Openers?

Koke-dera

• Subscriber

So, Arcade Fire is lined up roughly right, while I'd like to think they are past being an opener, they still did Moncton. Anyone else that has stuff coming out in reasonable time to be an opening act? Is Travis out of the question? Where's the threshold for how established the potential acts need to be? Who do you think will line up well with the new album's direction? Any dream openers? I'll unabashedly say I'd love to see Robyn Hitchcock and his band (including Peter Buck), though I think that's unlikely (as is my seeing any shows really). Thievery Corporation has new one in September as well, but again, think that's an unlikely match.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

They shouldn't book bands like Muse and Arcade Fire who are already established and big. They should focus on up-and-coming, smaller artists showing sparks of potential. 

I'm talking The Joy Formidable, Tame Impala, Foals, Frank Turner, The Maccabees, The Horrors, Editors, 2:54, Biffy Clyro (outside the UK, that is), White Lies, The Hives, Yuck, Django Django, Friends, Ghostpoet, Haim, Pulled Apart By Horses, Pure Love. 

For those smaller bands who haven't quite hit the big time yet, a support slot with the biggest band in the world would do them a world of good. I'd rather have those bands than big, established names.

• Subscriber

<<I'm talking The Joy Formidable, Tame Impala, Foals, Frank Turner, The Maccabees, The Horrors, Editors, 2:54, Biffy Clyro (outside the UK, that is), White Lies, The Hives, Yuck, Django Django, Friends, Ghostpoet, Haim, Pulled Apart By Horses, Pure Love. >>

I've only heard a couple songs from Frank Turner, and was thinking he might not be a bad choice, is the rest of his stuff good? I'll take your word on the rest. I think that's another concern - you get a big crowd they can be a wee bit less tolerant of a band that has a single and not much more. 

Editors I think of as the same caliber as Muse and Arcade Fire. If they do arenas - not convinced they will but at least in the US where stadiums seem designed to echo to make them feel big I hope they do - a big opener might make for a very hard to get ticket. Not sure that's a bad thing right now if the market is soft.

• Subscriber

<<I'm talking The Joy Formidable, Tame Impala, Foals, Frank Turner, The Maccabees, The Horrors, Editors, 2:54, Biffy Clyro (outside the UK, that is), White Lies, The Hives, Yuck, Django Django, Friends, Ghostpoet, Haim, Pulled Apart By Horses, Pure Love. >>

I've only heard a couple songs from Frank Turner, and was thinking he might not be a bad choice, is the rest of his stuff good? I'll take your word on the rest. I think that's another concern - you get a big crowd they can be a wee bit less tolerant of a band that has a single and not much more. 

Editors I think of as the same caliber as Muse and Arcade Fire. If they do arenas - not convinced they will but at least in the US where stadiums seem designed to echo to make them feel big I hope they do - a big opener might make for a very hard to get ticket. Not sure that's a bad thing right now if the market is soft.

Most of the bands I've mentioned there have a fair amount of material, the majority have at least one album (in fact, Biffy have 6). Editors would be the same calibre as Muse and Arcade Fire in Europe, but in the UK and US they're only really academy-sized.

• Subscriber

I don't think they would ask Muse again anyway seeing they supported them extensively in US on 360 tour.

As long as I don't have to suffer Glasvegas or Interpol again I don't mind who supports them :)

• Subscriber

I became an Arcade Fire fan in Moncton and would love to see them do their own tour.  It would be cool to see more up and comers with U2 on the next tour however I'll take Florence and The Machine or Lenny Kravitz again, LOL!