Bono's Meaning Of Life

mylifeline

• Subscriber

I am so thrilled to have been able to watch the RTE Meaning of Life hosted by Guy Byrne w/Bono tonight.

I do hope that it stays up but be forwarned there is a button that says "21 days left" and I don't know if that's to view it or what...

Anyway Bono was very comfortable and his references to Ali and the Band are ones we already know but how he speaks of God v religion and how he 'confesses his sins via his songs' is rather interesting...

Did you see it?

What did you think?

• Subscriber

Bono said lots of great things to think about and it's a pleasure to hear him as always...

The issue of the crisis in Ireland is a delicate thing. I don't know exactly the situation there, but I think it must be similar to Spain in several things. I would say a high percentage of the people is living in poverty. There are lots of families whose members are all unemployed... Having a job has become a dream for half of the population. I mean, this is more than a crisis. It's need.

I agree with Bono in what he said about irish people being intelligent and not starting a riot. Like people here, in Spain. It would be really bad if violence exploded, and I think at some time, one political figure should appear, somebody capable of channeling all that rage of the people and offer political solutions. Someone capable of think different options. And it's clear this corrupt politicians we have here have to go away.

It's evident that people need a solution. But in my opinion, criticizing Bono or people like him is not going to solve anything... I think this critics are wrong, specially because U2 have spent a lot of money for instance in this program of musical education and other initiatives in Ireland, they have carried their flag all around the world and it's obvious they are people always willing to contribute something interesting.

Edited by tan_lejos_tan_cerca

• Subscriber

I will never stop to love this band, and this Man. I've learned much more about the world, religion, society and people from U2, rather than in the years I've spent at school and university.

Three chords and the truth. Thank you Bono. Thank you U2.

• Subscriber

I have made less than the 'poverty level' here in the US for for 3 straight years. I can't say that I understand poverty, but I understand not knowing where your next meal is coming from or if you'll be able to keep the lights on. At the same time I have an amount of understanding as to u2's decision to change it's corp. HD outside of Ireland to avoid a high tax...but there is a voice inside that still hears Bono saying some 30 odd years ago that "we're going to London to make a record deal, but we're going to base our band (i.e. stay) in Ireland because "you are our tribe!". 

I've yet to run into tourist from Ireland and living in central Florida I run into a LOT, who speak ill of u2, and never over taxes.

I just know that they make my heart sing and put a massive smile on my face.

• Subscriber

I'm sorry you had a hard time for a while. It is good to have a home and to eat at least three times a day but I guess money can't buy the most important things, isn't it?

Another thought: He inspires me a deep respect when he talks about God /religion... I think all that spitituality must come from the events that happened during his teen years. You know what? I hardly ever go to mass and when I enter a church it is because I go to admire the architecture and the stained glass. But years ago, I went to a mass, I don't remember the occasion, but when everyone started praying, I couldn't remember a word! :o  I had forgotten the Lord's prayer and all! Very significant, taking into account that I had to go to a religious school until I was 14, where the nuns made us pray 5 times a day. Despite my super good marks I thoroughly disliked them all. And in my family only my granny was religious... So no, I have no much fondness for the catholic church. Not to mention the fundamentalism!  :wacko:

• Subscriber

While overall the interview was quite interesting I'm afraid his words on the bands tax status don't cut it for me.  It was obviously well scripted and no doubt had 'corporate' approval.

• Subscriber

While overall the interview was quite interesting I'm afraid his words on the bands tax status don't cut it for me.  It was obviously well scripted and no doubt had 'corporate' approval.

He just found it  bit hard to say although he's rich he's also tight with his money without getting critisism about it from everybody lol

so he boldly blurted out he has his right to be tight  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I am so thrilled to have been able to watch the RTE Meaning of Life hosted by Guy Byrne w/Bono tonight.

I do hope that it stays up but be forwarned there is a button that says "21 days left" and I don't know if that's to view it or what...

Anyway Bono was very comfortable and his references to Ali and the Band are ones we already know but how he speaks of God v religion and how he 'confesses his sins via his songs' is rather interesting...

Did you see it?

What did you think?

Havent heard it yet...have my own "meaning of life" going on right now..I will have to go look it up and Lord willing it will be a good distraction from my own troubles...