by the way, workers are famous for the good job they do due to an unusually good training they had). There were lots of street fighting in the eighties and nineties, and today they still keep fighting to come out of the coma.

And something similar to what is happening in Spain now in general, with people jumping out of the windows. People are having tough times and there are people who have studied, one or several degrees, speak several languages, whith the effort it takes, and they find themselves without job, house, nothing, 0. Nothing but the possibility of starting from the scratch... Infinity is a great place to start! Of course there are much worse unjustices in the world that need urgent help but this must be denounced too!

Edited by tan_lejos_tan_cerca

• Subscriber

I have seen the news and what is happening in Spain now and it is a sad situation. And happening in other countries in Europe and wider ranging too. People studied hard and have worked hard and should have something to show for the efforts they have given

• Subscriber

I felt nothing when I heard the news about that woman, which was quite apt I thought considering she felt pretty much the same for the likes of me when she was in power. I'm not watching the news or any coverage, I can't stand listening to them gushing about her, my memory of her will always be the same, she was a cold, heartless leader who caused untold misery and hardship for so many. I have nothing good to say about her. I hope we never have to endure the likes of her again.

• Subscriber

As a Northerner myself I have these words to say: Good Riddance.

No I don't have to speak politely about someone who decimated many people’s lives - she is responsible for whole generations of people who will never get work, not because they're stupid or lazy, but because they need the kind of work that is practical (manufacturing/building/mining etc.). That kind of work now no longer exists, and we have tons of supposed "scroungers" on benefits. This is what happens when you narrow a countries economy to a service economy, you can't expect an entire population of people to do the same kind of work, we're not all wired the same.

/ end rant