A Different Kind Of Afternoon

Zhivvy

• Subscriber

This afternoon was rather odd and surreal to say the least. spent it at Stafford prison at a 'party'. There are lots of things going on this year for 50 years of the Stafford Branch of the Samaritans so have been doing stuff with all the people we deal with. So this afternoon the prison listeners along with other inmates put on a celebratory afternoon to thank us for the work and training we do with them. 

I had no idea what to expect from a celebration in prison - but have to say was blown away, no not in that way, was full security.  Apart from a speech by the Governor at the end it was all organised, presented and performed by the inmates (with an officer presence.) The prison choir almost brought me to tears, was beautiful. A blues rock band were amazing and very loud, had a violin concerto, poetry readings (written by the inmates), drama etc...all with the theme of helping and people not being alone. The talent was outstanding, the effort these prisoners had put in for us was outstanding too.

First party I have been to in ages though where the choice of drinks was coffee, tea or orange! 

It must have been a different experience. The inmates must be grateful for the work you do... Apart from the crimes they commited, some of them might have had difficult lifes and maybe there are worse criminals outside the prison...

that is a good point my friend...

I once talked to a woman who did hard time and she shared that the worst part was the endless days and years and depression..

what you are doing is a true gift to them zhivvy

• Subscriber

I have no idea what crimes the criminals who i deal with have done - we don't ask, but they can tell us if they wish too, it is their choice. But seeing that one of the conditions is that they must have at least a six months stretch left after the few months of training and have been in prison a fair amount of time before they sign up to do it, the crimes are probably pretty bad. But these are the ones who have rehabilitated themselves, even the ones who will never be coming out of there and help the others who are having a tough time emotionally in there. Statistics have shown that the Samaritans being in a lot of prisons and all prisons agreeing to let an inmate call us at anytime works. in the past 10 years there are twice as many people in prison as there was in 2003 yet suicide has dropped from 130 in a year to 57 last year (in prisons) which is a huge improvement along with self harming incidents being less too. Samaritans along with safer custody in all prisons and other organisations has made a big difference indeed.

And not that we do what we do for the thanks and praise it is nice to to recognised :)

I have no idea what crimes the criminals who i deal with have done - we don't ask, but they can tell us if they wish too, it is their choice. But seeing that one of the conditions is that they must have at least a six months stretch left after the few months of training and have been in prison a fair amount of time before they sign up to do it, the crimes are probably pretty bad. But these are the ones who have rehabilitated themselves, even the ones who will never be coming out of there and help the others who are having a tough time emotionally in there. Statistics have shown that the Samaritans being in a lot of prisons and all prisons agreeing to let an inmate call us at anytime works. in the past 10 years there are twice as many people in prison as there was in 2003 yet suicide has dropped from 130 in a year to 57 last year (in prisons) which is a huge improvement along with self harming incidents being less too. Samaritans along with safer custody in all prisons and other organisations has made a big difference indeed.

And not that we do what we do for the thanks and praise it is nice to to recognised :)

it sounds like a very lovely celebration of your precious gift of your time and your caring. Those just cannot be bought.

Here in the states, the number of people imprisoned for non-violent crimes is alarming to say the least.

This is a huge topic of debate and discussion here.