Sign in to follow this  
leeny113

Bono Story On Aol News Today! (I Can't Believe It!) :)

5110533910.jpg

Photo: Dave Hogan, Hulton Archive
    Bono Saves a Life, Live Aid, 1985

U2 only performed two songs at the famous Wembley Stadium charity show, but in that time, they established themselves as preeminent live performers, and -- oh, yeah -- Bono saved a girl's life.

During the song "Bad," he saw that a 15-year-old girl was being crushed by fans, so he gestured for security to help her. When they didn't understand him, the mullet-headed frontman jumped off the stage and plucked Kal Khalique out of the masses as the band played on.

"The crowd surged and I was suffocating -- then I saw Bono," she told the Sun.

Because it took so long, the group didn't have time to perform its third song -- "Pride (In the Name of Love)" -- but it didn't matter. Sales of their music skyrocketed.

http://www.spinner.com/2013/04/12/music-festival-history/?ncid=webmail2#photo-2

Edited by leeny113

Oh wow I'd never heard that story before. 

Those kinds of stories gross me out. The thought of being crushed to death over something that is supposed to be plain fun. Thank goodness he saw her

I think this kind of thing still can happen to this day at some bands' concerts. It shouldn't. By now, it should be a thing of the past that is prevented from happening by law by solid planning. (Also pyrotechnics & over-capacity audience at some club venues gives the risk of people being burned alive & being stampeded & crushed trying to escape. Should never happen in this day & age either.) :mellow:

Crowd probably surged cos he came off the stage! lol.

I didn't know that, i thought he pulled her out like he sometimes does.

I remember it well, I was watching at the time, lucky ducky got a bonocuddle, she didn't do so bad (about 1min in)

(PS. the last 30secs or so are quite funny too if you watch it through :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivr2aL9vUxQ

Edited by Anjana

This is great! Never saw this interview clip before. Bono's side glance/smirk at 2:21 is adorably guilty. The constables did make me laugh out loud. Shhhh...people are sleeping here.  ;)

This is great! Never saw this interview clip before. Bono's side glance/smirk at 2:21 is adorably guilty. The constables did make me laugh out loud. Shhhh...people are sleeping here.  ;)

and of course I didn't post it just cos Larry looks hot, I would never do such a thing ;)

Anyway this got me a tad nostalgic, so here's the whole uninterrupted set if you have a 20min break and fancy watching it (I forwarded through the first 2 mins, it's a bit slow). Brings back fond memories. Just Ioved the young brash Bono, loud and in your face, he was so mesmerising to watch. And there was such an air of anticipation when they came on, it changed the mood.

Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okv5D0xBaRQ

and of course I didn't post it just cos Larry looks hot, I would never do such a thing ;)

Was this BBC interview during the Vertigo era or right after but before ATYCLB?