Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scout6

Policing Of The Site

Yet another post has been essentially deleted before it had a chance to be read.

The policing of this site is getting very ohhhh what word do I want to choose?

How about i'll just stay with oppressive or wait nope how about paternalistic or even irritating and condescending and absolutely no fun at all which is a few words more.

How about LiveNation gives us something about the band to talk about like an official sound teaser instead of shutting down those of us who are creative and smart enough to find such things online and then share them here with other U2 fans.

This is not anger directed at Mods who are doing the job they were given. This is anger at website management that doesn't seem interested in promoting the band they are supposed to be representing or honouring the fans who follow them.

Treat us to something about the band that we all can't find in 10 seconds ourselves simply by reading the newspapers online each day. 

Agree with all you say. 

If we are being so restricted in what we can say and do we need to be given stuff instead. Mods just do what they are told to do but why have the ones behind them suddenly become so oppressive? Is it since this place was taken over by Live Nation and they are run by ex-police? 

People ask why it is quieter than it used to be in the past. One reason is because of no tour at the moment and no new album to talk about either, but the other one is because of the strict policing of this place. Yes there are boundaries but also there is freedom of speech, having a laugh and a joke, banter between people in here etc....and the censorship is killing that off 

I agree. Am sure the mods are as interested in snippets of news posted here as much as we but they have to do their job. The site, and the whole U2 thing generally I feel, takes itself all too seriously, I wish they'd let go a bit. I appreciate they can't encourage any kind of snooping/leaks themselves (at least not officially) but once it's out there they achieve little by deleting it here.

I had a dream last night (it's not quite MLK!!) that I heard the new single on the radio, completely out the blue, we all knew nothing of its release etc and I was trying to get to a pooter to tell you all but suddenly I was in a huge house with loads of corridors and rooms and couldn't find my way to where I wanted to be!! It was a really good song, UF style! I seem to have created my own U2 song, if only I could remember it lol

Just musing, I remember Bono saying he doesn't like the distance between band and audience at gigs, Larry said a similar thing about Glasto, funny how their own site keeps their most devoted audience very distant from them and their news for years, we're not even at arms length, feels quite us and them. Ironic really.

Can't see much that has been removed by mods in past few weeks, a few overly expletive comments and one or two nude pics thats all..

If you can point out which section / topic please, and who posted. Sometimes people delete there own content so maybe that was the case here.

I think it's the removal of 'fleshy' ;) pics which we just do for fun and giggles really and the links to leaks/jams etc which are edited out here and there, a lot of people don't see the content before its removed and probably feel they miss out. One thread disappeared (not many posts mind), I think that may have been done by the person who created it but I'm not sure. Anyway, I think its just the feeling that we can't mess about the way we want to sometimes, especially when we are in a naughty mood!! You know what spoilt wilful children we are in here lol :P

Just musing, I remember Bono saying he doesn't like the distance between band and audience at gigs, Larry said a similar thing about Glasto, funny how their own site keeps their most devoted audience very distant from them and their news for years, we're not even at arms length, feels quite us and them. Ironic really.

Good point, Anjana.  I've thought the same.

Can't say I've noticed any majorly strict mod deleting behaviour here...

I found while folloing JAMES on tour last year, they VERY much like their fans up close, like right in our faces close. Not trying to reach out to us but smack dab on the floor walking through the crowd and shaking hands close, passing off the mic for a few bars to the fans close.

Did I mention close? So close my Nikon D80 couldn't auto-focus so I had to switch to manual close.

wow

Can't see much that has been removed by mods in past few weeks, a few overly expletive comments and one or two nude pics thats all..

If you can point out which section / topic please, and who posted. Sometimes people delete there own content so maybe that was the case here.

thanks bigwave.

tis true my friends, that sometimes people delete their own comments or threads.

Ive done that before :wacko: sorrwy!

But seriously, me thinks its also a matter we may have forgotton, and that is this: children as young as 13 may access this site with their parents permission.